• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop filling scratch disks too quickly

Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I am working on a large image file (22,000 x 12,000 pixels). I am working in TIFF format, 8 bit, the file size is about 500mb.

My system is a Mac Pro late 2013, 6 core with 64GB of ram.

There are only about 10 layers in this image: the background is a comped photograph (rasterised to a single layer), above this a couple of color fill layers (one with a graduated mask and one with a black/white mask created from a path). Then there's a few mostly empty layers with relatively tiny areas of cloning brushed into them.

I have no idea if this is important or not but thought perhaps worth mentioning.

Every time I open this image and begin to work on it, my scratch disk, on which there is about 130GB of free space, is filled up within about 5 minutes and I cannot continue working as I get error messages. All I am trying to do is work on the mask of a color fill layer.

Photoshop CC 2017 began doing this today, and I just noticed there is a brand new Photoshop CC, so I decided this would be a good time to upgrade and install a fresh new version. I have the exact same behaviour on the newly installed version of CC too.

(edit) Just wanted to mention that I am working on other images of similar file-size and not experiencing this problem.

Any advice on what is going on? Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Get more scratch space. 130 GB is very little under any circumstance. There's not just the document itself, there's also history states and a bunch of other stuff. Scratch sizes can explode - give it plenty of room.

If you get "out of memory"-messages, that's it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi D Fosse, thanks for the reply. I'll take on board your advice on this and try to find a solution to have more free space.

However, in general for the kind of work I do, I have found 130GB is normally totally sufficient. Whether it's a bug or just a particular element in this document that is extremely memory intensive, I've only had this problem with this one image, and I'd like to understand why that is....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines