• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Lightroom CC Catalog File?

Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using the "new" Lightroom CC on your Desktop / Laptop computer, is a Catalog File and Previews created on your HDD like the Lightroom Classic application? Or is this stored in the Cloud.

If not does that mean if you loose connection from the internet you will not be able to utilize the application.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

It does keep a local cache so you can use it while offline.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does keep a local cache so you can use it while offline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks so I guess the Catalog info is stored in the Cloud and does that info utilize some of the storage availability.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK, the database doesn't count towards cloud storage space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, just learning as much as I can (newbie but love to soak it all up).

If LRCC keeps a copy in the cloud (which I believe you of course Victoria!), it brings two questions to mind:

1.  What does LRCC prompt you to backup your catalogue?  Seems like this isn't required/redundant.

2.  I wonder what happens if you delete your local cached copy (i.e.: simulate a lost/corrupt laptop)

3.  In theory, you could make a change offline on your laptop, and online say with your iPad.  I wonder which wins when you bring your laptop online.  ideally LRCC would make another copy or indicate (like when you make a change it PSCC it increases the file count for that image).

Good tests...someday when I have time unless someone knows! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. It doesn't even ask.

2. Yes, I've done that multiple times. It just downloads a new copy from the cloud.

3. Whichever was done last (although I agree some kind of conflict resolution could be useful - request it at Lightroom CC | Photoshop Family Customer Community )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m trying to move my catalog to my external HD because I don’t have space on my very old MacBook air, but every time it just downloads creates a  catalog in the pictures folder again. Is there anyway to get Lightroom cc to read the catalog from my external HD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not currently possible to have the catalog in any location other than the default location on the system drive. The best you can do is move the slider (in the Preferences>Local Storage tab) all the way to the left, i.e. to 0%. That way only the catalog will be taking up space on the drive, there'll be no cached previews, although this will mean slower performance as you browse images as the original will have to be downloaded each time. Of course you could store the originals locally on a different drive, which would give you the performance back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're on Mac OS you can make a symbolic link:

1. Close Lightroom CC
  2. Copy the Lightroom library to your external drive, let's say /Volumes/External/Pictures
  3. Remove the Lightroom library from the internal drive, or rename it to clear the way for the symbolic link
  4. Open Terminal and run the following command. Change the path to the external drive to match your new library location.
ln -s /Volumes/External/Pictures/Lightroom\ Library.lrlibrary $HOME/Pictures/Lightroom\ Library.lrlibrary

There should now be a link in your internal Pictures folder, pointing at the Lightroom library on the external drive. Re-open Lightroom and it will follow the link and read the library from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,
I'm new to lightroom and have a question.
I take Sport pictures and Day to day Pictures and others.
Is where a way to split the Catalogs as I don't care about the others - I only need to work with them and they popup in all Pictures that I don't like.
Same as the Sport Photos as most of them aren't that good that I like to be shown in All Pictures again.

Or is where a way to exclude Pictures?

Thanks

Chris 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I use Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.2 on a MAC with M1
installed from the Apple Store

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines