• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating albums from filesystem folders in Lightroom CC

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a new Lightroom user. I am trying out the new cloud based Lightroom CC.  For many years, I have been organizing my photos using filesystem folders. I have imported my 8000 photos to the Lightroom CC w/o my existing organization.  Is there anyway to organize these  photos automatically into albums based on my current folder structure in the filesystem? I am trying to avoid doing this manually. Is there any tip on how I should do this?

thanks,

Ferit

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Manually is as good as it gets right now. If you were importing for the first time (or you could remove and add them again), then adding one folder at a time and creating an album for each folder would probably be quicker than manually reorganizing from scratch.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Manually is as good as it gets right now. If you were importing for the first time (or you could remove and add them again), then adding one folder at a time and creating an album for each folder would probably be quicker than manually reorganizing from scratch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a Classic user, but I do have it installed.

For my filesystem folders I created a new Catalog in Classic, made these folders into Collections.

Then Migrated the Catalog into LrCC.

Would that be another option, if Ferit has Classic Victoria? (but you'd have to still delete right?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this method is easier, I can install trial version of Lightroom classic. Victoria, do you think this is a better way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that would work. In the Classic import dialog, make sure you select ADD at the top. And then, once the photos are in, you can drag folders from the Folders panel down to the Collections panel to automatically create collections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a link Ferit.

It may help....

Migrate photos and videos from Lightroom Classic CC to Lightroom CC

Again, Victoria may give some extra advice.

One downside may be that Migration creates a (temporary?) Copy, so you'll need hard disc space to accommodate this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Any new developments on this topic?    Working on a project to load 20 years of photos organized into folders into Adobe Cloud.  Yes. Would like to point to root-folder and have albumns created with photos for every sub-folder.   Understandably this may get complex if users had varying levels of folder-nesting, however, Adobe could handle such a situation this way: 

- Convert each level of HDD folder down from root into nested "Folders" 
- Make the bottom-level HDD folder an "Albumn" 

Example:   
HDD Folder Path:    \2021\November\Thanksgiving at Grandmas
Adobe:   
- 2021 (folder)
--  November (folder) 
---- Thanksgiving at Grandmas (albumn) 

"Make it so!" - Captain Picard 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines