• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Different-Sized Print Ads with Same Info, Update All at Once?

Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if there was a way in Photoshop (I'm using CC 2014) to create a print display ad and then create different sizes with the same information and if I change the info in one (maybe the original), the info in all of the others will update.

Thanks in advance.

Lloyd

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

To my knowledge, there is no way of changing information between different files on photoshop - Indesign this is possible to a degree.

If you only have access to photoshop you could perhaps create an action, but you're limited as to what you can do and it's very hit and miss.

Failing that, unfortunately (at least to my knowledge) you're stuck manually doing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To my knowledge, there is no way of changing information between different files on photoshop - Indesign this is possible to a degree.

If you only have access to photoshop you could perhaps create an action, but you're limited as to what you can do and it's very hit and miss.

Failing that, unfortunately (at least to my knowledge) you're stuck manually doing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, charlesd8830180. I'm probably going to do it in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can absolutely do this...

Use Artboards if you want to create multiple documents and/or multiple sizes in one file.

Choose one of the following options to update info.

• Option One - Smart Objects
    If you turn those items into Smart Objects and duplicate the smart object layer to make another instance, any updates made to one of these Smart Objects will be applied to all of its' other instances. Don't choose New Smart Object via Copy for this particular task as that will create an Independent copy where changes made to one do not affect the other.
  • Option Two - CC Library Item
    Another option is to add the item in question to a CC Library and then use the Library item as needed. Any edits made to library item will auto update all open files and prompt you to update any other files that use the library item when you do open them. Here is a video I made a while ago that briefly covers this - I created the library item in Illustrator but you can also create the item in Photoshop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8_4_SA1-WI
  • Option Three - File > Place Linked
    Create a file with the content you want to be the same and then use File > Place Linked to add to your main document (yes, you can place a PSD file into another PSD file). Updates will essentially work the same as Library Items.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks jmeredith. I'm trying to figure out if it's even worth having linked items in the ads because there are so many different configurations, so I'd probably just use the linking for the text, whihc means it might be better to create them in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you go the InDesign route, this new feature may be helpful.

“ MANAGE TEXT IN CC LIBRARIES

Libraries in InDesign now support text, so you can store and access the passages you use most — like taglines, brand marketing descriptions, and other boilerplate copy. Plus, share text between InDesign and Illustrator libraries.”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really don't deserve the points, so if you can please remove and give to jmeredith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines