• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Not enough disk space to complete the migration

Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to migrate my catalog to Lightroom CC, and I'm seeing the message "Not enough disk space to complete the migration: Lightroom CC needs enough space to copy your photos and videos before uploading to the cloud".

The photos are all stored on a fileserver, and there's far too many of them to copy to my workstation's hard drive. I tried to work around this by setting the local folder in Lightroom CC to a folder on my fileserver (with the requisite amount of space available), but it doesn't change the situation.

I want to use Lightroom CC precisely because I can't fit these files on my PC.

How can I complete the migration so I can try LR CC out?

In case it's relevant, I'm currently running this on a Windows 10 PC.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Ok, I've come up with a highly questionable workaround. Here's the trick: Lightroom can't tell the difference between an iSCSI volume and a real hard drive. So you can create an iSCSI LUN on your fileserver, then mount this on your PC and set that as LR CC's local destination. I'm using a Synology NAS which has support for iSCSI built-in, so it was relatively painless. Here are the instructions I used:

On creating an iSCSI LUN: https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Virtualization/How_to_use_the_iSCSI_Target_service_on_Synology_NAS

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the LR CC preferences click on Advanced and uncheck 'store a copy of all originals locally'. Does that help?

Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 1.18.06 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That option was already unchecked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re: Leave Photos Where they Are on Import?

This is the same problem as discussed in the link above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My reading of that issue is that the user was trying to import files, not migrate a catalog. As far as I know there isn't a way to import catalogs in small batches, as was suggested.

I also just noticed that if you set the local folder to a network drive, LR CC just silently ignores you, and sets it back to the original location (without enough space).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many photos/videos are in your Lightroom Classic catalog?   How much space is available on your local drive?

Does it help if you increase the Target Available Disk Space Usage from 25% to 75%?

When you get the dialog showing there is not enough space for migration, is there a option to View the Log File?   The log file should state how much space is available and how much more is required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are around 100,000 images of roughly 2TB. The log file indicates that there are indeed 2TB of photos and that there is only 500GB space available on my local disk. There is only 1TB of storage on my workstation total.

Changing the available disk space target does not change anything -- as best I can see, LR is trying to copy all the files to local storage before uploading to the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I've come up with a highly questionable workaround. Here's the trick: Lightroom can't tell the difference between an iSCSI volume and a real hard drive. So you can create an iSCSI LUN on your fileserver, then mount this on your PC and set that as LR CC's local destination. I'm using a Synology NAS which has support for iSCSI built-in, so it was relatively painless. Here are the instructions I used:

On creating an iSCSI LUN: https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Virtualization/How_to_use_the_iSCSI_Target...

On mounting that iSCSI LUN in Windows 10: http://www.thecus.com/download/howtoguide/HowtoConnecttoaniSCSITargetUsingWindows.pdf

The migration is now underway, but it will probably be a week before it completes, so it's too early to say if it will work, but this is progress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Think you may be doing some new stuff here..... good stuff and good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Migration creates a temporary Copy and needs space to accommodate this unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having kind of a similar issue, but it's becoming highly frustrating.

Every try takes over two hours (of checking file paths), and then, bam, not enough drive space. First it was both for the destination of all my files, which after multiple tries, ended being fine (once I had cleared a good 15-20% more than required).

Now though, the problem is with main storage. LR CC says I need 69.4 Gb (the first few tries said 66). I've cleared plenty more than that (40 Gb now to be precise) and still, it doesn't seem like it's enough for Lightroom. I'm out of options. Nothing else I can delete without having to buy yet another external hard drive (which is what I was trying to avoid in the first place when I upgraded to LR CC 1TB).

This is frustrating and extremely badly designed. It feels like the whole system was designed for point and shoot camera users or something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, and why the hell would Lightroom not remember the ​(enter caps lock swear word)​ file paths rather than have to re-check them for hours EVERY SINGLE time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically the same issue(s).

This is ridiculous.  I have around 72K photos all properly organized on disk locally, and in a Lightroom (now) Classic CC catalog.  I certainly do not want to convert my (working) catalog, and I do not want to copy them anywhere, just want to add them to Lightroom (new) CC so I can test how well it works - seems very feature sparse compared to classic.  And even if I did want to migrate, seems that too wants to copy.  What gives?

Fails at the first fence as it wants to copy these files - they are already full-res, properly organized - just need ADD.

Sure, I get I could use this with the Cloud but even with Store Original Locally unchecked (default state) - Lightroom says no space.  Why would it need to copy anything anywhere.

Not looking good right now Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2017 Nov 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastic, but this only works (without a lot of workarounds) on a Windows system. I'm on Mac with 500GB total HD space and have a Synology NAS where all of my photos (>500GB) are stored.

Short of buying an external USB drive simply to accomplish the conversion, I'm stuck for now. Is there a good reason I can't use a network drive as the target for my photos during the conversion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Is there a good reason I can't use a network drive as the target for my photos during the conversion?

No, just that Adobe disabled it probably because beta testers were experiencing problems. Since migration can take many days to fully upload all images, my guess is that during the migration people were getting disconnected from their NAS and the migration failing because of it.

This is quite advanced but there is a way around this. Some NAS systems allow you to connect through iSCSI protocol and if you install a iSCSI driver, you can make NAS drives to appear to be local disks also on Mac OS X or windows. Depending on your NAS it might come with software to do this. This is not for the fainthearted though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is correct, I was able to set up an iSCSI partition on my Synology NAS and get it opened using the free iSCSI initiator from KernSoft. Still working through some local HD space issues, and agree that handling this transition is not for the faint of heart. Seems that Adobe could improve the experience for people beyond the "plain Vanilla" user here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've heard quite a few times now from Adobe folks and surrogates that if you have a large catalog of images from big cameras you are not the target audience for Lightroom CC. This thing really seems to be aimed at the millennial iPhone shooting crowd and the hipsters with the Leicas and Fuji XT's. Nothing wrong with that but it does leave the power users that still would like a cloud solution out a bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's silly, too.  The iPhone shooting crowd is walking around with 12MP cameras that also shoot HD or even 4K video.  I am having trouble migrating simply because I've amassed 1TB of photos and videos over the last couple decades.  That's going to happen to a lot of people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines