• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.chproj file is 0 bytes, cant import into after effects

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I produce a youtube show where I use character animator to animate puppets of a freind and I that provide commentary

heres an example

Sega Racers for DOS - Sega Races to the bottom - Game Pulp Adventures - YouTube

Normally I record the puppet performances in character animator and then import them into after effects to composit them with other elements,  however with the new non beta character animator, the .chproj files that were produced, the ones with our performances, and the ones that I usually import into after effects directly, are now 0 bytes, and after effects simply says 'the project could not be opened'

is there something Im missing here? Has anybody else had this issue?

thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Character Animator project is the folder itself that contains the .chproj file and the Ch Data and Ch Media subfolders that contain the actual data. The .chproj file has always been 0 bytes -- it's mainly there so you can double-click or select something when importing. Do you have those Ch Data and Ch Media subfolders next to your .chproj file?

When you import into After Effects (via AE's Import File dialog box or by dragging the .chproj into AE's Project panel), it should initiate a Dynamic Link connection and open the Import Character Animator Scene dialog box so you can select the scene to import.

Do you also have the latest After Effects CC (i.e., version 15.0, Adobe After Effects CC 2018 in the title bar) installed, too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah it would seem that for some reason when I told CC to update everything, it did,...except for after effects. That is probably it and now I feel dumb. Updating (again) now and hopefully thatll fix it

Thank you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2018 Jun 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I understand that the .chproj files are 0 bytes, but I'm trying to send them by e-mail, but I can't because for the computer it's "an empty file"

There's any solution?

I tried compessing the file and send it, but the person who received it told me there was nothing on the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 23, 2018 Jun 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The project is the entire folder that the .chproj file is in, so you'll need to archive (.zip) the folder that contains the .chproj, Ch Data, and Ch Media subfolders, and send that .zip file. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same problem. I have 2 project files and all of them became 0 bytes after my computer shutdown unexpectedly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have the same problem.All of my files had become 0 bytes. What should we do now.I can't import to CH..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did the information in my Oct 19, 2017 reply help? Note that .chproj files are always 0 bytes. It's the Ch Data subfolder next to it that contains the actual project data. A Character Animator project is a folder that contains the .chproj file, Ch Data subfolder, and Ch Media subfolder.

If you're trying to use a CH scene in AE, it's easier to just drag the scene from CH's Project panel into AE's Project panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when i try to encode that .chproj  file in media encoder, its not working. dynamic link error.
while opening .chproj files  in CH files are copying but there's nothing at there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the latest installed version of Character Animator and Adobe Media Encoder? If so, from Character Animator, if you open the scene, then choose File > Export > Video via Adobe Media Encoder, it should work that way. No need to try to import the .chproj file directly and select a scene.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines