Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cropped image - Spherize effect centred on entire image

Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks

So, I have a cropped image which I want to distort with a fish-eye type effect.  The problem is that the centre of the sphere is being set relative to the full image area, not the cropped version.  This means that the effect is not symmetrical on my cropped image.

I have cropped it with the "delete cropped pixels" option enabled, but this doesn't seem to be working - after confirming the crop, I can still reveal the original image by editing the crop area.  I thought that deleting the cropped area would be the solution to my problem, but since this isn't working I can't confirm this.

Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

I guess the easiest thing to do in your case is Rasterize the Smart Object before cropping and then run the Spherize filter.

Right click to the right of  the Smart Object Thumbnail in the layers panel and then click on Rasterize Layer.

Screenshot-(153).png

You can read about smart objects and smart filters here and see if that's something your interested in using.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/create-smart-objects.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/applying-smart-filters.html#applying_smart_filters

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of photoshop and operating system are you using?

Are you working with a layer that was turned into a smart object before you did the cropping?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the latest CC version (updated yesterday) on Windows 10.

I don't know what a smart object is, but if I right click on the layer I get the option "convert to smart object", so I guess that means it's not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does your layer have a symbol in the bottom right like in the screenshot below?

Screenshot-(152).png

If your unsure, you could post a screenshot of your layers panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah - yep, it does

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess the easiest thing to do in your case is Rasterize the Smart Object before cropping and then run the Spherize filter.

Right click to the right of  the Smart Object Thumbnail in the layers panel and then click on Rasterize Layer.

Screenshot-(153).png

You can read about smart objects and smart filters here and see if that's something your interested in using.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/create-smart-objects.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/applying-smart-filters.html#applying_smart_filters

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks - that did the trick!

I duplicated the layer first so I can make changes later if needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines