• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a solution for Device Preview in Photoshop CC 2018?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see from this article that Device Preview has been removed. This is really a bad move. WTH Adobe?https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/devicepreview.html?mv=product&mv2=ps&x-product=Photoshop%2F1...

Device Preview in Photoshop

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here and I don't really understand that you've removed such required feature without any proper alternative - I would fully understand it would not be a part of the default installation, but I would expect that I would be able to add this feature back via an extension, switch or something.

I guess there is something bigger behind this decision, but if so I would expect Adobe properly explains what led to such a decision without providing an alternative so we all can understand that you've not threw us without the reason.

Since I'm the UI designer I rely on this feature pretty heavily. Thanks to this my workflow will be way much slower now. Hope you guys are happy - you saved your time at the expense of ours!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there some reason you have to not run the old version when you need this feature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I updated via Creative Cloud, it removed CC 2017. With that said, I see why Adobe removed this feature. Photoshop was always, by default, a photo editing application. It was never intended to be a web/mobile app design tool. Sure, you could make elements for use on web and mobile, but it's not good at streamlining the UI/UX process for web and mobile development. There are better alternatives, such as Sketch, Figma, and Adobe's own Experience Design. Experience Design allows live preview while designing mobile apps, which is really nice. There are a lot of glaring features that it still lacks compared to other UI design tools, but it is getting there, and hopefully it will add many of the features that make working between Adobe products simple. Right now, it's a but of a challenge... can't import a layered PSD, no smart objects, etc.

If you're doing web and mobile app design and prototyping, I would seriously give Experience Design a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I just noticed this, and when you update to the latest version WITHOUT ANY WARNING that device preview was removed... What is this? Aprils fools?

and well..since I already removed CC 2017 and can't get it back through the CCloud, maybe I should cancel my subcription and go back to cracked version 2017?

At least my WORKFLOW WON'T BE DESTROYED suddenly....

Thanks a lot @adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just realised, this is a sumb@g move from Adobe. They are just trying to get all the designers to pay for ADOBE XD.

And I actually already subscribed to XD, but it's only fro prototyping. It's MILES AWAY from being a complete and precise design tool as PS.

Sad reality? LIVE PREVIEW DOESN'T WORK IN Windows (it's Mac only) >> so balls!

But anyway, if device preview doesn't comeback to PS, I might as well go try Invision Studio which is promising a lot!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"..since I already removed CC 2017 and can't get it back through the CCloud," Why not? Does it not work or do you not know how? Running two versions is the smart way to deal with the upgrade period.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already found the way to downgrade it. Anyway, it's crap move from Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps Skala is a good alternative? It seems to do the exact same thing, and also supports Android, which Device Preview never did. Includes a Photoshop plugin, but also works with other design software.

Skala Preview

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I mean is that it seems good practice not to just upgrade to the new version and delete the old, but to have both available.  There are always bugs in new releases. And surprises. This means that if any problem comes up you can run the old software and deal with the problem at leisure. I don't understand why people update instantly. I always wait at least 3 months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel you are somewhat missing the point here: Adobe did not give any forewarning it would be discontinuing the Device Preview. It was only introduced two years ago, and it's obviously discontinued in favour of their Adobe XD product (which is still pretty bad in its current state compared to what is out there).

But it is not as if this is surprising behaviour: Adobe's management has a colourful history introducing software products and features, only to pull the rug from under their users by discontinuing said products a few years later. It seems to be quite difficult for Adobe to stay a course in regards to web and mobile development/design. They keep introducing new things, work on it a bit, and then drop those.

I installed XD, and to be honest it's not production ready at all. It will need a few more years of development - while much better competing prototyping software is available now. I just don't understand why Adobe is re-inventing the wheel once again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree. Although Photoshop might not have been intended to be a UI design application, it has a lot of features that make it a better choice for advanced interactive designers who are doing things that are a bit more sophisticated than average web and mobile app design work.

XD has potential, but is missing a lot of things that are essential for an efficient digital design workflow. Photoshop's linked smart objects, layer comps, auto-generation of assets, auto-organizing asset folders, ability to effectively interface with a wide variety of other media formats, and a few other things aren't available in XD, Sketch, or other simplified UI design apps. Only Affinity Designer gets close...just wish it had a larger user base.

But anyways, yea, it's a pretty stupid decision to just cut Device Preview from the latest PSD release without any warning. You can do way better Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can install and use older versions such as CC 2017 through the Creative Cloud Desktop app.

If you did not delete your old preferences and presets, they will be waiting for you.

Not ideal I understand, but you can work as you did before the upgrade.

Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 11.33.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 11.37.14 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why they removed this is beyond me. It was a perfect feature to instantly preview sizing of gui-elements on mobile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This really killed my workflow. going back to Photoshop 2017 is not a solution because 2017 doesn't play well with the latest Mac OS. Skala is not a solution either because it does not work with Photoshop art boards. The only solution is to give up designing interfaces with Photoshop and switch to Adobe XD or Sketch. Not sure the tactic of removing important features (WITHOUT WARNING) will inspire users to jump to another Adobe product. Sketch seems to be the new industry standard.

Seems self-destructive on the part of Adobe. Not sure I've seen them make such a terrible move in the past. Live and learn -dp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I created an awesome App named Design Mirror that works exactly like Device Preview.

Event more it supports Android devices to connect.

You can find more info on the website Design Mirror - preview on photoshop and sketch

May this tool helps with you design.

300x0w.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but it isn't in english..what's the point?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's has English version... select the language you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You as bad as Adobe using a subscription but than for a simple and basic app. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a solution for Device Preview in Photoshop CC 2018?​

Yes. Skala Preview​​ is a free alternative app that fulfilled this need for my team.

While leading a CX team of 22 for an online health store, we ran into the same challenge (with Device Preview being discontinued). Searching turned up Skala Preview among others, and we found it effective – running on MacOS Mojave and Adobe Photoshop CC, along with various iPhones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines