1 2 3 Previous Next 86 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2018 5:01 PM by cliftonmeek

Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES

guidos50720937 Level 1

I just updated Photoshop to the latest update ( 19.0 20170929.r.165 2017/09/29: 1138933  x64)
      and it completely ignores the tablet properties such as:

a) Pen Pressure (the pen no longer have pen pressure, no matter if windows ink is turned on or of)
      b) Screen Lock (the tablet should lock on Monitor 1 while using Photoshop, and it doesn't)

Every other software i'm using such as Clip studio Paint, zBrush and so on are working fine.

While photoshop completely ignores them.

The previous version used to work fine, but it's been overwritten by the new one without even asking.

The software, no matter the new features, has got worse with every update in terms of performance,
      stability, and usability.

Introducing the standard windows Alt key behaviour was already driving me nuts.

i still have not tried the windows ink workaround
      i hope this gets fixed TODAY because as it is, PS is useless to me, and i'll be moving to
      any alternative available.

• 1. Re: Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES
          guidos50720937 Level 1

Update, the previous Win Ink workaround fix pen pressure and the screen lock

Trevor.Dennis  ha scritto

hansb90361119 wrote:

If you check the "use windows ink" for wacom intous 5 (most likly all of the models) you are getting a REALLY annoying lag with zoom and pen size adjuster etc. If you turn it off, it works perfect, but the downside is the pen pressure opacity don't work.

You've turned off Windows Ink, so without supplying an alternative, pen pressure is not going to work.  You have to enable WinTab.

If Windows Ink is disabled

1. Create a file that contains instructions to revert to the WinTab functionality.

2. Create a text file in a text editor such as Notepad.

Type in the following lines:

# Use WinTab

UseSystemStylus 0

3. Save the file as a plain text file named PSUserConfig.txt

4. Put (copy) the file into the Photoshop settings folder: C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015 Settings\

5. Restart Photoshop and check the pen pressure and overall performance.

27 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES
            Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi guidos,

Thanks for reporting this issue.

Could you confirm if the workaround mentioned by TrevorDennis has been working fine for you?

We are investigating this issue and will get back with more updates.

Thanks,

Akash

• 3. Re: Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES
              hadhouud Level 1

Hi,

I have the same issue here. Photoshop 19.0 Release is completely ignoring my Wacom intuos pro properties.

On the new lightroom version it works perfectly but not on photoshop.

I'm using a macbook pro on MacOs Sierra version 10.12.6.

Can someone help ?

• 4. Re: Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES

Hi hadhouud,

Could you please take a look at this article Menus, shortcuts, Lasso tool, or Photoshop stop working when using a Wacom tablet | Mac OS and let us know if that helps?

~Akash

• 5. Re: Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES
                  hadhouud Level 1

Hi, after different manipulations I was able to resolve the issue yesterday night.

I had to delete all my preferences of my Wacom tablet and finally I was able to assign specific keys to Photoshop that was recognized by the application.

I don't know why it happens as I only updated Photoshop and Lightroom before having the issue.

Anyway, if someone is having the same issue he should delete all the preferences of the Wacom or restore a configuration backup and it should resolve the problem.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES

Thanks for your input hadhouud, This might help others having the similar issue.

Glad it is now working fine.

Regards,

Akash

• 7. Re: Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES
                      frankenpaul Level 1

The new Adobe Illustrator 2018 also ignores the tablet's preferences. Sad to have to delete and reset all of the preferences for all of my programs just to get things to work properly. But sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.

• 8. Re: Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES
                        guidos50720937 Level 1

Yes, it did, but the issue with windows ink is getting pretty boring since it comes back with every major Update

You should start considering the possibility of choosing the this option in the control panel (At Least)

BTW, the wacom drivers work PERFECTLY FINE with any other software, windows ink or not.

• 9. Re: Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES
                          JaniYlinen Level 1

This solution helped me. I have used this solution for very long time.

What is strange is that as far as i can member i didnt add this file to photoshop 2018 settings folder but the file was already there but with wrong extension. For some really strange reason the file was named as PSUserConfig.txt.txt

• 10. Re: Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES
                            harryp77716229 Level 1

This solution has not helped me.  I was previously using an intuos pro medium but a couple of months ago purchased a new Wacom and now have the Wacom intuos pro PTH-660 with the latest drivers.  I am using Windows 7.  Unfortunately the advice has not helped and I am unable to use any function with the Wacom in photoshop 2018 and have had to revert to photoshop 2017 until this issue is resolved.

• 11. Re: Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES
                              jwmphotog Level 1

I just (11/1/17) had Adobe tech remote to my computer to fix this issue. He tried everything and in the end said that I just needed to use 2017 until Wacom updates their drivers. Ummm, Yeah, so my Wacom works flawlessly with every other software but PS2018. Maybe Adobe should look into it and own the problem at their end.

• 12. Re: Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES
                                Beachsweeper Level 1

I too am reverting to using only PS CC 2017 (not the upgrade 2018, which I already did install) until SOMEONE fixes this.

I put the PSUserConfig.txt file in the PS settings folder [see thread above] for the upgrade, which did not help. (My memory of problems since installing the upgrade is now fuzzy since I've encountered so many problems, but it's possible it DID help with a problem in 2017 when I RE-installed it after upgrading2018+uninstalling2017.)

I have the latest Wacom driver (as of this moment) for my Intuos Pro 4M, which seems to work fine in other apps (LR and plug-ins; OS and browser, etc).
                                Have also installed latest video card driver at various times when advised that could be THE problem, too. But was not.

[Not being able to use the Alt-key in some instances is one thing, but I can NOT function in PS without an accurate Wacom pen!]

Optional rant:

To TPTB: I'm just a user and not a software engineer, but please don't tell me how 'this stuff is so complicated.' PLEASE try harder to debug your products (even though you already have our money with the subscription model, hmmmm...) and not just shove whatever you have done so far out the door because you want to hype the latest 'features' at your latest conference, etc. Failing that, could you make it easier for us users to report these bugs and then get some feedback from you as to when we may expect a correction? (as in: quickly, please... IMO the subscription model was partly sold on 'we can get new things out to you so much faster' but I do not feel that is also the case for corrections!).

And it would be even better if these companies (Adobe, MS, Wacom, video card manufacturers) stopped blaming each other's products/drivers for errors (even if true, at least partly) and started to work together to either fix the OVERALL problem or at least inform the customer who ends up VERY FRUSTRATED.

Thanks for anyone reading this whole msg. ;-)

3 people found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES
                                  nicolashe Level 1

The issue of pen pressure and setting from wacom with photoshop has been present in windows since I have memory.... How many of this post are needed for the team of both major players in Digital painting decide is a big worth fixing?

2 people found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES
                                    mcjannet Level 1

Same problem here, I have to go back to 2017 until it gets fixed. Because this problem just keeps coming back in new upgrades, would it be possible to check and fix this issue always before the publication?

Best,

Janne

• 15. Re: Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES
                                      klautier Level 1

guidos50720937  wrote

1. Create a file that contains instructions to revert to the WinTab functionality.

2. Create a text file in a text editor such as Notepad.

Type in the following lines:

# Use WinTab

UseSystemStylus 0

3. Save the file as a plain text file named PSUserConfig.txt

4. Put (copy) the file into the Photoshop settings folder: C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015 Settings\

5. Restart Photoshop and check the pen pressure and overall performance.

This technically does work. But if you use Win10 it no longer has WinTab so use this instead:

# Use Wacom Professional Service

UseSystemStylus 0

I haven't tested it in 2018, but i had the same issue when I reverted to 2017 and updated my drivers. This SHOULD fix it

5 people found this helpful
                                      • 16. Re: Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES
                                        Juhana Myllys Level 1

Seems like in CC 2018 this route is no longer valid:

C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015 Settings\

So where should I put the the file?

• 17. Re: Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES
                                          MicahBurke Level 1

Is there no answer? None of this works for Win 10 / PS CC 2018

• 18. Re: Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES
                                            MicahBurke Level 1

gddmit.jpg

Come on Adobe, this is your issue.

• 19. Re: Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES
                                              kites_art Level 1

Just got 2018 on my cintiq companion, only to find i have this same issue.  

• 20. Re: Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES
                                                Juhana Myllys Level 1

ink.jpg

This is the most annoying thing that Windows Ink (and Photoshop) does. The upper side of that image is Windows Ink OFF and the down side in Ink ON. If you paint that shape fast enough (regular drawing speed) It combines the strokes for absolutely no reason. It makes these stupid triangles. I can get rid of it if I disable Windows Ink but then there is no pen pressure

I have Cintiq 24HD, Photoshop CC 2018 and Win 10 and all the latest drivers. The same bug is in My Wacom Mobile Studio (Win10, CC 2018).

I have the same setup in my iMac and there is NO bug. So it's this lovely Windows ink + Photoshop that just makes me wanna cry

• 21. Re: Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES
                                                  JaniYlinen Level 1

You have to disable windows ink from wacom settings and from windows 10 settings.

Then make PSUserConfig.txt  containing following two lines

# Use WinTab

UseSystemStylus 0

Save PSUserConfig.txt  to following location

C:\Users\YOUR_USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018 Settings

Restart photoshop

windows ink.pngPSUserConfig.png

6 people found this helpful
                                                  • 22. Re: Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES
                                                    Juhana Myllys Level 1

Ok so this helped for me. Windows Ink bugs are gone and pen pressure works.

Nice! Perfect? No.

Brush smoothing got worse. It's not as bad as smoothing disabled but something between that and what it was before when it worked. I had this same problem couple of Wacom driver updates ago. Still... I prefer this rather than those Windows Ink bugs.

• 23. Re: Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES
                                                      JaniYlinen Level 1

In photoshop 2018 there is quite nice and adjustable brush smoothing now.

If that is not enough I really recommend trying Lazy Nezumi... It is pretty much amazing... and works with any drawing app and even with substance painter and such ...https://lazynezumi.com/

• 24. Re: Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES
                                                        MicahBurke Level 1

Still not working for me.

• 25. Re: Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES
                                                          MicahBurke Level 1

It DOES work for me.  But the ! remains on the brush until you start to use it.

• 26. Re: Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES
                                                            M Shaw Adobe Employee

I would like to get a list of what the issues are that prevent you from using Windows Ink. (as noted above when using Windows Ink the legacy stroke smoothing is better than when running through WinTab) I am unable to replicate the closing of arc described above. Most of the UI issues (i.e. press hold animation) can be turned within the OS. The outstanding one that I know of is the modifier key label at your cursor when using a stylus.

On the Warning icon next to dynamics set to stylus are you running into instances where it does not get removed once the stylus has been used on the document?

• 27. Re: Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES
                                                              Juhana Myllys Level 1

Try replicate (closing of arc) with a brush that has no transfer and no shape dynamics. Just make it fast enough.

My Windows Ink bugs:

- Closing arc.

- ALT, SHIFT, CONTROL pop-ups on screen when ever I use them while painting.

- I'm using double click in my lower pen button. It's very unreliable. If I press the pen button to get brush list it works maybe 70% at the time. Really annoying since it is used a lot.

All these bugs together makes painting very frustrating.

• 28. Re: Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES
                                                                Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

Blimey, there are some funny old posts in this thread.

The WinTab text file is not a workaround, so much as choosing to use a different API.  I don't know about Mac systems, but Windows 8.1 and 10 seem to work better with WinTab.  Guillaume, the author of Lazi Nezumi Pro used to be of the opinion that WinTab is the best choice with Windows 8.1 and 10, but now says that later versions of Photoshop CC support Windows Ink, so use whichever works best for you.

Remember to turn off Windows Ink in Tablet Properties if you want to go with the WinTab API

Someone asked where to put the WinTab text file, and they are going to kick themselves if they have not already worked it out.  CC 2015 was current when the thread some people have linked to was written. 

C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015 Settings\

So when each new version of Photoshop is released, you have to copy the WinTab file to the new location:

C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2017\Adobe Photoshop CC 2017 Settings\

C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018 Settings\

If you have an issue that is of a general nature, then it is usually worth checking the forum Overview page, where all sorts of guides and links can be found.  Jeff Tranberry's Trouble Shooting guide, various FAQs, and this Tablet Set-Up guide.  I think some of this info is also helpful with non-Wacom tablets.

Tablet support for Photoshop on Windows 8

I'm sorry but I don't know how it works with Macs.

• 29. Re: Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES
                                                                  Klecktacular Level 1

I ran into the same pressure sensitivity issue, and the PSUserConfig.txt fix worked for me.

It's kind of crazy to me that every time Photoshop, Wacom drivers, or Windows is updated, all three break compatibility with each other. Software development can't be easy, but how is it that the two biggest companies in the art industry still can't play nice with each other after all these years?

• 30. Re: Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES
                                                                    Kabezuki Level 1

Hi there,

Same problem here, but solved with the .txt workaround. However, still one major problem: been set that .txt, cannot configure my wacom for using one screen with Photoshop but both (screens) for the rest. I mean, If I set just one screen for Photoshop, it's been auto-set all to just one screen. If I then change the rest to two screens, it auto turns Photoshop to two screens too. Is that normal?

• 31. Re: Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES
                                                                      MaryHone Level 1

I seem to be unable to find this path to place the text file. Nothing shows up with this file name under users>mary.

• 32. Re: Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES
                                                                        JaniYlinen Level 1

The file does not exist there by default. You have to create it. in folder right click with mouse and choose "new text document". the Text editor opens and you have to write in the document two lines

# Use WinTab

UseSystemStylus 0

Save the document by name PSUserConfig.txt

Restart photoshop

• 33. Re: Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES
                                                                          tallulahlucy Level 1

It worked!! Thank you so much. I tried everything else and this solved the problem immediately. You're a lifesaver

• 34. Re: Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES
                                                                            NewStreetPhoto Level 1

I have an issue with Lightroom cc [latest update] where the sliders won't grab with the pen on my Wacom Intuos Pro. It doesn't seem to effect Photoshop which works fine. I've updated the Wacom driver but this has only partially fixed the problem.

Barry

• 35. Re: Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES
                                                                              tomk20376176 Level 1

Mary, if you are on a Windows PC then this is most likely because your file explorer is currently not set to display "hidden files". To get your file explorer to show hidden files you can do this:

Control Panel > Appearance and Personalisation > File Explorer Options

Then, in the "View" panel look for the "Hidden files and folders" option and set it to "Show hidden files, folders and drives". Hope that helps.

• 36. Re: Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES
                                                                                Heinrich Zaayman Level 1

Hi I am running Windows 10 Photoshop 19.01 with my Wacom Cintiq tablet. Same issue as everyone else, no pressure sensitivity. when I enable windows Ink I get the sensitivity but many of my shortcuts are being overridden for some reason (shift+cntrl+alt for the color wheel now copies the layer instead). Some of the most simple ones have a delayed response. (alt key for eye dropper tool). The shortcut keys are also being displayed beneath my cursor. All of this makes it extremely difficult to paint quickly and effectively.

I have tried the .txt file solution to no avail in Photoshop 2018. I am reverting back to Photoshop 2017 to see if it will work there.

I agree with everyone on this forum that this issue is too large of a problem for too many professionals for it to be a low priority fix. Please please please resolve this. I do not understand how 3 major companies (Wacom, Windows, and Adobe) serving creative professional, somehow cannot get the most basic functionality right. I know this might not be on Adobe's end but any help would be much appreciated.

• 37. Re: Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES
                                                                                  alanc94157700 Level 1

I have also been freaking out with the 'menage a trois' of Wacom, Photoshop and Windows 10.  Not a happy relationship.....tempestuous to say the least.  So this morning I uninstalled Wacom altogether using Revo uninstaller.  Downloaded the latest Wacom driver for the Intuos M that I have and hey presto.....they seem to have renewed their vows!

Basically all my issues were as per ALL the Googled issues folks have had.  Everything works now including using 2 screens.

Something I have noticed is that 'Force Proportions' in 'Mapping' is best left unchecked.

I have Windows ink checked in Wacom and I have Windows Pen and Ink set to defaults.

I am not going to restore my Wacom back up settings but rather start from scratch.

BONUS!  I have my custom pen button settings back. 

As someone mentioned it is totally unsatisfactory that Wacom, PS and Microsoft cannot get their act together and sort this ongoing problem out.  Shame on all three of you.

• 38. Re: Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES
                                                                                    Kyle Appelgate Level 1

thank you, this seems to have worked for me!

• 39. Re: Photoshop CC 2018 IGNORES TABLET PROPERTIES
                                                                                      debofca Level 1

I have an alternative that worked for PSE (2018 is fixed, I'll check and see if other versions are fixed)

I have Wacom Intuos Pro Medium (Pen and Touch, but I only use Pen) on Windows 10

Open your Wacom Tablet Properties (from the start menu)

Click the "+" near Applications (1)

Then choose the open application (e.g. PhotoshopElementsEditor)  (2)

Making sure the Photoshop Application Tab is highlighted,  select the settings you prefer.  For me, I had to have "Use Windos Ink" checked for the pressure sensitivity to work on the brushes. (3) (4)

I also had to choose to have my pen pressure more firm in PSE than in my other programs.

TabProps1.jpg

TabProps2.jpg

If this works for you, open Wacom Preference File Utility and back up these settings!  I made folder called WacomStuff, where I keep the .wacomprefs file (in case I have to restore) and all the driver versions (in case I have to reinstall the driver after the next big Windows update)

WacomPrefFileUtility.jpg

1 2 3 Previous Next