• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Images will not display when site is uploaded onto a server

Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just "published" my site as "Export as HTML". I created a "new_site" folder in my old website and exported new files into that folder. I then went to Dreamweaver (as my old site is on it and I don't want to erase it before testing a new site) and uploaded "new_site" folder onto a server via FTP. Everything works except not a single image displays. I tried to upload just "images" folder which took about 20 min and it made no difference. Is there a way for the images to be visible? Aslo, when Muse generated html it generated about 11 versions of each image.  My original images are about 500K and there are about 10 of smaller images that were generated from each 500K image.  Is this normal and it that a part of a problem?

Note: this website is not hosted by Adobe, but I think it should not be a problem?

Please help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Muse generates 11 Versions of your images it might be that you use 11 breakpoints?

To upload an extra folder with images is quite useless, as Muse generates all the code to link to images.

Where should your index.html know where to get the files from, if you replace it with manually added folders?

If you edit your Muse created site with Dreamweaver, Muse can`t be used anymore for this site.

If you use "Export as html" you should use a ftp.programm to upload your site manually to your ftp-folder.

If you want to "save" your old site (which is not a bad idea at all BTW), move the whole site inside your ftp to a new folder (old-site),

and then upload your new site to your root directory (which is now empty) and look what happens.

The way you did it, you could watch your site as "your-domain.com/new_site".

Could you provide a link?

Best Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe, thanks for all the input. I think the problem was that I uploaded the whole website into the "new_site" subfolder  (including jpeg images) and the image links got messed up. I was able to solve the problem by backing up up my old website to my computer, removing it from the server, and uploading my new website directly into the Public directory using Muse FTP. So far so good!
BTW, I did not have 11 breakpoints. Most of my pages use 2-4 breakpoints.  I think extra images  most likely were generated for responsive/resizing purposes- some images for the thumbnails, some for slides in the slideshow. I hear that Wordpress does the same.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

yuliahart  schrieb

BTW, I did not have 11 breakpoints. Most of my pages use 2-4 breakpoints.  I think extra images  most likely were generated for responsive/resizing purposes- some images for the thumbnails, some for slides in the slideshow. I hear that Wordpress does the same.

That might be the case with your site. Just was wondering.

Glad that you got it working with the backup and the real site. Publish to ftp is by far the easiest.

Best Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yuliahart  wrote

when Muse generated html it generated about 11 versions of each image.  My original images are about 500K and there are about 10 of smaller images that were generated from each 500K image.  Is this normal and it that a part of a problem?

when you say image... are we talking png, jpeg or gif but not some partial or raster effect?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines