Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Migration requires 50GB on main drive when using external drive

New Here ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've been going through a lot of burning hoops to migrate my old LR5 catalog to CC.

Here's an outline of what I've done so far:

* Used to have LR5 catalog on a NAS drive

* CC refused to migrate said catalog because it was too old

* Installed Classic trial version and tried to upgrade catalog

* Classic refused to migrate since catalog was on a network drive

* Copied catalog to a USB drive (of course there were corrupt files which threw off Finder)

* Finally started CC, stated migration

* CC refused to migrate because there were too little disk space available

* After realizing I won't be able to free up enough space (have 128GB Macbook Pro) I see it's possible to change location in CC to a custom location. Set this to a new folder on the same USB drive as before

So, the problem now is that CC starts migrating and then fails saying "Not enough space on main volume" - but I asked it to use an external disk?!

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

You've taken the right initial steps; directing Lightroom CC storage to an external drive with lots of space is the right first step.  However, while migrating the Lightroom Classic catalog, Lightroom CC also creates a database and previews on your local hard drive to enable viewing and editing your images during migration.  This can take up significant additional space, which can be as much as 20% of the size of your catalog and original files.  Especially when migrating large catalogs, make su

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's most likely the cloud space you are running out of not your local space. Click on the cloud icon at the top right of LR CC and confirm you still have cloud storage space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I'm just getting started. It says 0 bytes of 1 TB used and my photo library is 3-400 GB. The migration only runs for a few seconds before it stops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you’ll need over 400GB of free space at the chosen location to migrate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not a problem if Lightroom actually used the space I asked it to. I changed the location to my USB drive which has 1.5+ TB of free space but it complains that I don't have 50 GB available on my main drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you set the location in LrCC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I did. The funny thing is that the custom location points to the external USB drive (as expected) but above it says there's not too much available space on my internal disk and there's a slider I can use to configure how much of the library to sync to local disk. I would expect this to reference the USB drive, too.

Either this is a bug in CC or I'm misunderstanding how this is supposed to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a bug indeed. It should move everything to the external drive if you change this setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any resolution to this? I'm having the exact same problem (after following the exact same steps — although I was starting with an LR4 catalog).

Same issue where I change the location to a USB drive, but then tells me there's not enough space on my main drive.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No resolution. I actually got the migration going, but I presume that was because I accidentally managed to free up enough space on my main drive. However, the migration hung at 10% for many hours with no disk or network activity so I stopped it.

This is really disappointing and I feel like I'm throwing money out the window. Neither can I find any place to report bugs. Can I assume Adobe is reading this and consider it a bug report?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. Unfortunately few Adobe people read posts here. This is a User-2-user

forum. You should post it at feedback.photoshop.com. ACP people you see

here are just volunteers.

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 10:20 AM, riccof1994239 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've taken the right initial steps; directing Lightroom CC storage to an external drive with lots of space is the right first step.  However, while migrating the Lightroom Classic catalog, Lightroom CC also creates a database and previews on your local hard drive to enable viewing and editing your images during migration.  This can take up significant additional space, which can be as much as 20% of the size of your catalog and original files.  Especially when migrating large catalogs, make sure you have that amount of free space on your local drive. 

Becky

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Becky,

Is it possible to have Lightroom CC use a different local drive?  My setup is I have two internal drives, C:\ which is a 64GB SSD and D:\ wich is a 2TB HD.  Lightroom CC tells me "Note enough space on main volume, Lightroom CC needs enough space (106.68 GB on Windows) to store previews and catalog info." 

I need to be able to direct Lightroom CC to use my internal D:\ drive where I have plenty of space.  If it can only work on the internal C:\ drive I can't even free up the required space it says it needs.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently, you can specify a different drive to store originals.  The previews and catalog need space on the main drive. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There were some changes and fixes related to Local Storage with the Lightroom CC 1.1 update, which went live last night.  I think it is now easier to understand what kind of space the product needs on the local drive.  Take a look and report back whether this helps your specific situation. 

Thanks,
Becky

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2017 Dec 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you ever figure this out?  I have nearly 200K photos in my library--I will NEVER have 20% of that available space on my HD.  Is this really this hard?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have you looked at the changes in local storage preferences in the 1.1 release?  It should show clearly what space is required and allow you to specify how much space you want to designate to your photo cache.  The required space is the only piece of this that you cannot adjust, and it's a fairly small piece compared to the default size of your photo cache (20%).  You can make your photo cache any size you want, down to 0%.  Just note, the smaller the photo cache, the fewer originals and previews Lightroom keeps locally for you.  Further, you can still specify an external drive for your original storage if you like. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines