• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Better to upgrade to CC directly from previous Lightroom, or Lightroom Classic?

Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When upgrading to Lightroom CC from the previous Lightroom, is it better to do so directly (i.e., just open Lightroom CC and let it do its thing), or to first open Lightroom Classic and let it transfer/upgrade the library, then upgrade to Lightroom CC?

(I tried the direct-upgrade thing and noticed that all the folders are gone—my album hierarchy is not just a flat list. So, for instance, I'm wondering if the two-step upgrade would help with that.)

If the two-step upgrade is a better approach, I guess I also now need to know how to start over since I did the one-step already...

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Also Dave there is some direction here......

Migrate photos and videos from Lightroom Classic CC to Lightroom CC

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom CC is a new product. Don't think of it as an upgrade but as a new tool with new features. Victoria Bampton, better known as The Lightroom Queen has a wonderful post about the differences between Lightroom Classic and Lightroom CC that may help you decide which one is right for you.

Check it out:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/the-future-of-lightroom/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info, Rick. The comparison chart is handy. Looks like I'll lose a few things going to CC, but the better cloud support is probably worth it. The inability to adjust capture time is worrisome, but I suppose I can always find a way to do that pre-Import. And I do split across multiple drives, but mostly just to offload originals from my laptop (while still keeping a copy someplace), which I'm guessing I can accomplish by installing Lightroom on my home server and telling it to back up everything.

However: My question was less about which version to use, and more about the best path to get there. If I'm going to use Lightroom CC, will I achieve a better transition to it directly from the old version of Lightroom? Or should I let Lightroom Classic upgrade my catalog first, then go from there to Lightroom CC? Or does it matter?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't matter .... two completely different apps and workflows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like Brad said, it doesn't matter because they are stand alone apps. Lightroom Classic references your Catalog and Lightroom CC references your Adobe ID. So again, you aren't upgrading Lr Classic, you are just sharing it's assets with Lr CC. You do that by migrating your catalog if you like. Here's a link that talks about it:

I hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Lightroom Classic references your Catalog and Lightroom CC references your Adobe ID. So again, you aren't upgrading Lr Classic, you are just sharing it's assets with Lr CC. You do that by migrating your catalog if you like." So if you want the functionality of Classic with the shareability of CC, you need both, and you now need a catalogue and a library...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and if I edit something on CC, does that edit translate back to Classic???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the edits are reflected in Classic. I'm still thinking that CC might not be the workflow you need but here are a few great posts that help explain how both systems work:

Introducing: Lightroom CC, Lightroom Classic CC and More | Photoshop Blog by Adobe

The All-New Lightroom CC: An Overview - YouTube

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/the-future-of-lightroom/

Lots of good info there!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Yes, the edits are reflected in Classic" - just edited a photo in CC. After syncing, it didn't apply the changes to the photo in the Classic catalogue  - it added a duplicate file with the changes. This is not efficient.  On the plus side, the duplicate does show in the folder where the original resides. But still this is just making things a bigger mess. CC is going to be deleted. Get back to me when you get serious about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like I'll lose a few things going to CC, but the better cloud support is probably worth it.

Not really, because you're not abandoning Lr Classic CC; the two not only coexist, but can run simultaneously. Photos added to Lr CC will automatically appear in Lr Classic CC, where you may adjust capture time and do all of things you have always done. And the updates you make in Lr Classic CC will be applied to Lr CC cloud photos.

The title of this thread betrays a misunderstanding. Lightroom CC is not an upgrade to the old Lightroom. It's a new application, a new tool in the photo management and editing toolbox that is bundled with, and interacts with, the other new application, Lightroom Classic CC. It is most certainly not an instance of "either-or."

IMO you should go to Lr Classic CC now, and forget about the old version, which is yesterday's news. You're going to be moving to Classic anyway, and there is no reason to delay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best bet, stick to classic and forget about CC. With the exception of cloud storage it is beyond useless. If Adobe were smart they'd pull it immediately and regroup. This is a blunder of catastrophic proportions by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see that at all. I think the CC version is absolutely fabulous for a first release. It will only get better. LR Classic was pretty limited at first as well.

CC is so easy to use. Classic has gotten to the point now that it is near impossible for new users to learn. Professional Photographers may or may not want to stick with Classic for now. But CC is definitely the way to go for new users and hobbyists at this point.

For those of us that do primarily iPhone Photography (and there is more and more of those type of users all the time), this CC version is perfect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is making the same mistake Apple did with Final Cut Pro X...    Premiere took a huge market share...    The dumbest thing is that the new lightroom CC does not import the folder structure of Lightroom Classic...   I already asked for a refund...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps Lightroom CC is not the right solution for you. Adobe will continue to update and support Lightroom Classic for the forseeable future and have made some pretty cool upgrades already.

Again, Lightroom CC is not meant as an upgrade for Lightroom Classic. It is just another tool in your creative toolbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Again, Lightroom CC is not meant as an upgrade for Lightroom Classic" Considering Classic was as recently as two days ago called "Lightroom CC" the inference is that this IS an upgrade. If it's a new tool, it should have a new name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"For those of us that do primarily iPhone Photography (and there is more and more of those type of users all the time), this CC version is perfect."

And those of us who actually derive income through photography/lightroom/photoshop need the ability to use one library on two or more machines, which is the main selling point of the new CC, and still not an option on 'Classic'. Apple Photos pretty much does what CC does and you get 2TB for $9.99/month. CC should have all it's old functionality with the new cloud features. Adobe could have come out with Lightroom-lite for the iPhone only users. 

Not to mention the amount of work to migrate a catalogue - which wipes out folders structure that they recommend rebuilding with new Albums is unacceptable for those of us with terabytes of photos... not to mention the loss of custom keywords, smart catalogues... this new release is a disaster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indyboosler  wrote

... this new release is a disaster.

It's not a disaster ... it's just not for you. Stick with Classic if that works for you. You aren't forced to use CC. I am sure CC will have all the features of Classic at some point. Have to start somewhere.

Just because it is not of use for 'you' personally doesn't make it a 'disaster' for everyone else. I know I can only speak for myself but this CC version has opened up a whole new, practical, efficient, easy, etc workflow for me I didn't have before. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Brad+Lawryk  wrote

I don't see that at all. I think the CC version is absolutely fabulous for a first release. It will only get better. LR Classic was pretty limited at first as well.

Well at least it could print 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI - Sync gets turned off in anything below Classic (2015/Lr6) after Catalog Migration to Lr CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I upgrade from lightroom 5 to THE NEW lightroom classic. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Returning to the original topic (which I'll admit I could've titled better):

We've established that CC and Classic are two different products, with Classic the direct successor to the previous Lightroom. They're also intertwined in various ways that I don't fully understand. I would like to move my existing Lightroom (now, Classic) library, with about 30,000 photos, split across two disks, in a combination of JPEG, CR2, and DNG, into CC. But I'm not sure how to do it.

When I open LR CC now, I see about 18,000 photos. If I go to lightroom.adobe.com, where I'm used to seeing the photos I'd synced from pre-Classic, and I add the total photos+videos there, I get the same number as I see in LR CC, minus 1. It would be nice if they were exactly equal, but I still suspect that means that lightroom.adobe.com is now the web representation of LR CC.

So LR CC now contains the stuff I'd previously synced up from my old Lightroom. I want it to contain the entire Lightroom library, with the RAW originals where appropriate. How do I most easily and reliably make that transfer happen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davefeldman  wrote

So LR CC now contains the stuff I'd previously synced up from my old Lightroom. I want it to contain the entire Lightroom library, with the RAW originals where appropriate. How do I most easily and reliably make that transfer happen?

If you really want to do this, the simple answer is to choose "migrate lightroom catalog" from the file menu. This will only work well if your disk where your local storage in Lightroom CC resides has enough free space on it as it works by copying over all the images into a local folder and then uploading them to the cloud. For most people with large libraries (yours is relatively small but it still might be an issue) this will be a major problem. If you don't have enough free space available, you can do this same process piecewise by exporting several new catalogs each containing a small part of your entire catalog from Lightroom Classic and then migrating all these separately into Lightroom CC. Then for each catalog you migrate, wait until it has synced everything to the cloud before migrating the next piece. This is not very user friendly indeed but probably the only way you can make it work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also Dave there is some direction here......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jao vdL​, thanks for the clarification; and thanks for the link, selondon​. I think my original confusion was due to the fact that when I first opened up LR CC, I saw a lot of my photos (since it built on top of my synced Collections). So I figured it had just imported my catalog at first.

A few follow-up questions:

1. Since I have a bunch of photos already in LR CC that I'd synced from previous versions, I probably want to reset CC—wipe out all the content and start over. What's the best/easiest way to do that? Not seeing an obvious answer.
  2. Once I migrate my catalog, what happens to the original catalog and masters?
  3. Once I migrate, what happens in Classic? What's its relationship to the newly migrated stuff?

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
  1. Since I have a bunch of photos already in LR CC that I'd synced from previous versions, I probably want to reset CC—wipe out all the content and start over. What's the best/easiest way to do that? Not seeing an obvious answer.

I believe it is smart enough to figure it out when you migrate your catalog that it doesn't need to duplicate the ones already on the cloud.

1. Once I migrate my catalog, what happens to the original catalog and masters?

They remain on your hard disk. Lightroom Classic will keep working as it did before. This is at once a good idea since you won't lose your work and also a bad thing as you need enormous amount of disk space to do the migration if you have a typical Lightroom catalog.

1. Once I migrate, what happens in Classic? What's its relationship to the newly migrated stuff?

Classic should remain the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines