• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What kind of PC configuration (graphics cards + RAM + CPUs) do we need for Adobe Creative Cloud?

Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Sir or Madam,

I plan to change/upgrade my desktop's motherboard because now it is too slow and obsolet for my software environment. I purchased this motherboard: Gigabyte EP35-DS4 DELUXE rev.2.1 motherboard in April 2008 with 8 GB of RAM and an Intel Core 2 Extreme Q9650 CPU (Yorkfield).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The motherboard manufacturer Asus has given me the following advice to purchase a new configuration desktop with Windows 8.1 Pro and the Production Premium CS6 for a dual processor:

" Taking into consideration your email informing us about the possibility to buy an Asus motherboard and after reading all the caracteristics that you want it to fulfill, because you want to use 2 processors, we advice you to check the information about the Z10PE-D16 WS or Z10PE-D8 WS :

Z10PE-D16 WS | Servers & Workstations | ASUS Global

Z10PE-D8 WS | Motherboards | ASUS Global ​"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And the motherboard manufacturer Gigabyte has given me also the following advice to purchase a new configuration desktop with Windows 8.1 and the Production Premium CS6:

"

You can try to get an Intel X99 chipset motherboard and a CPU that does match your requirements.

The X99 series

Pllease note: The X99 is going EOL will soon disappear in the market.

Please check, which of our X99 motherbaords is still available on Spain market:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Intel-X99

You need a model that does support 2x PCIe x16 @16 lanes like the GA-X99-Gaming 5P
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-X99-Gaming-5P-rev-10#sp

It dooes support  Windows 10/8.1/8/7Support for Windows 10/8.1/8/7

Let us know the model, if you know, which one is available.

We will check with our team, if the Tesla K20 can be supported.

"

But it was for Windows 8.1 Pro with Production Premium CS6 but *now* I have upgraded to the *CC* and I have purchased one license of *Windows 10 Pro 64 bits* that I can exploit.

I had given the following system requirements to Asus and Gigabyte:

Windows 8.1 and  for Production Premium CS6 Adobe or nVidia had written this document in the past:

NVIDIA® Maximus™ Configurations

Application

Adobe® Premiere® Pro (CS6 and CS 5.5.2) Adobe® After Effects (CS6)

Adobe® SpeedGrade (CS6)

Configure Your Workstation

Good

Better

Best

Single X86 CPU (4-6 cores)

Single X86 CPU (6-8 cores)

Dual X86 CPUs (8+ cores)

8 GB RAM

16 GB RAM

24 GB RAM

Quadro K2000 + Tesla K20

Quadro K4000 + Tesla K20

Quadro K5000 + Tesla K20

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So my question is: is nVidia Quadro K5000 + nVidia Tesla K20 + 24 GB RAM + Dual X86 CPUs (8+ cores) still correct/good for Adobe CC or do we have to upgrade this because it has been given for the Production Premium CS6 and not for the CC that seems to be six new generations backwards if I believe adobe After Effects CC October 2017 (15.0) system requirements?

I look forward to reading you

Yours faithfully

PS: FYI notice than now, I want also a dual processor and not a mono processor motherboard as I had in the past.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dual processor systems are no longer necessary as the new multicore CPU's with 16 to 18 cores are better than many of the dual Xeon systems that much higher cost systems.

So the answer to your question is that your candidate configuration is a terrilble lousy antique configuration.  That configuration of two quad core Xeons cannot come close to even today's 8 core core single processor systems, see my Premiere Pro BenchMark data on the relative CPU power of some configurations.

Also forget the Tesla product unless you have some software that specifically requires that product.  Also that Quadro K5000 is obsolete and unless you have an expensive 10-bit monitor any Quadro card is an overkill.  Go with something like a GTX 1080 Ti at the most.

Go with 64 GB of RAM minimum, especially if you are running AE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately you didn't specify what type of work you do. Unless you're editing feature length films with shoot 8k footage, a single processor should be perfectly fine.

The new Intel i7 8700K six core CPU has just been released and should be fully available within the next 2 or 3 weeks.

The guys from Puget Systems have tested the i7 8700K against several other multi-core CPUs in AE and Premiere:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/After-Effects-CC-2017-2-CPU-Performance-Core-i7-8700K-i5-...

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Premiere-Pro-CC-2017-1-2-CPU-Performance-Core-i7-8700K-i5...

Article about dual Xeon setup (written before the release of the 8700K): https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Should-you-use-a-Dual-Xeon-for-Premiere-Pro-CC-2017-932/

And as Bill mentioned, the Nvidia Quadros have basically the same performance as the lower priced Nvidia GTX 1070 (8GB) or 1080.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My budget to build a new PC is approximately arround € 450  maximum for the motherboard, processor and RAM. A professional graphics card costs around € 450 (today I have an HP Nvidia Quadro 2000). I do not put more in a PC even if mine are are costing about 4 000 € whether it is my desktop or my laptop without the cost of their software, only the hardware.

Otherwise in the fourth quarter * 2017 * cheap Intel processors are at this address: https://ark.intel.com/compare/126684,126686

These are Core i7 8700 for those who work in multimedia, so for me! I do not know exactly the difference between the Core i7 8700 and the core i7 8700K.

Their chipset is called Z370 and they have a socket called 1151.

Now to find the right motherboard for this new Intel processor then there hello! I found this page which can help us: https://www.topachat.com/pages/produits_cat_est_micro_puis_rubrique_est_w_cm_1151_puis_f_est_194-913...

The RAM that adapts to this processor and these motherboards is called DDR4 2666, I do not overclock because otherwise virtualization with VMware will not work ... Anyway it has never interested me to overclock ... In addition there is Citrix too ...

It must be all: CPU + motherboard + RAM makes less than € 450 for my personal budget. I do not put money in there!

I am editing lenght films with shoot 4k footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That’s going to be a tough one. 450€ isn‘t going to cut it, even if you choose the 8700.

Its Clock speed is slightly lower compared to the 8700K and it can’t be overclocked but considering your budget you can’t really have it all. Any chance you can increase it by let‘s say 200€?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately yes, I can increase my budget over 200 €. But, so we would talk about inflation there in this context... : - )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Abstract:

OK -> CPU: Intel ® Core i7 8700 ($303 > cost < $312)

OK -> Graphic card: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB (688€ > cost  < 931€) or GeForce GTX 1070 8GB (400€ > cost < 482€)

NOK/KO -> RAM: 64GB minimum of DDR4 2666 - Dual channel ? - CAS (i.e. which latency)? Gigabyte ® told me in the past to purchase and choose the brand Samsung ® for  the RAM.

NOK/KO -> Motherboard: Chipset Z370 - socket 1151 - 7.1 fiber optical sound is enough for me. Numbers of PCI Express 16x, 8x, 4x, 1x slots?

Conclusion:

The motherboard model and the RAM misses me!

Thank you if someone can help me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’d go with the cheapest motherboard you can find. like this one: ASRock Z370 Pro4 LGA 1151

Instead of the GTX 1080 I would buy the 1070 with 8GB and spend the rest on as much RAM as possible, ideally 64GB or more. Doesnt really matter what brand. It either works or it doesn’t in which case you simply return it. Latencies are usually identical and don’t make a big enough difference that you‘d notice In Adobe CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Abstract:

OK -> CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 ($303 > cost < $312)

OK -> Graphics card: GeForce GTX 1070 8GB (403.91 € > cost < 725.51 €)

OK -> RAM: 1x16GB DIMMs DDR4 2666 MHz PC4-21300 (139.99 € x 4 < cost < 167.56 € x 4)​

2x16GB DIMMs DDR4 2666 MHz PC4-21300 (269.97 € x 2 < cost < 339.09 € x 2)

the cheapest price: 269,97 € (2 DIMMs) x 2 = 539.94 € (4 DIMMs)

the more expensive price: 167.56 € (1 DIMM) x 2 = 335.12 € (2 DIMMs) x 2 = 670.24 € (4 DIMMs)

So: 4x16GB DIMMs DDR4 2666 MHz PC4-21300 (539.94 € < cost < 670.24 €)

OK -> Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Pro4 LGA 1151 (126.81 < cost < 127.90 €)

Conclusion:

Cost: CPU + graphics card + RAM + motherboard

Conversion dollar/euro for the CPU on Sunday 22th of October 2017:

$303 = 257.96 €

$312 = 264,732 €

So it does an amount of on Sunday 22th of October 2017:

. For the cheapest price: 257.96 € + 403.91 € + 539.94 + 126.81 € =  1328.61 €

. For the more expensive price: 264.732 + 725.51 + 670.24 + 127.90 = 1788.372 €

Costs total amount:
1328.61 € < price (CPU + graphics card + RAM + motherboard) < 1788.372 €

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following to this post and to my post of the 20th of March 2014 here: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1432244

Computer case: OK- Antec P280 White Windows

Power supply: OK - 500 W Seasonics 12IIsn/0295

Electric inverter: OK - Eaton 3S 700 (700 VA - 420 W)

Motherboard: OK

CPU: OK

Memory: OK

Fan: KO

Internal Floppy disk drive 1.44 MB 3"5: OK

Internal Blu-ray burner: OK - DVD Pionner BDR 202 BIC

Internal ultra HD burner: KO

External DVD burner: OK - Samsung SE-S224

Hard disk drives: OK

. One SSD Crucial 500GB for the operating system (Windows 10 Pro 64 bits) and applications

. One SSD Kingston 128GB for video rendering and storage of footage of the project I am editing

. Two 2TB internal hard disk drives 7200 RPM SATA-III put in RAID 1: for data (Documents = 173GB; Music = 26.2GB; Pictures = 329GB; Video = 81.2GB; My ISO Files = 169GB) = 781GB.

. One 4TB internal hard disk drive 7200 RPM SATA-III WD Caviar Black: for backups. Extensible in RAID 5 with two or three other 4TB hard disk drives WD Caviar Black 7200 RPM Sata-III to purchase (approximately 200€ each HDD).

. Three external USB 3.0 hard drive WD 2TB (1 for archives, 1 for data backups, 1 available)

Graphics card: OK

Acoustic speakers: OK - Bluetooth Sony SRS-XB3 x 2 (for stereo)

Keyboard: OK - Microsoft Office Keyboard model RT9450 + Steelkeys 6G (mechanic keyboard)

Mouse: OK - Logitech MX Performance + Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical

Operating system: OK - Windows 10 Pro 64 bits

Printers: OK - HP LaserJet 2300dn (white & black recto-verso by the network) + Canon LBP 5000 (color laser - USB)

Scanner: OK - Canon Cano Scan 4200F (USB)

Monitors: KO - Hyundaï W240D (1920 x 1200) landscape mode (HDCP - HDMI - DVI - RCA) + HP LP2475w (1920 x 1200) portrait mode (HDCP - HDMI - DVI - RCA - Display Port - S-Video - Composant Video - Composite Video) - it misses me a 4k monitor for an approximately cost of 400€ that I will put in landscape mode and the two others HD monitors in portrait mode to the right and to the left of the 4k monitor.

TV tuner card: KO

Sound card: KO

FAX/Modem: KO

Webcam: OK - HD Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000

Acquisition card: KO

One adaptater serial/parallel: OK

One microphone headset: OK

One external desktop microphone: OK

Graphic tablet: OK - Wacom Intuos 2

Miss me:

. One fan

. One 4k monitor (400€)

. One ultra HD burner (260€)

. One TV tuner card

. One sound card

. One FAX/Modem

. One acquisition card

Conclusion: one bank credit over three years of: 1800 + 400 + 260 = 2460€ approximately 2500€

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just out of curiosity: Floppy disk drive?? Do they still make these? What on earth would you do with floppy disks?

Your scratch disk seems vastly undersized with only 128GB. Mine frequently reaches 200GB with a single project and my final video usually don't exceed 4 minutes run time. You mentioned that you shoot in 4k and produce feature film length videos. I would assume your working files reach at least 500GB for projects that size...

With all your other internal and external disks it might make sense to get a 4-disk NAS like this: Amazon.com: Synology DS416 Disk Station 4-Bay Diskless Network Attached Storage: Computers & Accesso...

6 or 8GB NAS HDDs have become pretty affordable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick reply.

The Floopy disk for not having stress. I am using it for example to backup my BIOS, and if one day I should need a windows boot disk? I do not know... I prefer having one for not to be stressed : - ) And to read my 25 years old 3.5" floppy disks.

I do not have anymore 5.25" floppy disks. Now, it is finished for me 5.25" just only from this year or last year, I do not remember.

No, I was planning this for the 4k, but thank you again for your reply. I should invest again in a SSD (a 1TB SSD) and put my 500GB SSD for my scratch disk instead of my 128GB SSD.

I do not see anywhere to purchase a 4k Ultra HD Blu-ray burner so for priority I will not purchase a 4k monitor and neither a graphics card. I will stay in HD with my HP nVidia Quadro 2000.

Thank you also for your advice concerning the NAS.

So it does an amount of on Tuesday 24th of October 2017:

CPU + RAM + motherboard

. For the cheapest price: 257.96 € + 539.94 + 126.81 € =  924.71 €

. For the more expensive price: 264.732 + 670.24 + 127.90 = 1062.872 €

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your SSD for Windows and your software doesn't have to be 1TB. 500GB should suffice.

Other than that it looks like you have a winner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does mean "Other than that it looks like you have a winner.", please?

I do not understand. "You have a winner": what does it mean ?

Thank you if you could again reply to this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It means I think it’s a solid configuration that I would buy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fiji5465  wrote

The Floopy disk for not having stress. I am using it for example to backup my BIOS, and if one day I should need a windows boot disk? I do not know... I prefer having one for not to be stressed : - ) And to read my 25 years old 3.5" floppy disks.

Why haven't you copied the floppies to more modern storage?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a glance in my library just at the moment and I do not find any other 3.5" floppies instead of a 3.5" floppy disk for MS DOS 3.3, another 3.5" floppy disk for a Windows 95 boot disk, and a 3.5" floppy disk for my desktop's BIOS backup.

Yes, I had copied all my 3.5" floppies on more modern storage in the past.

Everything is OK now.

Thank you it allows me to do the check up the inventory of my 3.5" floppies!

And I have also 70 3.5" scratch/blank floppies in spare. Enjoy! : - )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Conclusion:

OK -> CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 ($303 > cost < $312)

OK -> RAM: 1x16GB DIMMs DDR4 2666 MHz PC4-21300 (139.99 € x 4 < cost < 167.56 € x 4)

2x16GB DIMMs DDR4 2666 MHz PC4-21300 (269.97 € x 2 < cost < 339.09 € x 2)

the cheapest price: 269,97 € (2 DIMMs) x 2 = 539.94 € (4 DIMMs)

the most expensive price: 167.56 € (1 DIMM) x 2 = 335.12 € (2 DIMMs) x 2 = 670.24 € (4 DIMMs)

So: 4x16GB DIMMs DDR4 2666 MHz PC4-21300 (539.94 € < cost < 670.24 €)

OK -> Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Pro4 LGA 1151 (126.81 < cost < 127.90 €)

Conversion dollar/euro for the CPU on Sunday 22th of October 2017:

$303 = 257.96 €

$312 = 264,732 €

Costs of my new PC configuration - CPU + RAM + motherboard:

. For the cheapest price: 257.96 € + 539.94 € + 126.81 € =  924.71 €

. For the most expensive price: 264.732 € + 670.24 € + 127.90 € = 1062.872 €

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines