• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What am I doing wrong here? Help please.

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have both Photoshop CC and Lightroom CC and am using a Windows 10 PC.

I have a question as to why I am getting the results I am when saving an edited photo.

As an example, here is the general process I am using to edit and save a photo:

1. I select the file in Lightroom and click "Edit in Adobe Photoshop CC 2017".

2. Lightroom then asks whether I want to edit a copy of the photo with Lightroom edits, or just edit a copy, or edit the original. I select "edit a copy".

2. Photoshop then pops up with the selected photo ready for editing, so I then do "control-J" which creates a new layer (thus protecting my original photo).

3. I then apply a filter to the new layer which modifies it in some noticeable way.

4. I now select "File-save" which creates and saves a PSD file to my directory.

5. Now, when I look to see what was saved, I see that my file directory has the original photo (e.g., IMG4232.jpg") and also two other files - a PSD file using the same file name but with "-Edit" appended to the file name (e.g., IMG4232-Edit.psd") and also a file named "IMG4232-Edit.jpg". Great! But there's a problem - the original photo jpg and the IMG4232-Edit.jpg file both look exactly alike! I don't see any of my edits applied!

In fact, the only way I can get the newly edited photo (with my changes) saved to my directory is to manually save it from Photoshop!

So, I don't get it. There's got to be a better way.

What I want to have happen is to have step-4 above result in a PSD file + a jpg file that has all my edits applied.

I'm sure I'm missing something simple here, so I hope someone can help me out and tell me how to get the result I want.

I'd appreciate any advice!

jeff-drake@comcast.net

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom does not support layers when you save the PSD file do you save with max compatibility so a composite layer is saved that Lightroom can use? What are you using to view the PSD file?

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding.

I understand that Lightroom doesn't support layers. I use the default settings for saving the PSD file. I apologize, but I'm not sure what you mean by a composite layer. After saving the PSD file in Photoshop, Lightroom shows 2 photos, the original jpg and the -Edit.jpg file, both of which look exactly alike.

I use Photoshop to see the PSD file.

Obviously, I'm new at this, sorry for sounding so thick.

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The option add extra stuff in the psd file so other application can do things when they do not fully support the PSD format. One thing  is a full resolution composite image  like a stamp visible layers.  If that does not exist what can Lightroom do with the psd it does not support

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood, but I wasn't intentionally creating PSD files for use in Lightroom.

Maybe I'm missing something more fundamental here.

I am using Lightroom only for photo management. I don't use it for any editing. I prefer Photoshop.

I am somehow laboring under the belief that you are supposed to let Lightroom handle all the file stuff, e.g., catalog, naming, folders and that you should always begin the editing process from within Lightroom, even if Photoshop is your primary editing tool. As for the PSD file thing, that is the system default for Photoshop files. I see them as a perhaps handy way of keeping a copy of the original photo together with any edits, for future use. Currently, I don't do anything with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would not know I do not use Lightroom how does it perform these days? For me it just add delays, overhead and compatibility issues. I do not requires a library system for my images.  Photoshop is an image editing and web development tool that also has basic 3d and video editing.  Lightroom is not an image editor it is more or less a library system  with an image developer.  It can no handle what Photoshop does it can only use a composite image produced by Photoshop.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I like Lightroom a lot. I have thousands of photos that I need to keep track of, so it works great for that. It performs great, as far as I can tell. Lightroom has some very nice photo editing capabilities, but I prefer Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines