• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying to buy a budget computer for Premiere Pro

Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off: I'm an idiot.

I've tried to understand computer specs, processors, graphic cards, etc. but it's over my head. So I'm just looking for a thumbs up, thumbs down, or another suggestion of a computer to buy to edit movies on Premiere Pro. I'll be editing a feature, with some colour correction, stabilization, and minimal effects. It's C100 footage, i.e., 1080HD.

I don't need a super-computer and I'm on a budget, so I'm just trying to find something that will work. I'm trying to spend less than $800USD.

Here is one computer that I'm thinking about purchasing. Here are the specs:

Processor: Intel Core 7th Generation i7-7700 Processor (Quad Core, up to 4.20 GHz, 8MB Cache, 65W)

Memory : 16GB DDR4

Hard Drive : 2TB 7200 rpm SATA 6Gb/s Hard Drive

Operating System : Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit)

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 2GB GDDR3

I know the graphics card is a budget one. But I am on a budget!

Here is a second option. Here are the specs:

Processor Intel Core i7-6700 Quad-Core

Memory: 16GB DDR4 Non- ECC 2133MHz

Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB GDDR5

Please help me. And remember: I am a stupid stupid newb.

If you help, I may name my first-born child after you.

With Love,

Sean

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I cannot recommend either one of those configurations for the following reasons:

1) Both systems use slow, mechanically spinning hard drives and no SSDs (which are far faster than even the fastest spinning hard drive).

2) The first system uses a very outdated GPU with abysmally slow graphics memory - combining for a GPU performance that's actually slower than the integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 that's on that i7-7700 CPU, even after accounting for the differences in performance between Premiere's CUDA renderer and its OpenCL counterpart. In fact, there have been two versions of that really lousy DDR3 version of that GT 730 - and you might end up with a really crummy one that's based on a GPU that's now more than seven years old (with only 96 CUDA cores)!

3) The second system uses a now outdated GPU that was fairly reasonable when it was first introduced back in 2014, but now doesn't support some of the more modern features that Adobe software is now beginning to make some use of.

4) Both systems have CPUs that have only four physical cores. What's worse, you chose quad-core CPUs that are still relatively expensive compared to other alternative CPUs and platforms that have more CPU cores and/or deliver superior performance-per-dollar.

I will leave it up to others what hardware is suggested since I'm on a smartphone on the road.

Randall

Oh, by the way, since you're considering a prebuilt PC for such a low price rather than a build-it-yourself PC or a custom-built one, you're pretty much stuck between a rock and a hard place at that price point: You either get a system with a substandard-performing CPU or a system that's lopsided in its CPU/GPU balance (a decent CPU but a woefully inadequate GPU).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not opposed to building a PC myself. My problem has just been a lack of knowledge, and all the information I've found online has been for people who already seem to know what they're doing. It's hard to find a beginners tutorial for building a PC for yourself for PP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2019 May 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reply to an old question. Because the responses posted were annoying. This guy received some stupid answers.

You dont need a very powerful computer to get started on Adobe Premiere. Just try to surpass the minimum specs.

An older imac with an i7 and , god forbid, a drive that spins will do just fine. If you are working in 4k then make proxy files.

Keep your media on external drives. Keep your system clean. Same is true today as it was 2 years ago. I am cutting on a 2013 MacPro.

My lap top is a 2011 macbook Pro- Worth less than 500- that works with Premiere 2018. As does my 2011 27inch Imac i5.

If you want to cut, then cut. Dont listen to the tools trying to oversell you. Start with what you can afford, make some money, then upgrade. And no, Im not making videos of my cats. I hate cats. I have been cutting on computers for 20 years, so i know a few things about with older gear. I also know the value of state of the art. But if someone can only afford a VW, why insist they need a Porche to drive to the market?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dougzpost  wrote

But if someone can only afford a VW, why insist they need a Porche to drive to the market?

I wouldn't recommend a pickup truck when a dump truck is needed to comfortably carry the load.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob,

This was, in part, the question "... I am pretty set on using PP. Surely

there must be a way to edit using PP on SOME system for around $800? Again,

the system doesn't have to be the best in the world."

I actually stumbled upon the post because I was looking for the very

fastest system for myself- to see what others are using. But I am a pro,

with resources. I don't know what this guys situation is,

but all I am saying is there are lots of low-end systems that will play

with premiere no prob. And Premiere is hardly a "Porche". Like saying

spinning drives are essentially useless.

I have 40 TB of spinning drives on my film right now. It would be cool if

they were SSD, but I would rather spend my cash on that new dump truck I

have my eye on...: )

The point being, I don't see a need to send a newbie off to drop his kid's

college fund on kit he does not really need. when the time comes- if it

does- when he's making that big editor cash, he can by that new Lambo

Laptop : )

Best,

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spinning drives vs. SSD isn't the only issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob,

Yes, I understand spinning drives Vs SSD is not the only issue. But it

gives me a clear indication of where you are coming.

Yes, everything is easier when your system is state of the art.

But if you want to cut your movie or your commercial or cat video in PP®,

you don't need a state of the art rig to do that.

One of the amazing things about Adobes excellent product, Premiere®,

is that your hardware does not have to be the very latest and greatest to

run it.

It is an excellent program for both professionals and amateurs alike.

And learning to cut on a consumer version is kind of silly unless you're a

consumer.

Lots of people do fine with a less than a state of the art CPU and upgrades

their software the second it is released.

Don't get hung up on the things that don't matter. They won't

make you a better editor. If you can make it work, then you're good. If you

are getting paid a ton of

money, and people are over your shoulder, then, of course, don't be an

amateur. But if you are an Amateur, no need to break the bank to learn

Adobes excellent suite of fine products, including Adobe Premiere®..

Anyone reading this should know they can get a system that will work for

them for under a grand. Period.

Come on Bob, get back to work. Enough procrastinating...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry that I used the improper words to describe the performance. You see, MOST of us have extremely strict and extremely tight deadlines to meet when delivering the finished product. In such an instance, then yes, I stand by my statement. But if on the other hand you have an entire day or even several days just to deliver a couple of minutes of low(er)-resolution video, then yes, I agree with you.

By the way, Premiere Pro 2019 now has higher minimum system hardware requirements than previous versions of Premiere Pro CC. And if the thread starter's version of the GT 730 described above has only 96 CUDA cores and 128-bit DDR3 memory, then it is no longer supported at all for GPU acceleration in Premiere Pro 2019 since it now requires a newer driver version than the latest version which supported that GPU's architecture just to even enable GPU accelerated rendering at all. Therefore, the rendering must fall back to the CPU, whose performance is further degraded by a GPU whose memory throughput is below that of even system RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are Alright Rob! I appreciate the yield. I owe you a beer, or a Pepsi,

if you prefer.

That's all I was after. I am a working professional as well and I realize

time is money.

But there are many people who are just trying to get something going, and

cash can be hard to come by when you are starting out.

I don't want to discourage the kids...

Be well, my high-end computer, Porche dump-truck driving editor colleague!

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2019 Oct 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I happened to stumble upon this thread and it's very similar to where I am now.  Our school is just now kicking off our first video class and we are adopting the Adobe CC products.  Now, we are on the lookout for computers that will allow our students to use PP but, like an educational entity, money is beyond tight...and we need these computers to last for as many years as possible as we won't have the funds to replace them anytime soon.  

Can somone send me a link to a PC or lower costing Apple that could run PP for under $1,000?  We technically only need one laptop that will do this and the rest can be desktops.  They are only creating movies that are under 30 minutes in length...if that matters.

Thank you for any help you can give me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With that kind of budget for hardware, I would consider using Premiere Elements rather than Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I am pretty set on using PP. Surely there must be a way to edit using PP on SOME system for around $800? Again, the system doesn't have to be the best in the world.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a suggestion for a custom built computer here.

These are the specs for the budget computer (around $750):

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600

Graphics Card: GTX 1050

Motherboard: MSI B350 PC Mate

RAM: 8 GB DDR4

Storage 1: Crucial MX300 275GB SSD

Storage 2: Seagate 2 TB hard drive

Power Supply: EVGA 500 B

CPU Cooler (optional): DeepCool Gammaxx 400

Case: Corsair Carbide 270R or Corsair Carbide 100R

Operating System: Windows 10

Does that look better?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2019 Oct 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Does that look better?"

No:

-Only 8 GB RAM (you want 32 GB)

-Weak video card

-You need 2 fast SSDs...you specified only one slow SSD and an HDD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines