• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS 2018 Select and mask crashes

Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I make a selection then click the "Select and Mask" button (or right click and choose select and mask) I get the following error:

"Could not apply the workspace because of a program error."

Using macOS Sierra 10.12.6

I've reset the workspace (by removing ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CC 2018 Settings/Workspaces (Modified) and relaunching)

Same error with multiple files.

Screen Shot 2017-10-21 at 11.55.01 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not really a crash Photoshop caught its error so Photoshop continued to run.  However what the error was  or what cause the error was not provided in the message.  The operation did not work there was an error  you are left the the document open and know there is a programming problem somewhere in Photoshop within select and mask.  Looking at your partial screen capture we can not even know if you selection is within the documents canvas bounds. Or what type of  layer or if any is targeted.

Report bugs at Photoshop Family Customer Community

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JJMack,

Selection is within document bounds;

The active layer includes the entire selection. It is a layer created from combining all previous layers.

This operation worked without error in the previous version.

Screen Shot 2017-10-21 at 1.38.54 PM.png

Any additional thoughts?

Thanks for your assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The message seems to indicate that Photoshop could not initialize the workspace switch into the select and mask workspace. Report the bug.

Mack sure your Photoshop system info looks good. No errors and drivers are up to date.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help, unfortunately none of those procedures fixed the issue for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2019 Jun 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank u! it works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OMG Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this issue was solved in another thread

Program error while trying to select and mask

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue as well, and unfortunately OpenCL is already disabled for me.

Any other fixes? floramc​ Roei Tzoref​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here! OpenCL was already uncheck and even disabling use of graphics processing did nothing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting you Photoshop Preferences to Adobe Default Settings. Select and Mask seems to work on my Windows systems. Also make sure your Display Adapter device driver is up to Date.  Install the least one that is available from it's manufacturer's web site.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried that and it still errors. Tried different select tools and didn't make a difference. I did find that the only way it doesn't error is when you do a select all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here.  Graphics card drivers up-to-date. Open CL unchecked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post your Photoshop CC 2018  meny Help>System Info.... As I wrote it seems to wotk on my windows 10 machines....

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem with select and mask in CC2018 and have unchecked Open CL which did not fix it.  However!!!  I changed the mode from my usual 16-bit to 8-bit and it works on the 8-bit .dng file.  I tested it with a small .jpg file with no problems which would seem to indicate that the problem does not lie with the Open CL or drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have the same problem and changing the PSD file from 16 bit to 8 bit fixes it.

However I would rather keep my files at 16 bit......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case, Photoshop CC2018 works as expected (in regard to select & mask) if PS is launched directly and image is loaded from PS.  However, if I am in Lightroom Classic CC and choose to "Edit in Photoshop", select & mask shows the error message mentioned in this thread. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the same in my case; launching PS directly gives no errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not experiencing the problem, but am working with someone who is.  He tried the following (which I thought I read hear but now cannot find) and it worked for him:

1. convert your image to 8bpc
  2. make a selection
  3. refine your selection
  4. uncheck "save settings" and hit ok
  5. convert your image back to 16bpc
  6. make a selection
  7. refine the selection (now it works!)
  8. you can safely check "save settings" again
  9. hit ok
  10. fixed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue. Restored preferences at Startup as suggested by MelissaLA88. Worked for a few images. Getting the same problem again. Started while working on an image. Make a selection and did 'Select and Mask.' Was fine. Made another selection then the problem reoccurred. Shouldn't have updated. Wasn't an issue before CC 2018. Fix the issue Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution worked fine for me, but I just encountered the error message again, when I pasted an 8-bit jpeg into 16-bit tiff, and tried to use the "select and mask"-tool.on the jpeg that I pasted. Adobe really needs to do something about this error!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same problem.

Three days ago I used the SM function with no problem. I made my initial selection with the Quick Selection tool and then clicked the Select and Mask button. No issues.
Yesterday I started working with a new image and now I have the problem.

I read through all of the suggestions above but none of them seem like viable solutions.

Here is the solution that is working for me.

Click on a selection tool but do not select anything. It is important to not have an active selection.
Then click on Select and Mask.
Now make your selection and then refine it as you wish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2017 Nov 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experienced the same issue with Photoshop CC 2018/Windows 10; never had this problem in previous versions of Photoshop. Unchecking the OpenCL box didn't solve my problem and didn't want to be converting my files to 8 bits just to refine selections since this defeats the purpose of a 16 bit workflow. My graphics card driver is up-to-date. Have only used the Magic Wand and Quick Selection tools, but both show the error message when Select and Mask is used. THE ONLY SOLUTION THAT WORKED FOR ME WAS TO EDIT MY PHOTOSHOP PREFERENCES UNDER THE GENERAL CATEGORY TO "RESET PREFERENCES ON QUIT" THEN EXIT AND REENTER PHOTOSHOP AND MANUALLY RESTORE SOME OF MY SETTINGS IN MY CUSTOMIZED WORKSPACE AS NEEDED AFTER THE RESET. THIS WAS ONLY SOMEWHAT DISRUPTIVE AND THESE TWO TOOLS NOW WORK AS INTENDED. Hopefully it will last and was only a conversion issue between the old and new CC versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines