Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SSD for Proxy and Native media files

Engaged ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I make proxy files in Premiere Pro to edit. Will using the proxy files on an SSD make it faster? I have my native media AVCHD on a 4TB HDD.

Thinking about getting a 2TB SSD for native and proxy files. Is it worth it? Will the speed be better?

My specs of my machine are

16GB of Ram

Windows 10 64 bit

NVIDIA Quadro m4000 8GB Graphics Card

Quad Core Processor Intel i7

SSD for Operating System

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to the Hardware Forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am very curious why you are using proxy files on something so easy to edit as AVCHD files?  I edit AVCHD without any problems on this 3-year old SSD equipped laptop.

What is the rpm speed of that 4 TB hard disk drive and how full is it?

What model of CPU do you really have?

If you were to add another SSD for your system and you have a good CPU  you probably would not need to bother with proxy files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted my computer specs in the original post.

whenever I go To add intensive effects like warp stabilizer. (Used it on 50 clips which were 2 min each) the whole timeline bogs down even with 1/4 Playback resolution. As soon as I turn on proxy BAM!! Timeline works like a charm.

I cant even do chroma key or noise reduction using neat video unless I’m on proxy.

I habe a 7200 rpm hdd. 4TB 1TB free on the drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a typical  good hard disk drivve read performance, I do not have a 4TB so this is a 2TB showing the read performance as the drive fills up notice that at 75% full the read performance is appreciable less than when your drive was new and it really gets bad as you add more data on it.  If you can use a smaller SSD for your immediate projects and then archive to the hard disk drive you will get much better performance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of my media files in avchd exceed 500gb for one project So I’m getting a 2tb SSD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I guess that is the price you pay for proxy files, of course my configuration is all SSD.

What motherboard do you have as you probably know there are two types of SSD's in todays world, SATA III and the new super speed M.2 PCIe Gen 3 x4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines