• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CC 2017 update needs to reinstall all plugins etc

Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its a real pain in the A*** why does the new CC2017 installer fail to copy over all of the plugins and scripts installed in the previous version of aftereffects.

It seems to be a random feature the Adobe include in updates, sometimes it does others it doesn't.

oh well off to reinstall everything again?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

After Effects hasn't copied plugins and scripts over from previous versions when it does a major update. This was from version 13.x to version 14 of After Effects. Especially when they jump whole version numbers, you've had to move/reinstall plugins and scripts. But you had to copy them manually from CC 2014 to CC 2015 (even though it was version 13.2 to version 13.5 - same for going from 13.7 to 13.8).

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you are saying. Several plug-ins require updated CC 2017 versions, anyway, so there would be little sense in copying over old, incompatible versions, some of which won't even register in the menus.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think copying over everything and then giving an error message about incompatible plugins would be of more use than just ignoring everything, perhaps even a message saying that plugins wont be copied across would be helpful. As I only had an idea things werent right when I re opened a project from Friday, that was created in 2015.4 or whatever the last version was to get a load of missing plugin messages after AE had finished updating the project file. so you then wast even more time.

As a test I've just moved the plugins and scripts folder into the new AE 2017 folder and everything has been picked up and is working without actually running the install programs for the likes of Trapcode suite etc so it seems daft for AE not to do it automaitcally like it has done in the past for previous updates!

that's what I'm saying, after all all my presets and program layouts came across via Creative Cloud so why not plugings and scripts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects hasn't copied plugins and scripts over from previous versions when it does a major update. This was from version 13.x to version 14 of After Effects. Especially when they jump whole version numbers, you've had to move/reinstall plugins and scripts. But you had to copy them manually from CC 2014 to CC 2015 (even though it was version 13.2 to version 13.5 - same for going from 13.7 to 13.8).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2016 Nov 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the same problem with CC 2017 not showing Print Studio Pro plug-in.Grrrrrrrrr.Adobe says it's Canon's problem and Canon says it's Adobe's! WTF.Would be nice if they sorted out compatibility issues before release.Manual install has failed.Bugger.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am totally pissed at Adobe for this. If any of the product managers read this, please please have the user's old plugins and scripts transfer to the new updated version of AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 11, 2017 Feb 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When it's a point update, it does keep all of your plugins and scripts, but when it's a whole new version, often plugins require an installer to run because of how they work. Not all plugins can simply be moved over. If they did, they might break them. I think Adobe is taking the "better safe than sorry" approach on this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I think is most annoying is that you are not warned. -- and you should be clearly warned. It can take a good deal of time to reinstall one's plugins, scripts, etc. Had I known, I would have delayed upgrading until I had a block of time large enough to complete the entire task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What several posters above are asking Adobe to do automatically (a terrible idea, in my opinion) is very quick to do manually, just copy your scripts and plugins folders to the new version.  However as Szalam says this won't work for certain plugins (those which install outside of the application folder for example) and it's better to check with each plugin developer to see if the plugin needs updating then re-installing it (or copying it over) yourself.

It shouldn't take a good deal of time to copy the folders over, and if re-installing or updating the plugins is necessary for compatibility then there isn't any way Adobe could do it automatically.  I think if the update just copied over old plugins / scripts to the new version then a huge number of users would open AE to find bugs, crashes etc. caused by incompatible or incorrectly copied plugins.  I'm genuinely surprised anyone thinks this would be a good idea (not deleting old app versions by default, on the other hand...).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

lartifice  wrote

What several posters above are asking Adobe to do automatically (a terrible idea, in my opinion) is very quick to do manually

I agree totally.   It takes two seconds copy the contents of the necessary folders over & yes...sometimes plugins need to be reinstalled or updated.   As for people saying "If I had known I would have waited to update".....WRONG.  If you were SMART you have waited to update or at least updated without uninstalling your previous version as was also already stated. If you were smart you would have known because you would have checked because that's what smart people do.

It is absolute common sense, especially if your income depends on it, that you inform yourself about possible compatibility issues involve with any software update when that software uses third party plug-ins.   It's OUR responsibility to be informed, read the provided documentation and release notes.    The unfortunate truth is that software has became so dummy proof that pretty much any dummy can use it because it requires very little instruction.

Even more unfortunate is the truth that if you updated without first finding out what would happen about your "loads" of third party plug-ins upon which you depend then you are incompetent & a fool.  Just ask Elvis Presley.

"Someone should have warned me that my third party plugins might not work"  

Just be thankful that Adobe has successfully made their software suite "dummy-proof" enough that you're even able to use it at all.

Come to think of it...you should be thankful that the world is "dummy-proof" enough that you're even still breathing. 

GRRRRRRRRR   "You can take the fish out of the gutter, but you can;t take the gutter our of the fish"

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines