• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tonal Curves Missing in Lightroom CC 2017?!?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Anyone find the Tonal Curves or Split Toning for that matter in the new Lightroom CC (cloud version)? I've looked everywhere and cannot find it. It's sort of ironic that Adobe made the new Lightroom CC very mobile-like to try and bring back all the Instagram photographers from using one of the million mobile only editing apps but left out Curves. That's what all those photographers use to achieve the Instagram look (you know, the filmy, hazy, vintage look). If it actually is missing they need to bring it back.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

i don't agree....most adjustments are on the same level as in classic.....curves was just completely left out....even stranger since it is available in LR mobile?

but yes, leaving out curves has to be a joke.....just like not being able to apply settings to more then one image at a time.....

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't expect to see the old Lightroom CC toolset in the new Lightroom CC. It's nowhere near that level of maturity yet.

See Tone Curve in the new Lightroom CC

Quote from that discussion:

There is no tone curve in Lightroom CC. Lightroom CC is a completely new editing tool that only has a fraction of the features of the old Lightroom which is now named "Lightroom Classic".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i don't agree....most adjustments are on the same level as in classic.....curves was just completely left out....even stranger since it is available in LR mobile?

but yes, leaving out curves has to be a joke.....just like not being able to apply settings to more then one image at a time.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's only so much that can be put into a version 1.0 program. Leaving out Curves isn't a joke, it's a choice to get the app out stable and in a reasonable time frame. Lightroom CC isn't complete by a large margin, but being a subscription app, at least there isn't a 2 year wait for new features.

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Sean,

i totally agree with you but its somewhat crazy that in the iphone App you have curves and in the desktop app not

any Idea about when this will be made available?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None unfortunately foersterphotography​. Don't even know the roadmap. Adobe tend to be hush about that.

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SeanMcCormack  wrote

There's only so much that can be put into a version 1.0 program. Leaving out Curves isn't a joke, it's a choice to get the app out stable and in a reasonable time frame. Lightroom CC isn't complete by a large margin, but being a subscription app, at least there isn't a 2 year wait for new features.

just a 2 year wait for the features we have become accustomed to having. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then why bother releasing a half baked product to the market ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't work for Adobe so I cannot comment on their business decisions.

What seems half-baked to you may satisfy others as it stands. If you need more than CC offers then Classic CC is the obvious answer for you but you won't get the Cloud-based workflow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plenty of other LR classic features missing from LR CC, the biggie for me is a history pallet, I use this numerous times on every edit.  No print module is also a biggie for Lightoom CC Plan subscribers (they don't have access to PS or LR Classic to print), photomerge HDR and panoramic, snap shots, highlight and shadow clipping warnings, the new luminescence and saturation masking options are also missing. There is also no slideshow, map, book and web modules, all the options in the camera calibration panel (including process version and profile) and that's just of the top of my head.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was no Book or Map in version 1. The only real change in Web was a change from XSLT galleries to Lua Galleries in V1.4 and then a switch away from Flash recently, which necessitated the addition of more galleries. In fact most of the output modules have seen little or no change and a lot of that is based on the in app metrics Adobe collect. Publish Services was a later addition.

Point curve only came later on. There were NO local adjustments in the early versions. Super basic lens correction, no post crop vignette. Print could only do Contact Sheets or basic repeated print design. Slideshow was even more basic that it is now.

As for web, there are shareable galleries that look far better than what Web offers.

There isn't going to be a two year wait for the new features, it'll be more like the additions the other CC apps have had.

I really don't get why you're not just using Classic, the app that DOES all of the stuff you're requesting. It isn't going away anytime soon. It didn't drop any features and gained a few, and lots a few pounds in the process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SeanMcCormack  wrote

I really don't get why you're not just using Classic, the app that DOES all of the stuff you're requesting. It isn't going away anytime soon. It didn't drop any features and gained a few, and lots a few pounds in the process.

I'm not requesting those features, I'm just pointing out that LR CC needs far more than just the tone curve and split toning panel's before it matches the feature set of LR CC classic. Personally I hope that never happens, a plain but functional organizer and development module is all that I require, if a history pallet, highlight and shadow clipping warnings and presets that include local adjustments are added to LR CC, it will meet my requirements.  Until then I will continue to use LR CC, but not all of us have that option to fall back on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wholeheartedly agree with you. And fortunately Adobe agree with both us. Lightroom CC is Ben Warde's baby and Ben did a significant amount of work in Classic before going to CC. You may know Ben from the Lightroom Coffee Break videos on YouTube.

This is Ben: The New Lightroom CC - Why You Might Care - YouTube

He Wants CC to be better too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SeanMcCormack  wrote

I wholeheartedly agree with you. And fortunately Adobe agree with both us. Lightroom CC is Ben Warde's baby and Ben did a significant amount of work in Classic before going to CC. You may know Ben from the Lightroom Coffee Break videos on YouTube.

This is Ben: The New Lightroom CC - Why You Might Care - YouTube

He Wants CC to be better too.

Thanks.  I'm primarily in Camp 2, but in Camp 3 regarding cloud storage.  There is no way that I will be transferring my entire catalogue online at the current storage space charges, at $10 a TB per month it would cost a small fortune !  So I will be using LR CC Classic for now, but keeping a close eye on developments with LR CC, once the features I require have been added I plan to switch to it, with the cloud storage switched off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I for one HOPE that Lr CC stays under featured so Lr Classic CC will have reason NOT to be discontinued and can be further developed as the Premier editing tool, and Lr CC as a secondary editing for more mobile photographers who need to shoot/edit/send their breaking news etc. to their clients. This is how I see the roles of Lr Classic CC and Lr CC. It makes the most sense to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The real role of Lightroom CC is an ecosystem that allows you to have access to your entire image library anywhere.

To me the concept is actually brilliant.

The logistics and having to pay to have my 8TB+ of photos online isn't ($100 a month-$1200 a year). Mostly because I'm only ever really using a handful of selects from anything I shoot. Loads of it is client work that will never see the light of day bar the few selected photos. From a practical point of view, I doubt I've have 1/10, or probably 1/100 of the work that would be used and reused. I don't need my whole library in the cloud. Just the best bits.

The exception would be recent shoots to aid in selection when away from the computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SeanMcCormack  wrote

The real role of Lightroom CC is an ecosystem that allows you to have access to your entire image library anywhere.

To me the concept is actually brilliant.

The logistics and having to pay to have my 8TB+ of photos online isn't ($100 a month-$1200 a year). Mostly because I'm only ever really using a handful of selects from anything I shoot. Loads of it is client work that will never see the light of day bar the few selected photos. From a practical point of view, I doubt I've have 1/10, or probably 1/100 of the work that would be used and reused. I don't need my whole library in the cloud. Just the best bits.

The exception would be recent shoots to aid in selection when away from the computer.

Agreed, we have similar views there as well.  As primarily a landscape photographer I routinely capture numerous exposures of the same composition then choose the one with the best clouds, water action or combination of the both to process.  The rest never see the light of day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in a few years all of our images and files will be in the cloud, LR CC is just adobe's first real step in that direction....

i am completely in favor of moving everything into the cloud, although it is still a little strange to trust one company with my files....keeping a local copy seems even stranger because it questions the whole point of the cloud....

there are plenty of cloud services out right now but tons of images need a dedicates service like apple, google or now adobe.....

the only thing i am upset about is the pricing adobe has put on this......most serious photographers (i am not using pro on purpose here) probably have 5+TB to store which puts them at 109.99/month which is just crazy......there is no other way of putting it....

i have no doubt that LR CC will get a lot better, features will be added, it will become the mainstream (i hope it does) but only if people figure out how to keep trimming away those unwanted shots because i don't see adobe ever lowering their prices....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, here's the problem with a 100% Lr CC Cloud solution, with no external ability to keep your images and catalog on a local HD.

You are locking your edited images/catalog to being only able to use Adobe products. At the mercy (sarcastically) of their cloud pricing!

Why not allow interface's with OneDrive, or Google Drive, or Dropbox? Making a copy on your local HD to edit and keeping the edited images on your local drive, but all the originals and unedited images on the Cloud. Personally deleting unneeded images to keep the Cloud usage done.

Or how about $2.00 a TB for Cloud space rental?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am using pcloud right now with my entire catalog referenced to a virtual HD on my desktop (wherever i go) works fine, obviously it all depends on connection speed, price is also obviously a lot lower then what adobe is asking....

pcloud also has features allowing to sync certain folders "back" to your internal HD for faster access....again: works great....

but from what i have seen so far the adobe integration, sync between mobile, speed and (what i am assuming) it will handle local storage in a smarter way is just much better, as it should be.....i am handing over all my data along with data management (no folder structure in the cloud)....but still too much money.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@PeterArbib Totally agree! What I have been doing is editing in Lightroom Classic and saving on my iMac SSD, the same as always. From there I open Lightroom CC and import the select few photos from the batch I just edited. This helps save valuable (and expensive) cloud storage space and keeps a hard copy of the edited photo on my iMac. This way if I ever stop paying for Creative Cloud I won't lose my edited photos. The downside is only the edited versions are in the cloud, not the original RAW photos, so if I want to start over I have to do it the iMac, I can't edit on my iPhone. This kind of defeats the purpose of the cloud. Maybe the solution for Adobe is store everything but allow for a backup to a hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pschefz  wrote

in a few years all of our images and files will be in the cloud, LR CC is just adobe's first real step in that direction....

i am completely in favor of moving everything into the cloud, although it is still a little strange to trust one company with my files....keeping a local copy seems even stranger because it questions the whole point of the cloud....

there are plenty of cloud services out right now but tons of images need a dedicates service like apple, google or now adobe.....

the only thing i am upset about is the pricing adobe has put on this......most serious photographers (i am not using pro on purpose here) probably have 5+TB to store which puts them at 109.99/month which is just crazy......there is no other way of putting it....

i have no doubt that LR CC will get a lot better, features will be added, it will become the mainstream (i hope it does) but only if people figure out how to keep trimming away those unwanted shots because i don't see adobe ever lowering their prices....

Agreed.  I have just done some rough calculations.  Based on a 10 TB portfolio, with 1 TB of additional images being added each year, it would cost over $17000 to store your entire portfolio online at S10 a TB for 10 years (assuming prices don't change), compared to $750 to triple back up 1 TB of new images a year on $100 4TB external hard drives over the same period.  Even taking into account that some of these hard drives, as well as those you've currently got your images backed up on are likely to fail over that period.  It's still a massive difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i don't even want to think about the long terms price.....i just got a 8TB HD for 150$ to migrate my catalog.....which btw i can back up for 50$?/YEAR!!!! UNLIMITED storage!!!!! non throttled cloud back up with backblaze

i actually don't mind going through my files and deleting old images and shoots (going through my catalog and selecting all unrated images from shoots i haven't looked at in 10 years, deleting 100-1000/shoot and still keeping the best ones) ....but that still isn t a long terms solution....and yes, i am shooting 50+mpix files right now, it adds up.....

for a long terms solution the prices will have to come down or the tiers have to go up (which i am sure they will)

i can also see a solution in LR CC which allows for selective cloud storage/sync.....so those old shoots don't have to be on adobe's cloud....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pschefz  wrote

i can also see a solution in LR CC which allows for selective cloud storage/sync.....so those old shoots don't have to be on adobe's cloud....

That's the option i'm planning to take when I few move features have been added to LR CC (history pallet, highlight and shadow clipping warnings and presets that include local adjustments).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. 1TB is somewhat reasonable over and above what we already pay for Creative Cloud, but after that the prices are silly. They need to get CC on par with Classic and lower the cloud storage pricing, or at least let us choose which photos in CC get moved to the cloud. It shouldn't be a solution where everything or nothing goes. Also, they should allow for sending to more than 1 device. I.e. I want some photos from CC that are in the cloud to show up on my iPad and others on my iPhone. I don't want every photo on every device. We need to have control over these things, after all we are the customer and we are the ones paying for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines