• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to Right Click (Secondary Click) in After Effects on second monitor?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there-thanks in advance for any help!

I seem to have run into an issue on after effects, I am using a Macbook Pro-Retina 2014 on High Sierra.

When I connect my computer to a monitor and use it as a dual display, I am unable to right click, as well as use any drop down menus: such as for blending modes.

The issue isn't with my screen or mouse as I can right click elsewhere such as on my desktop and other applications just not in After Effects.

Currently using : After Effects CC (2017)

Any help appreciated many thanks!

Seth

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Hello.

I had the exact same issue with After Effects.

I ended up finding a way to deal with it.

In the Mission Control preference panel, you have to uncheck the "screens have their own spaces" (sorry, I'm french, i dont know the exact terms used in the english version of macOS). That's the last checkbox in the list.

After a restart, the right click drop down menus are back on my second screen (on both After Effects CC 2017 and 2018)

Hope it will work for you.

Let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody else having this problem???

Am I alone on this....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working just fine for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem now! Youre not alone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2017 Oct 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same problem. If I move the window/panel back to the main display, right click works. As soon as it's on a secondary monitor it quits working.

I killed all my preferences and then rebuilt them... as soon as a panel is on the secondary monitor, I can't right click.

This is on a trashcan Mac Pro with dual monitors, one Apple Cinema, one Dell. The monitor that it works on (Dell) is the one designated in the OS as the primary. Running OSX 10.13.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2017 Oct 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Driving me absolutely nuts. Anyone got a fix?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot reproduce the bug and it does not seem to be effecting other users. Please file a bug and include complete workflow and system details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2017 Oct 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

​Are you using High Sierra? It looks like that's the OS that it's occurring on. Latest of version of CC too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey dude!

Spent a while with an Adobe technician on this and the conclusion (for me at least) was that its a bug with High Sierra OSX and After Effects...So hopefully there should be an update soon. I hope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2017 Oct 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah High Sierra is what I'm using. One of those tiny bugs that is SO infuriating, hope they sort it soon! Cheers for the reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2017 Oct 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using High Sierra and have exact same problem.

Please fix it asap!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using High Sierra and have exact same problem!

even with the last updates from Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue reported here - all updates have been made to the latest versions - but it looks like only on my personal iMac (2011) - my work Mac Pro seems to work alright

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. Hopefully a fix is on the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have all of you tried it with the new version of AE that released last week?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have and it still is happening.  I reset preferences, and even uninstalled and re-installed AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I can't help much as I don't have HiDPI screens to test with.

Everyone, please file bug reports with as much detail as you can muster! Adobe needs to see the issue to fix it and, so far, this thread has just been us users.

You can file them here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using High Sierra (MacOS 10.13) & CC 15.0 and the symptom is like below image.

I found right click doesn't work when timeline panel, project panel, and composition panel are separated on secondary monitor.

UnableToRightClick.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem although strangely it is only happening on my third monitor, if i move the window over to the second monitor its fine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I discovered while making the bug report that on the Mac Display settings, the monitor with the White Bar (your Main Monitor) the context menu works. Any secondary or alternate display do not work. - changing the white bar to a different monitor will break the right click functionality on both monitors until After Effects is rebooted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here - thought I was going nuts or potentially a conflict with my Wacom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. This bug is terrible. I'm assuming it's a combination between:

macOS High Sierra

After Effects 2018 v15.0.0

Right-click works on my second monitor for all applications, except for AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here!

macOS High Sierra, AfterEffects 2018 v15.0.0, Magic Mouse / Wacom Intus Pro

When the timeline panel is in a different monitor than the other windows... right-click not working. Not with the trackpad, not with the mouse.

Please fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same exact issue here! SO FRUSTRATING!!!!

macOS High Sierra, AfterEffects 2018 v15.0.0, Magic Mouse / Wacom Intus Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I had the exact same issue with After Effects.

I ended up finding a way to deal with it.

In the Mission Control preference panel, you have to uncheck the "screens have their own spaces" (sorry, I'm french, i dont know the exact terms used in the english version of macOS). That's the last checkbox in the list.

After a restart, the right click drop down menus are back on my second screen (on both After Effects CC 2017 and 2018)

Hope it will work for you.

Let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines