• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to load borrowed (library) books into digital editions.

New Here ,
Feb 12, 2015 Feb 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Mac with OS X 10.10.2 (Yosemite).  I am running Digital Editions 4.0.3.  The same problem also happened on Digital editions 4.0.2.

I have signed into Digital editions with my Adobe ID and can see all of my books (I migrated from a PC).  However, I cannot open any new borrowed (library) epub books in digital editons.  The error message I get is Error getting License. License Server Communication Problem: E_ACT_NOT_READY

I have tried signing out of digital editions.  In the older (4.0.2_ version I was able to do this, sign back in again, but still had the same problem (same error message).  In the newer digital editions when I try to erase authorization information, I get the error message Unable to erase authorization information.  Please try again after some time.

I am pretty sure this a mac-only problem as it works perfectly well and I am able to add borrowed books etc on my PC.  I am new to mac so maybe I am missing something obvious....but from reading other things it seems like this is a long-standing issue.  Any help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2015 Feb 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i think it is not a Mac-only problem. Several of us seem to have trouble downoloading library books when formerly this was not a problem. Can't believe we have no tech people telling us what is going on!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2016 Dec 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me on PC ever since I OK'd an update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 13, 2015 Feb 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have the acsm file or the download link for your book which is not opening then, you can try below steps:

- Delete the book from ADE library.

- Fulfill (Download) the book again.

Hope this works !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌I can't delete the book from the ADE library because it won't open in the first place. It works complelelty nor ally on my windows computer so for now I guess I will just have to use that instead of my Mac.

not sure why I can't erase my authorization informavion though....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To delete the book,

Go to Documents folder -> Digital Editions.

Your book should be listed there.

If it does not work, then you can try to de-activate and then re-activate your user in ADE.

To erase Activation:

Close ADE.

And Navigate to /Users//Library/Application Support/Adobe/Digital Editions and drag the activation.dat file to the trash.

Now when you open the ADE, You will no longer be activated and you can authorize again.

I hope it helps.

-Chirag

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, For loaned books, once you de-authorize your user, loan token also gets deleted. So I don't think you will be able to open the loaned book again after re-activation.

It will be great if you could re-download the book from the library after you activate on ADE as suggested by @shreya above.

I hope it helps.

-Chirag

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌As I said above,

when I try to erase authorization information, I get the error message Unable to erase authorization information.  Please try again after some time.

so I can't sign out of ADE....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On your mac, Press "command-Q". It should kill ADE.

Then Navigate to /Users/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Digital Editions and drag the activation.dat file to the trash.

It should delete the activation record from mac.

Now when you launch ADE, you will no longer be activated.

I hope it helps.

-Chirag

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Then Navigate to /Users/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Digital Editions and drag the activation.dat file to the trash.

It should delete the activation record from mac."

*This* is helpful. I'll try this when I get home.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 14, 2015 Feb 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where would I find this file on a windows computer? Have looked everywhere. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 15, 2015 Feb 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi rosek89225924,

If you are not able to erase authorization directly from ADE.

Please follow the following steps:

1. Close all applications.
  2. Choose Start > Run.
  3. In the Open text box, type regedit and then press Enter. The Registry Editor opens.
  4. In the left pane of the Registry Editor, locate the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adept

5. Select the Adept key.
  6. Choose File > Export.
  7. In the Export Registry File dialog box, select Selected Branch under Export Range. Enter a name and location for the backup registry key, and then click Save.
  8. Right-click the Adept key and choose Delete.
  9. In the Confirm Key Delete dialog, click OK.
  10. Close the Registry Editor.
  11. Open Adobe Digital Editions and reauthorize.

I hope it helps.

-Chirag

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2015 May 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked perfectly for me. Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 15, 2015 Feb 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Foe Windows, you need to delete the registry entry in case you are facing problems with deauthorization:

Windows:

• Choose Start > Run.
  • In the Open text box, type regedit and then press Enter. The Registry Editor opens.
  • In the left pane of the Registry Editor, locate the following registry key:
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adept
  • Right-click the Adept key and choose Delete.
  • In the Confirm Key Delete dialog, click OK.

Your authorization will be deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2015 May 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES! Thank you! I've been having this problem for a while and couldn't find an answer but your answer worked!  I also was unable to deauthorize on a Windows 7 system, but this finally worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2016 Dec 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The deleting of the adept key is the only thing that worked to allow me to deauthorize.  After authorization everything started to work again. I had to delete and reload digital editions a couple of time to get it to work without getting into a "not responding" condition but all is now working as usual.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2015 May 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What command do you use on Windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI I was able to delete the file and reauthorize using an overdrive account (I don't trust the adobe ID to work properly) and this time I was able to load my book without much issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked! Thank you! Probably some conflict between Adobe ID and Keychain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same problem, i.e. can download books from my local public library, but when I try to transfer them to my reader (Kobo), nothing happens. Specifically, I can download the file to my laptop (WIndows 7). Double clicking on the downloaded file opens ADE, but I don't see the "Library" button which enables the transfer of the file to my ebook reader via drag and drop.

I have been reading various messages about similar problems and these are the things I have tried:

1) deactivate the authorisation from within ADE and reauthorise

2) uninstall ADE and reinstall 4.5.3

3) edit registry and delete the authorisation (twice)

4) uninstall 4.5.3 and install 3.0 (yes, I repeated step (3) above before I did that and reauthorised).

I have also done the obvious things like

• restarting the laptop after editing the registry
  • trying with completely new downloaded files
  • deleting the old files from the download folder and re-downloading them.

Both (or is it all?) versions of ADE can see my ereader but can't see any files on it. When ADE starts up the various file menus (File, Menu, Help) are greyed out.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Regards

Guy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2016 Dec 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

deleting and loading again does not work. I have been unable to open downloaded library books since the 10th December. all the experts seems to be on holiday or like to ignore this query

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2017 Jan 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i uninstalled the program and re installed it again and my problem was solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 01, 2017 Jan 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think I want to spend more time on this. I have tried creating a different account for ADE with an old email address. The best I could do was to add the old address as an alternate address. I can sign in to the (second) library site and download books, but the same problem persists, i.e. ADE will not open. (this is adter removing the earlier version I had downloaded, deauthorising, altering the registry, and reauthorising.) I am just going to read this content on my tablet (i.e. books from my local public libraries) and use Calibre to look for free or inexpensive ebooks from other sources. What a terrible mangled and thorougly unacceptable piece of software ADE is. I never want to open it again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's so frustrating.  The registry key in the solution that is working for everyone doesn't exist on my laptop so I can't fix the problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines