• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2018 Kerning issue

Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to 2018 and was trying to adjust the kerning on two lines of text. I increased the font and wanted to adjust the kerning manually. It was set to 48pt, so i hit the up arrow and it jumps to 428.3 pt, so i hit down, it jumps to 3734.96 pt. I adjust it with the slider, nope, it goes off the scale. I tried typing the exact point, nope, still wonky. The only way it will set properly is when I use the drop down. What's the deal - I knew i should have never update so early.

Rob

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. it seems this issue only comes up when I open a legacy photoshop file, which is every file i have. If I start a new document and type some text and adjust the kerning, it's normal. Not really efficient if I am having to adjust older version files. What's so different between 20017 and 2018?

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same issue. I tested it on a new file vs an old one. Things are fine on a new file but only on certain legacy files, or a file that was made by someone else in a different program. Seems like this problem might randomly happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, too, am having this issue.

Like the both of you, it's happening on legacy files only. Rather, I couldn't get this to happen on new files.

I've noticed, however, that if you modify the value in the Properties window, you will get the value you wanted.

The value in the Properties window will change to something else, but the value in the Character window will change to what you typed into the Properties window.

For example, I want to change the kerning from 52pts to 82pts. I try to type 82 for kerning in the Character window, and it changes to some ungodly number I don't want - and there's a completely different value for kerning in the Properties window.

Next, I type 82 for kerning in the Properties window, the value for kerning in the Character window changes to 82 - and the value for kerning in the Properties window changes to some ungodly number I don't want.

Confusing? Completely, but it's working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens for me on new files and legacy. On a new file I'll type a line, hit return, type another. If I adjust the leading, it works ok. BUT, if I scale up the text THEN adjust the leading, it goes crazy in BOTH the character window AND properties window. The scaling part was mentioned in another comment from someone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed! I see it now.

The values in the Character and Property window don't match any longer during a scale.

Good eye!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Can I just check your issue. Do you mean the leading value (there is no kerning entry in the properties box)?

If so then the issue has been picked up by Adobe.

The workaround is :

a. Enter the leading value in the Properties panel.

b. When you hit enter the value in the properties panel box will change to something different (that is a bug) but will now show correctly in the Character panel

c. The value applied to the text will be the same as you entered and now shown in the character panel

Note : The workaround does not work backwards - you must enter in the properties box.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leading, not kerning. Promise I won't confuse that ever again.

Thank you for confirming the workaround, and THANK YOU for your attention.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Thank you.... and i did mean Leading... not kerning, sorry about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rob and Robert no worries on the terminology - I just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same issue

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines