• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to share saved Elements from a .xd in a new blank .xd-file?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!
I've downloaded the free UI-kit. A real great collection! Now i want to use these elements in my own project … but when i'm going to copy and paste the elements from one file to another – the element is no longer listed in the elements section – why?! Also a drag&drop won't work from one file to another, it is for real?

regards and thanks a lot for any suggests!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

It could be that when you say elements section you mean the symbols section. If that's the case, then yes, it seems you can't copy a symbol from one document to another. But, while the item is still selected after a paste you could easily click the + button in the symbol section to make it be a symbol in your document.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The element's section is probably the name of the artboard that the UI element is originally on in the source XD file. I am not aware of an interface item within XD that label. So, when you copy that UI element from one XD file to another, the parent artboard is ignored, hence not begin in the 'elements' section.

As for drag and drop, it is something is the roadmap. Working with CC libraries have been of a higher importance to the team for the past few releases. You can always leave a suggestion or up vote it if already listed at Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Requests & Bugs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chris,

i'm going to leave a Feature-Request for drag&drop … in 2017 … ok?

To work with the CC-Library is another question … the dowloaded xd-file contains a huge collection of elements on artboards – and if i try to send one element from an artboard or from somewere else to my CC-Library … nothing works. The actual XD-CC-Library connection is just for "reading" the existing elements. I can't put anything in it to share something across two XD documents.

thanks for your reply, i think i have to wait a bit for my next meetup with xd …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be that when you say elements section you mean the symbols section. If that's the case, then yes, it seems you can't copy a symbol from one document to another. But, while the item is still selected after a paste you could easily click the + button in the symbol section to make it be a symbol in your document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Colin! I think you're right, i'm meaning symbols … your suggest is one way … but it is not a efficient one …
I think xd have to grow up … and i have to wait or chose another way …

thanks and regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Currently you're facing two limitations in XD 1.0:

• You can't copy symbols across documents.
  • You can't put an XD symbol into CC Libraries (sharing the same symbol and keeping it in sync across documents).

Currently you can use CC Libraries to share raster assets created in Adobe apps like Photoshop, or vector assets created in apps like Illustrator -- this is really useful for elements like icons, logos, and photo images.  But it's definitely not the same as being able to share full XD symbols!

We're working on this, but if you'd like to add some fuel to the fire, please upvote these two feature requests:

Creative Cloud Library Support (share symbols/assets across multiple files or team) – Adobe XD Feedb...

Copy and paste symbol into a new document, keep it as a symbol – Adobe XD Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines