• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple search words

Engaged ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you type more than one word in the top search box, are the treated as "matches any" or "matches all". 

For example, If typed in "red car" would i get only red cars or all cars and all red images?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll get photos it thinks have both something red and a car.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Victoria.  So, it as a "matches all" sort of logic.   Another question how do I deal with key words that have a space in them.  For example if I have  KW "dodge dart"  and I only want images for Dodge Darts if in the search box I type "Dodge Dart"  would it return an image that has KW "Dodge" (not "Dodge Dart") and also has the keyword "Dart" (for some reason)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it's pretty simple at this point. Put the scenario you describe in as a feature request at Lightroom CC | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Victoria,  I thought I understood but maybe it's not like you say.  When I type in "Mountain Utah Arches" I get 13 images.  However, when I add "winter" to the list ("Mountain Utah Arches Winter"), now I get 60 images.  So, if your answer was correct it should not be possible to get more images when adding more criteria.  There must be something else going on that is not yet clear to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you get to 4 words, it starts working more on probability - like does it match 3 out of the 4 words.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh - subtle hidden nuances.  I don't mind so much there being such nuances, but what does bother me is the lack of real documentation that I can find.  I should be able to pull up a document for LR/CC-2917 Searching that explains how it works, what data it uses in what situations, etc. - including what you mentioned above.  It would really save everyone a lot of time asking questions in these and other forums.  (Sorry just ranting a bit)

I'm not talking about a marketing video that shows the highlights I'm talking about text documents that explains all the details of each tool or feature.  Does Adobe produce such things anymore or do we have to wait for 3rd parties (like yourself) to market a book? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with your documentation point. There have been quite a few Q&As which end up being about 'hidden' or not obvious functions but no real user manual to refer to. Just the sales pitch of the main features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe's documentation's never gone into these hidden nuances. Even we authors are having to drag the details out of them one at a time, guessing the right questions to ask, or testing and testing until we figure it out ourselves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's sad.  It's like buying a new car and the manual says "just drive - you'll figure it out if you don't crash first"

What's odd is that I worked for Adobe for 5 years in the late 90's.  I was a manger supporting their business applications and we were required to supply "how to user documentation" to our internal Adobe departments that used the SW we supported.  So, Adobe requires for apps their people use but doesn't see the value in providing user documentation for the people who use their products.  What is the world coming to.  Don't answer that, I think I know - 'Our SW is so user friendly and intuitive that there is no need for written documentation'.   Oops, maybe not. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on the questions that appear on the forums these days that ARE covered in the documentation, I'm not entirely convinced people consult it first any more. We've been trained by mobile apps to just expect it to work the way we expect it to work, and expect to find the answer on Google within 3 seconds if it doesn't. Some people still love to know the nitty gritty details, so those of us in education still have a job, but times are changing. In some ways, it's a good thing, because it pushes the engineers and beta testers to make sure the software is more intuitive. There's still a gap though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you're right on one level.  But what is intuitive to me is the opposite of what my wife thinks is intuitive and vice-versa.  I recall an old joke that went around several decades ago:  "Bucket seats are wonderful if everyone has the same size bucket".  🙂

I guess I'm one of those old folks who would rather look in an official document for answers than wade through forums where I don't know if the person answering is as clueless as i am and and is guessing, is an employee of the SW company and maybe knows something or is an independent someone who actually knows stuff (like yourself Victoria).  The Adobe Site is nicer than most in that it shows who is staff and also shows who is an ACP - but I can't find any documentation that explains what an ACP is  (I'm guessing Adobe Certified Professional") but could just as easily be "Advance Crack Pot" for all I know (no offense, just making a point). 

I just feel sad being left behind in the technological dust when I, during 40 years in IT, was responsible for advancing technology and bringing new and wonderful things to my customers like Email and Monitors in COLOR (would you believe) - Text only, but in color.  I recall a 3 month argument I had with my boss about spending some cash on getting an email system for the company.  His argument was 'Why would anyone want email when we have voice maii?".  Funny now, but then it was a serious question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

LOL Adobe Community Professional. Although I'm sure a lot of us are Advanced Crack Pots too. You have to be to stick around here! Here you go: Meet the Experts I just googled Adobe ACP.

But yes, I get the logic, and there is a lot of misinformation out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines