• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Back and forth develop adjustments in LRClassic and LRCC

Participant ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted this technical question to the Luminous Landscape forum, and then in the Lightroom BLOG under Tom Hogarty's Oct 29 entry. but none of their experts has answered yet. So let me try here:

When syncing an image to both Classic and CC (or Mobile) and making develop adjustments (not simultaneously) in both, it is not clear how the additional capabilities in Classic (Camera Calibration, curves,…) are handled by CC.

For example, suppose I change Camera Calibration from Adobe Standard to Camera Landscape in Classic, is this maintained as the base when I later work in CC or on an iPad? What is the unstated Camera Calibration in CC? Is it Adobe Standard?

In other words, if I move a Camera Landscape file from Classic to CC, work on it there, then move back to Classic, will I still find Camera Landscape or will it have changed to Adobe Standard or???

The question gets even more complicated if you change to an earlier process version of Camera Calibration in Classic and then move to CC.

Similarly, if one changes the curves in Classic, what happens in CC?

Does anyone have a definitive answer to these knowable unknown?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

The whole of the camera raw engine is in LRCC behind the scenes, so the photo renders the same way as it would in Classic. CC just doesn't have a UI for everything (yet). The exception is custom camera profiles. If you're on the same machine, then the custom profiles would still apply as normal, but the actual profiles themselves don't get synced to other computers/mobile devices at this point, so your mobile device might render differently if you'd used a custom profile that doesn't ship with L

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The whole of the camera raw engine is in LRCC behind the scenes, so the photo renders the same way as it would in Classic. CC just doesn't have a UI for everything (yet). The exception is custom camera profiles. If you're on the same machine, then the custom profiles would still apply as normal, but the actual profiles themselves don't get synced to other computers/mobile devices at this point, so your mobile device might render differently if you'd used a custom profile that doesn't ship with LR. This would only affect things like camera profiles you've created yourself or ones that come with presets like VSCO.

If you change to an earlier process version, it'll still render correctly, but the CC apps insist that you update before it'll let you adjust the edits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Exactly how I thought it had to work, but great to get it confirmed.

I presume if you start editing in CC, camera calibration will be Adobe Standard and later show up as such in Classic where you could change to another profile. [?]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Victoria+Bampton+LR+Queen  wrote

The whole of the camera raw engine is in LRCC behind the scenes, so the photo renders the same way as it would in Classic. CC just doesn't have a UI for everything (yet). The exception is custom camera profiles. If you're on the same machine, then the custom profiles would still apply as normal, but the actual profiles themselves don't get synced to other computers/mobile devices at this point, so your mobile device might render differently if you'd used a custom profile that doesn't ship with LR. This would only affect things like camera profiles you've created yourself or ones that come with presets like VSCO.

If you change to an earlier process version, it'll still render correctly, but the CC apps insist that you update before it'll let you adjust the edits.

OK, I've got Classic and LR CC on the same computer.  So if I select the Camera Landscape profile in Classic, it will be synced across to CC, which gives me the same starting point as I would have got if CC, if had classic's camera calibration pallet with the camera landscape profile selected ?

The same would also apply with the tone curve, but this would have to be applied in classic before any adjusts in CC are made. I am correct ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, and yes but I think other adjustments in CC could precede doing the tone curve in Classic. I think of each of the adjustment panels as being like adjustment layers in Photoshop. They are independent. As was pointed out, only the UI is missing for some of them in CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do I understand it correctly that I can then synchronize the edits from LR Classic CC into LR CC, even though the catalogs are different? How does LR CC "know" that I'm editing a specific image in LR Classic CC? I've been trying to find an answer to that but haven't been able to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As they as they're syncing via the cloud, it works. You just have to make sure sync is enabled in both Classic and CC. Note that some things don't sync, such as keywords and album folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Victoria, this is helpful. Is there a help article I could read on it? I was trying to find something yesterday but ended up landing on a bunch of 404 pages (Lightroom CC FAQ's section on this page) forums.adobe.com/community/lightroom

I'd like to upgrade to the 1TB CC option but I want to make sure I can preserve my workflow AND get the additional benefits of syncing my catalogs and edits to Mobile & CC (with the understanding that not everything is available in CC yet)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not aware of a help article on the subject, but I'm working on a couple of blog posts for my Lightroom Queen blog, so if you don't mind holding that thought, I should be able to write up the info you need.

It might help to understand where you want it to fit into your workflow, for example, do you specifically need originals in the cloud, or do you just need to be able to view/edit the photos on the other devices?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds great, thanks Victoria! I'm evaluating both having the originals available in the cloud as well as being able to edit on other devices. I currently use the Amazon cloud backup for my photos and I'm wondering if I can replace it with this subscription, to keep everything in one place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bitm07  wrote

OK, I've got Classic and LR CC on the same computer.  So if I select the Camera Landscape profile in Classic, it will be synced across to CC, which gives me the same starting point as I would have got if CC, if had classic's camera calibration pallet with the camera landscape profile selected ?

The same would also apply with the tone curve, but this would have to be applied in classic before any adjusts in CC are made. I am correct ?

Yes, it can all sync back and forth via the cloud.

In fact, if you frequently use the same camera profiles or specific tone curves, create a presets for them in Classic. Then add that same preset to CC desktop and you'll be able to simply apply the preset from the CC interface. CC desktop understands Classic's preset format, whether that's for tone curves, camera profiles or anything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that's worth knowing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Victoria+Bampton+LR+Queen  wrote

In fact, if you frequently use the same camera profiles or specific tone curves, create a presets for them in Classic. Then add that same preset to CC desktop and you'll be able to simply apply the preset from the CC interface. CC desktop understands Classic's preset format, whether that's for tone curves, camera profiles or anything else.

If you would like to have changes in Classic presets appear almost live in CC and vice versa AND you have no fear and some familiarity with terminal and unix commands on MacOS ....  it is possible to use a symbolic link (symlink) to connect them. You use the ln -s command. It works at the Develop Presets folder level and not (for obscure reasons) at the User Presets folder level. The first directory location in the command below is the Classic Develop Presets folder and the second is the location where the symlink for CC will go. You need to delete or move the existing/original empty CC Develop Presets folder before executing the command else the command will fail.

The symlink will be labelled as an alias in the Finder, but it is not an alias you can create with the Finder. Those will not work.

Changes you make in CC or Classic will show up in the other only after the other app is restarted.

Terminal command:

MyComputer:~ YourAccount$ ln -s /Users/UserName/Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/Lightroom/Develop\ Presets /Users/UserName/Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/Lightroom\ CC

NOTE WELL: if you are not comfortable with this sort of command level action and don't understand how to replace the dummy names in the above command with your values, stop now. You can drag and drop Finder folders onto the command line. Presumably something like this is possible also on Windows but the unix ln command will not work.

FEATURE REQUEST: seems like it would be so easy for Adobe to implement this kind of cross app synching of presets with a simple preference switch hiding symlinks behind the curtain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can't see anyway to get an import preset in the mobile (iPad) app. Am I missing something?

One key field workflow with the new LRCC and LRClassic would be to important (maybe selectively) to LRCC on iPad, do some basic adjustments and selections in the motel or tent. And then be able to build on those adjustments back at the desktop with Classic.

It is a bit clunky, but not impossible, to import via an iPad because one has to import to Photos and then to LR via the camera roll -- and then delete the now duplicated camera roll images since there are memory constraints on the mobile devices. Would be an important feature to have a direct import to LRCC on iPad.

FEATURE REQUESTS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't look like you are going to get a definitive answer, but most of that can be worked out with a few simple comparisons between the results form the two editors in Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a tell a lie, thanks Victoria your reply is helpful to me as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines