• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom CC with Lightroom Classic

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once you migrate your catalog to CC, can you still use Lightroom Classic?

Currently, when I import photos to my iPad Pro or iPhone they are automatically downloaded to my laptop through Lightroom. I'd love to have the cloud storage and online backup while still using Classic for more complicated edits and local storage.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Hi  WSrees,

Yes, You can still use Lightroom Classic CC as an individual application. So, everythingworks like before, only thing that changed as far as sync is concerned is that you now have Lightroom CC(a cloud based app) where you can see and edit all your synced images from other devices. I'd recommend you to check out this article Introducing: Lightroom CC, Lightroom Classic CC and More | Photoshop Blog by Adobe

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi  WSrees,

Yes, You can still use Lightroom Classic CC as an individual application. So, everythingworks like before, only thing that changed as far as sync is concerned is that you now have Lightroom CC(a cloud based app) where you can see and edit all your synced images from other devices. I'd recommend you to check out this article Introducing: Lightroom CC, Lightroom Classic CC and More | Photoshop Blog by Adobe

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave CC a try, and migrated my database from classic.  It created a entirely new folder with all the files copied over.  So, currently I have 2 copies of every photo on my computer.  If i plan on using both programs for a few months to see which i prefer, how can I do so, and keep my photos in order.  Is there a master folder (classic or CC)?  Did I migrate correctly, or was there some way to use the folder with my photos from classic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave CC a try, and migrated my database from classic.  It created a entirely new folder with all the files copied over.

That should not be. What was your procedure in doing this migration?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File > Migrate Lightroom Catalog > Continue > Choose Catalog (which i

pointed to my lightroommasters folder from LR classic) > Continue

It then asked for 316gB of space, which i freed up, and ran the migration.

But, i notice that I still have my lightroom Masters folder with all the

photos sorted by year and month (as i have set up in Lightroom classic),

but now i have a new folder (Lightroom

CC/b56647f787ab445481db66a963bb8310/originals), and that folder also has

all the files on there.

Now, it is still sync’ing, and uploading to the cloud, so maybe it will

delete that new folder after its completed (maybe a temp folder)?

Thank You,

Eric J. Haraga

On October 24, 2017 at 9:19:19 PM, dewisant (forums_noreply@adobe.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, that is correct on what happens. The new Lightroom CC makes a local copy of your images for its own use. However, you can change how much disk space it uses for this purpose in the Preferences. It also uploads your specified images to the cloud, of course.

Migrate photos and videos from Lightroom Classic CC to Lightroom CC

This thread also could be helpful:

Lightroom CC migration requires too much disk space

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, that is correct on what happens. The new Lightroom CC makes a local copy of your images for its own use.

Thanks for that information. And then what? What happens to those copied files? Surely they aren't kept by an app that is said to be cloud-only? It seems to me as if it would make sense for files to be migrated directly from the Lr Classic CC library to the cloud without the need for duplication. I must be missing something about the way Adobe Lightroom CC operates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries, it can be confusing! However, the new Lightroom CC is not a cloud-only app. It is a desktop app.

However, the permanent storage for your files is via uploading to the cloud. Then Lr CC will keep smart previews of your images locally and sync the adjustments data back and forth as needed... which means that you can use the app even when offline.

Lr CC will also keep/cache copies of some (or all, if you want) of your full high-res images locally. You can control how much disk space Lr CC uses on your hard disk. Just keep in mind that the app manages this disk space, not the user (like with Lr Classic).

In any event, the local disk storage areas for Lr CC and Lr Classic are completely separate and do not intermingle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the clarification with that. My last question:

If i am unsure at this point on classic vs cc, and wanted to ty both for a

month or two. Would i have two local databases (copies of all originals)?

And is there a way to keep one database with the originals the master, and

have it sync with both classic and cc (just during my test of the new CC)?

Thank You,

Eric J. Haraga

On October 25, 2017 at 11:56:54 AM, ProDesignTools (forums_noreply@adobe.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a good question. Yes, each app would maintain its own database. The amount of Lr CC local storage used can be adjusted, as described above.

It's not recommended to run with all of your images in both simultaneously. However, you could try out certain aspects of different workflows with your new photos. Check out this FAQ for more info on how you could approach it:

Lightroom CC Common questions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2017 Dec 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, my situation is this (as a newcomer to any version of Lightroom)...I misunderstood the process by which Lightroom Classic CC and Lightroom CC sync and first of all catalogued everything on my computer in Lightroom Classic  CC and then enabled sync to Lightroom CC. This as I now understand from reading various threads meant the photos on my desktop were uploaded to the cloud as smart previews which meant I couldn't edit them on my portable devices (iPad - which I found out from experience when editing options were not available).

Also I should mention that I catalogued with the option of copying the pictures to another location on my desktop computer originally.

So now realising that I should have migrated the catalogue from Lightroom Classic CC to Lightroom CC, so that all my full size original images would be uploaded to the cloud, so I started a new catalogue in Lightroom Classic (this time opting to catalogue them by adding from the original location - not copying/moving to a new location this time), and then I migrated the catalogue to Lightroom CC (on the desktop computer) and now sure enough I have all my original images in the cloud taking up the space I expected them to i.e. the space used in the cloud is the same size as the photos folder on my desktop computer.

However, the CC catalogue now has twice as many images listed in the default "all photos" collection. Also I saw that there were 2 migrated catalogues listed (each with the original count of the number of pictures) so I guess this is why "all photos" collection set had twice the number of photos that there actually are!

I have now deleted the apparently duplicated collection (obviously not the photos themselves) and it seems to be syncing as I write this.

The question I have really, is because of my 2 attempts at cataloging, am I now going to have the CC catalogue with a permanent record of each uploaded image duplicated?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2017 Dec 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok so I sorted this myself and glad I did as I have a much deeper understanding of how Lightroom Classic CC and Lightroom CC work together (and what I had done to start with was maybe pretty dumb in hindsight)

• So I switched off all synchronisation to my computer and deleted all my entire catalog/photos using the web Lightroom CC (also denied access to my photos in Lightroom CC on my iPad/iPhone to make sure the actual photos original photos weren't deleted).
  • Then catalogued all my desktop PC photo collection in Lightroom Classic (I could have skipped this step I guess and just re-catalogued in Lightroom CC on my desktop computer)
  • Next step was too migrate the newly created Lightroom Classic catalogue to Lightroom CC with the Lightroom CC desktop version
  • After an overnight synchronisation to the cloud, I now have all my original photos in the cloud ready to pulled down and edited on whatever device I want. iPad, iPhone and desktop now have access to my entire original photo library, and no duplication as I had had before (which because of the way I did it first time around, I had one set of full images and a duplicate of those images in smart preview which were not editable on the mobile devices)
  • Next step I will sync Lightroom Desktop CC with Lightroom CC from the sync button

All the steps in the order that I should have done them in the first place (now having the benefit of hindsight and having learnt by trial and error).

So next step I'm going to create a collection containing the original migrated catalogue with the synchronisation between Lightroom CC and Lightroom Classic enabled and then set new photos to be added to a new default collection, so at least if I make a mistake again, and end up with duplicates or smart previews uploaded to the cloud instead of the original images, I will be able to backtrack and sort out any mess without starting from scratch again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines