• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I do custom sort in the all-new Lightroom CC (cloud-based)?

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am not able to do any custom sort or drag the photos for the order I want to. Is there an option for that in the all-new Lightroom CC? The only sort options I have are by capture date/import date/modified date/star rating. There is a custom sort option in the classic one - is there an equivalent here?

Thanks,

Julia

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not yet. Add your vote to this request: Feature request: Sort by Custom/User Order | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This product is useless without the ability to order photos in an album. I see no value in displaying a random set of photos. It looked nice until I discovered this omission. I'll reinstall it when the product is finished.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2017 Dec 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree. This product is useless without the ability to order photos in an album. I have never heard of anyone using the term "album" without the ability to arrange as desired. We shouldn't have to go vote for it as a feature. This is an absolutely minimal requirement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 22, 2017 Dec 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the custom order option is here now, but... I still cannot move photos around. Drag'n'drop does nothing in the desktop app for Mac (and I guess same in other cases). After changing albums, it also goes back to capture date by default. What am I missing? Are we still in beta, but paying for it? Really...

Merry Xmas & happy holidays!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2019 Jan 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI, I am in Lightroom CC (not classic). I have my images in a Album in a Folder and see them in a grid. I select "Custom Order". But I CANNOT move the images around.

What do I do wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davidstegmann  wrote

But I CANNOT move the images around. What do I do wrong?

Nothing. In the desktop CC apps, the custom order is currently read-only. The mobile apps can already edit the custom sort order, so it'll no doubt come in time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I see that I can drag and drop in mobile. Would be nice to see that in desktop indeed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't seem to be able to drag and drop on my iPhone.  How did you do it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is from Adobe's Lightroom iOS Website.....

In the Grid view, you can choose to view a flat grid or segment photos in the grid. Further, you can sort the photos by capture date, import date, modified date, and more.

Tap the three-dots icon () located at the upper-right of the Grid view. From the context menu that appears, choose any of the following options:

Sort By > Custom

Use this sort option to manually reorder your grid photos. 

Tap the edit icon beside the Custom Order option, to show the Reorder panel. Long-press a photo and drag-drop it to the desired location. Tap the Custom Order option again to toggle between ascending and descending orders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2019 Jan 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your timely response but unfortunately this fix didn’t work on my Mac. I found the Custom order option at the bottom of the screen (not the … at the top of the screen) and clicked on it but I wasn’t able to move the photos by using a Long press.

I attached a picture of where I found the Custom Order option.

Any other suggestions?

Alan Green

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this on my iPad and it worked. Hopefully they will get it to work on a desktop.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2019 Feb 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a shame i cannot lie.

Rename this product a beta version, an experimental version, but don't call it Lightroom CC...

I can't believe it's real? I just edited a complete photoshoot using this beta program, to realize we can't change... the photo order?

Rename it, Adobe. And thank you by the way. Very wise.

Lightroom Mobile (Desktop version)

Lightroom Cloud-Based (Beta)

Lightroom Cloud-Based (Test)

Lightroom CC (Mobile, Cloud, Beta, Don't install it)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom CC IS a real program for those who accept it for what it is and who accept it with its limitations. The problem arises because Lightroom CC is constrained by the limitations of the Internet, not just by the programming done by Adobe. Lightroom CC is evolving and growing constantly. If you are a professional photographer who must have certain features then it seems to me that you should evaluate both Lightroom CC and Lightroom Classic CC carefully and decide which one best meets your needs. Perhaps neither one does the job right now. But you must allow time for Lightroom CC to evolve and mature. Someday it MIGHT be something that will meet all the needs of professional photographers. Right now, from what I am reading, it seems to be more for the hobbyist who wants to get their images onto the web quickly so that they can share them and work on them on multiple devices immediately. Yes, some professionals find that Lightroom CC meets their needs. If you can work within its limitations then enjoy it. But don't blame Adobe. They are developing the platform and enhancing it as quickly as they can. That's my opinion, and it isn't worth much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we all understand this, Jim, but only afterwards, and that's the point.

I do think it was a simple marketing decision to call it Lightroom Cloud-Based (beta) or anything like this. CC represents their trademark. They should have prevent those negative reactions, thousands of people calling for issues or missing features. That's basic marketing as well, but that's my opinion.

The lack of features like showing filenames under thumbnails, having colors or any kind of symbol on your thumbnails (to know what's edited and what's not) or a JPEG compression feature when exporting our photos isn't good, but it's ok (now that we understand, afterwards, that it's under development but release under the name of Lightroom CC).

You know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think what needs to be understood is that there are no "missing" features in Lightroom CC. There are no features that have been "taken away" from Lightroom CC. This seems to be, in my opinion, a common misconception among some users. Lightroom CC has been developed new, from the ground up, as a new application, not really taking anything from what some people refer to as the "old" Lightroom. So those who are using Lightroom CC are going to have to let the program mature and grow and accept what it is, as it is, and hope for the features they want in future releases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Instead of developing 100 different in the works apps half baked how about you get some of the flagship apps function that don't even have a work around. Still not working. Pulling my money and build my own. Yeah...convince me 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines