• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What does UR workspace look like?

Engaged ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Snoops, nosy and busybodies want a peek at your workspace. Use your best camera, lighting and angle. Heck use your cell phone if nothing else. Spruce it up in PS. Write something like what you plan to do or wish you'd done to make it better? All this is just to have something talk about that's all. I'll kick it off. Oh yea, also do tell what you used to take the pictures with.

I used a DSC-W830 Sony w/ 20.1 megapixels and 8X zoom.

I wish my workspace was a lot bigger as it's kindda cramped. I want to rearrange things if I ever get to it and I really have to do something about all those dang wires.

DSC00016.JPG

DSC00018.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's obvious: you like maps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dang, I was hoping that didn't show up in the pictures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is a veiled attempt to shame me into cleaning my desk, it won't work.  The top of my desk has not been visible for months.   Nor will it be for several more months...  (sigh).

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL Nancy... Missed you at MAX!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I'll see you in LA!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is all depending where I am... my workspace is next to the  bed....on the bed....at the table!!

Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 18.22.06.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice hoodie, chanaart​!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mines a work in progress because I am about top start a new build.  This ShetchUp mock up shows how it will look (maybe)

I currently have a CM Storm Trooper case that fits in the cubby under the central desk draw, but the CM Cosmos II case I am using for the new build barely fits under the desk at all!  At the moment the desk has a draw unit either side, and the central draw slides on runners attached to the side draw units.  Currently, the  right hand draws only open five inches before hitting my wife's desk, so I am going to trash the right hand draw unit (which has a filing rack I never use) and move the left hand draws to the right side, and angle then so that they open enough to use them properly

The Huge Cosmos II case will go on the left side, and I have made some new legs to support that side of the desk. I belong to a Menz Shed which makes that sort of DIY job a breeze with all tools available).  I 'might' have to make the central draw narrower, or make a new draw.  I'll definitely need to make hanging sliders for that draw.

I support my G910 keyboard on wedges so that the tablet slides underneath.  It's easy to slide the keyboard back or forward so I can use either tablet or keyboard.  My Dell 2790W main screen is dying with vertical lines, and grey whites with a slight colour cast, so that has to be changed, and is an expense I'd have preferred not to have at the same time as the new build, but it is what it is.

I have drawn them in, but the peripheral 24" 16:10 1920x1200 screens are supported on side arms like you see in banks.  These cost next to nothing, and free up a load of space under the screens to lose more paperwork etc.  I might just be able to challenge Nancy for a the most cluttered desk award.

The new build is now underway with the components ordered, but I am told some of them might take a few weeks to get to NZ.  I have never had to put so much time into homing in a spec for a computer build, but with i9X and Threadripper suddenly appearing, and the unbelievable number of issues that arise when trying to combine components that work well together, and are actually available, I have ended up changing my mind time after time.

As Photoshop is 90% of my content creativity (I don't count forums etc. as they are hardly going to stress a system) I could have just used a cheap as chips 6 core options like the $359 8700K, but I use Premiere Pro, Handbreak, and similar apps, so I have gone with the $1000 7900X.

I currently have four SSDs, five HDDs and eight USB3 externals, so I wanted a motherboard with lots of connectivity.  That is going to be the ASRock Fatal1ty X299 Pro Gaming i9.

64Gb G-Skill Trident Z 3600

A pair of 960 PRO 512Gb NVMe drives.  The MB takes three, but I'll add that when I have worked out how best to use them.

The GTX970 out of my current box.  I'll put the GT570 back in and give the old box to my wife.

Cooler Master Liquid Pro 280

EVGA P2 1200W  (the PSU was a bit of a battle because of availability, so I had to go to 1200W to get the spec I wanted)

BTW  Those monitors are five inch TAPCOs.  The drawings were done with Google SketchUp which is free, and amazing and there are thousands of freely available 3D models you can download and incorporate.  It is fairly easy to use, and there are a ton of online tutorials.  It's also a lot of fun, and takes all the 'try it and see' out of designing as you can accurately fit things together, and add dimensions to work to.  I have spent thousands of hours using Autocad before I retired, but I think Sketchup is way better for 3D.  Plus one is free, and the other costs $2500 per year!   That's > twice as much as a full Creative Cloud subscription!  I nearly fell out of my chair when I first looked that up.

3D modeling for everyone | SketchUp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice drawings and descriptions, Trevor, but your desktop is clean. You'll never win the messy desk award.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was thinking the same thing jane-e.  It needs a touch of  realism -- i.e. coffee cups, energy bar wrappers, an inbox stuffed with unanswered mail...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, this closer to what it actually looks like, and I keep on being surprised at what is available in the '3DWarehouse' like the Space Mouse.  The jog wheel I have placed on the desk should be a ShuttlePro2 but they didn't have one of those.  There is a lot more clutter behind the screens including a cat bed — they love being behind the screens because it is so warm there.

I've just realised that I could have just taken a photograph.  This does show the state of my main screen.  All three have large areas of white in this picture, but the centre screen is slightly green, and very dull.  You just see the Storm Trooper case in the knee hole cubby.  The draw is not fitted right now.  For some reason I have _two_ Wacom pen holders on the desk.  WTH is that all about?  BTW  The Space Mouse is pure joy to use with SketchUp, but worse than useless with Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sketch-up is what you used for the drawings? Yes, the clutter makes it real!

But wait--is that a rodeo? Do you have rodeos in New Zealand? I thought that was an American Western thing. I used to go to them when I was a child in the mid-West.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gues the answer to do we have rodeos is, 'for the time being'.   There is a bit of a PC movement against them, but I doubt they'll ever be able to stop them.  I took the picture eight years ago, and it has a nasty over sharpened look to it now.  I have a few more on my flickr stream.

Talking about PC and rodeos, I got myself into a lot of trouble a few years ago.  A PJ buddy took a picture that had a bull rider being thrown, and his hat had flown off and was a yard from his head.  It was screaming out to be Photoshopped, so I took the head off the body and put it in the hat, and made a bloody mess of the stumpy neck.  A bit tasteless to be sure, but I only put the image on the camera club Facebook page, so not for general release.  What I didn't know is that this was a junior class, and the decapitated lad was 15 years old, and his mum was beyond unhappy. 

Luckily I knew how to defuse the situation, so I sent a bottle of these. 

http://raptors.nz/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Harden-up-pills-e1374271213386.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If only she had known that your own photo on the forums has a big hole where your face might be!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines