• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I change white background image (png/jpeg) to transparent while still keeping white part of image?

Participant ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried Quick Selection Tool and Magic Wand Tool but not working because of so much white in the image. I did finally get a done in sections using Quick Selection Tool but it left phantom cut marks in the transparent background, and I had no idea how to get rid of those. I tried making one large cut but it wasn't possible with the white inside the image.

Any idea on how to get this done. I've also tried in Illustrator with no success.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

I still don't understand what your doing but I've figured out a way to do this is Illustrator. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post the photo you're working with?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If its a Background Layer did you first convert the layer to a normal pixels layers so it can contain transparency?

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea about converting the layers? I have this picture in every form from vector, etc. I've posted the png. Shutterstock436540168_copper.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A PNG file is not a vector file.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm aware a png is not a vector. A vector will have the layers.

I need to keep the white inside the image. And remove ONLY the background around the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image Blue area is not contiguous around White you ]would need to add to the blue Selection. It easy to do.. Or you can select the contiguous white outside area and invert the selection

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the images, but not sure what your doing.

The image is still missing a lot of the white image. Is there a way to contain all of the white in the image? I need all of the white inside the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think he's showing you how. Leave white in the areas you want to have white and then have the transparent checkerbox in the areas where you want to be transparent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select what you want or select what you don't want. It is that simple.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For this to be visually consistent you need to make a white border all around the car, with transparency outside. This is a manual selection that you will have to make yourself. It does not exist in the original image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still don't understand what your doing but I've figured out a way to do this is Illustrator. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Can you post the image you want to have an alpha?

2) a jpeg can't have an alpha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

JJMack, can you tell me what you did to highlight the image in your Oct 26th answer on screen shot #2 and the for screen shot #3?  Also, the current version has slightly different headers than you show.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines