• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Activation limit for Lightroom CC?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm encountering a two-computer activation limit for Lightroom CC. It seems deceptive for Adobe to market this product as "edit your images on any device" but still have activation limits just like any other CC desktop app.

Is anyone else running into this?

Thanks,

-Chris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are limited to two active installations on Computers but any number of Mobile devices i.e. iPad, iPhone, Tablet, Android Smart Phone.

All the computers, devices have to be signed on to your single user Creative Cloud account.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, exactly my point.

Why is there an activation limit for computers? And shouldn't Adobe make that clear in their marketing? When you say "edit on any device", I don't interpret that as "edit on any device except for a third computer." The new Lightroom CC seems closer (in both workflows and philosophy) to the mobile client than Lightroom Classic CC, and I don't understand the need for an activation limit. Seems like disingenuous marketing, if not outright dishonest.

-C

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To wit, Lightroom is a single user license, how many computers, devices can you physically use at the same point and time?

All the devices are syncing to the same Cloud Storage so the file in storage will be updated to the edits/ settings input by use of the latest input. Each device does not have its own storage, just saying.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To say only three would reflect a lack of imagination--I'm sure there are people who could use four or more at once. 🙂

The point isn't the number of computers that are sitting in front of me. The point is that having to sign out of a computer in order to use another one defeats one of their selling points for the product, which is the ability to sync photos in the cloud with multiple devices. Here is an example use case with three computers:

1. iMac (big screen for editing)

2. MacBook Pro (for heavy duty field work)

3. MacBook Air (for routine travel)

The simplest scenario would be to leave LRCC running on all three computers, so that any edits on one would sync to the other two in real time. Then you could simply "grab and go" with either laptop depending on your needs, and not be reliant on the internet at your destination to remotely deactivate the other two computers and catch up on syncing. It seems to me that they have hobbled LRCC in a way that impedes one of the product's main features, and I'm disappointed by that choice.

Regardless of whether or not the activation restriction is a good idea, I think they need to clarify in their promotional materials that "any device" does not in fact mean "any device"--it means two traditional computers and multiple tablets and smartphones. And I'm lucky to be an Apple person--if you use a Surface tablet, I assume that counts as a computer, not a mobile device.

-C

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is there an activation limit for computers? And shouldn't Adobe make that clear in their marketing? When you say "edit on any device", I don't interpret that as "edit on any device except for a third computer." The new Lightroom CC seems closer (in both workflows and philosophy) to the mobile client than Lightroom Classic CC, and I don't understand the need for an activation limit. Seems like disingenuous marketing, if not outright dishonest.

Wow! I thought that in the community of persons likely to be customers for Adobe's professional software it is general knowledge that the licensing terms are "activated on only two computers at a time, used on only one at a time." So "any device" means "any one device at a time." If you have the applications on two computers you do not have to sign out on one computer before starting work on another computer—but you must close all CC applications on the first computer before moving to the second. Adobe allows for installation on more than two computers, but if the software is activated (you're signed in) on two computers you must sign out on one of them in order to launch a CC application on a third machine; hence "activated on two computers at a time."

I take it, then, that you jumped in cold, i.e., without researching Adobe products or Adobe licensing terms. The marketing is what it is, but it is neither disingenuous nor dishonest as regards terms of use, because Adobe's terms are freely available to prospective buyers. A quick search of the Adobe site or via Google would have led you to this https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/end-user-license-agreements-faq.html and this

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/creative-cloud-subscription-number-of-computers.html. Such a search might have saved you considerable anguish.

It's worth noting that similar terms are enforced by other makers of high-end graphics software, including Capture One Pro 10.

For grab-and-go as you describe I have been in the habit of copying the files that I want to take with me from my iMac to my MacBook Pro. That was the past. Now I put them in the cloud and rely on Lightroom CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree with you that I should have done my due diligence. I am no less disappointed with Adobe's marketing, and I still consider it disingenuous: one shouldn't have to search the web site to find the fine print if the company is being forthright. Although on closer reading I concede that  the LRCC page reads "desktop," not "desktops". Well played, Adobe, well played.

I don't consider Lightroom CC to be "high-end" graphics software--it has a minimal feature set relative to Classic, and I very much appreciate that they offer a plan that excludes the remainder of the CC suite because I have no use for it. It looks to me like Adobe is trying to expand the market for LR products with the introduction of LRCC, and I'm hoping that they consider this feedback that the licensing terms that are "general knowledge" among the professional community are a disappointing surprise to at least one non-professional user. For someone accustomed to more generous licenses for cloud-connected subscription software (e.g. Apple, Microsoft, Google), Adobe's approach seems restrictive and antiquated. As does the UX related to Adobe Application Manager, incidentally, which is one of the reasons I posted this thread. The bizarre 90's style dialog box made me wonder if this was some kind of mistake--stray code left behind in an otherwise new product.

Regardless, thanks for the update regarding the expectations of the professional community. It appears that Adobe isn't going to comment on this thread, so I'll move the question to Twitter and see if I can get a reply there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It appears that Adobe isn't going to comment on this thread, so I'll move the question to Twitter and see if I can get a reply there.

Adobe generally replies only to difficult questions that catch their eye. Bug reports, especially, but not to complaints about the subscription plan. They've heard it all before.

Anyway, beyond your expression of disapproval of the licensing terms I did not discern a question about using Lightroom CC. What was the question?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines