• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving LARGE TIFF as SMALL PNG w/o aliasing?

Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am being driven crazy with this issue. I hope someone can help and its an easy fix.

I only have large TIFF files to work with. I need to save them for web, but when I open the tiff and place it in the file size/format I need, i get INSANE (what I believe to be) aliasing issues. The only workaround Ive found is saving it to a medium-sized file in comparison to the tiff (4514x1575) saving it as a png. And then opening the PNG and resizing it again with the width at 1440. If it was 1 or 2 images I wouldn't have a problem, but we are updating our website from a much smaller px width and need to update hundreds of photos.

Attached is an image that has 2 guitars. The guitar on the bottom is the twice resized (once from tiff to png, then png to smaller png) you can see that we get fairly decent clarity. The top guitar, is a guitar that is being dropped from its native TIFF to the desired 1440 size. You can see the aliasing on the strings up the neck.

TIA for any input. This is driving me batty!!

Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 2.47.21 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

What resample settings did you use?

Can you post a link to the full size image to try.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! Heres a DL to the image

https://schecterguitars.egnyte.com/dl/vH5Kf0HAqm

The final output of the file should be 1440x502.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Your image was 5616 x 3744 which does not go directly to 1440 x 512 (the aspect ratio is different)

I went straight to 1440 x 960 using Bicubic Sharper (reduction) . I don't see any aliasing issues when viewed at 100%

Sample using bicubic sharper below:

For comparison I also tried bicubic :

and going down in two steps using bicubic

Hard-pressed to tell the difference but the first - one step using bicubic sharper looks best to me

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By George YOU GOT IT! MY GOD. Do you KNOW how long ive been trying to figure this out! It really was a stupid simple fix...only because we were using a template and transferring the TIFF files to a template psd file. WHen hello....just work in the TIFF file and change it directly from there. Your the best Dave! I cant thank you enough

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You should still be able to transform in one go within a template. Does it involve a smart object ? What is your default Image Interpolation in Preferences General (if it is nearest neighbour change it to Bicubic Automatic)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Its already set to Bicubic Automation and is a smart object when placed into the temp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines