• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic CC unable to access photos on an OSX FUSE-mounted Veracrypt volume

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For privacy, especially while travelling, I maintain my photo library in this arrangement:

• Lightroom catalogue file inside a Veracrypt volume on an external SSD
  • Original photos inside a Veracrypt volume on a separate, larger, external HDD
  • Both Veracrypt volumes are formatted Mac OS Extended and mounted exclusively on macOS

This was working fine (speed-wise as well), until I updated from Lightroom CC to the new Lightroom Classic CC. There's no problem opening the catalogue file, but when I attempt to import new photos from the other Veracrypt volume, the list of sources in Lightroom Classic CC's 'Import' window now shows "OSXFUSE Volume 1 (Veracrypt)" and "OSXFUSE Volume 2 (Veracrypt)", which appear empty; whereas Lightroom CC showed their proper names and was able to navigate the folders inside.

Both macOS and FUSE are up to date.

How can I fix this? Alternatively, I'm open to other arrangements for keeping my Lightroom catalogue and photos local and encrypted.

(I'm cross-posting this question from SuperUser.)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi seanakabry,

This does sounds like an issue with permissions on the mounted drive.

Please check that the drive and the parent level folder does have Read/write permissions to import. Also, check that the destination set in the import window is valid.

Refer Permissions in catalog different that on disk—can this be changed?

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your reponse, Akash.

I've confirmed, though, that I already have read-write permissions on the mounted volumes and their contents. Other apps are able to freely interact with the data on them. The catalogue file itself is in one of them, which Lightroom Classic is able to open.

It seems to be the case that Lightroom Classic's Import function just doesn't want to read any volumes mounted by FUSE/Veracrypt. It doesn't seem to make a difference whether the container is on a NAS, an external HDD, or the computer itself; or what file system is used (I just tested FAT and exFAT volumes, which didn't work either).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines