• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Google Photos to Lightroom CC

Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently have all my photos in Google Photos, on their cloud. I want to import all my photos into this new Lightroom CC. How do I do this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

I suggest an alternative to Bill's option.

While this option is okay for a small amount of photos (Google Photos won't let you download more than 500 files at a time), you should instead use Google Takeout service: https://takeout.google.com/settings/takeout

Click "Select none" then select "Google Photo", choose your export destination (Cloud services or links in an email). Wait. Done !

Now, import to LR.

The dream would be to have a plug-in that just let you browse/organise/edit your Google Photos

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

You could download Google Drive's companion app so the whole of Google Drive synchronises with your desktop; including Google Photos. Then set the Google Photos folder up to sync with Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting question!!

In photos.google.com, select your images.  In the upper right there is a menu (three vertical dots) where you can select download.  A shift+d does it too.  That will put your google photos on your computer as JPEGS.  On my computer they were put in a "photos.ZIP" file and I had to "extract" them. 

With them now on your computer, you can then import them into Lightroom CC using the add photos button. 

For my little test, I limited it to a few image files and it worked well and quickly.

Good luck and have fun moving your photos. 

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest an alternative to Bill's option.

While this option is okay for a small amount of photos (Google Photos won't let you download more than 500 files at a time), you should instead use Google Takeout service: https://takeout.google.com/settings/takeout

Click "Select none" then select "Google Photo", choose your export destination (Cloud services or links in an email). Wait. Done !

Now, import to LR.

The dream would be to have a plug-in that just let you browse/organise/edit your Google Photos directly from LR, but I haven't found it yet. Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting an alternative.  I didn't know Google had that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

google photo is not popping up on mine... is there a way to get it to show up there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2017 Dec 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone can think of any other way for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could download Google Drive's companion app so the whole of Google Drive synchronises with your desktop; including Google Photos. Then set the Google Photos folder up to sync with Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm this works pretty flawlessly with Lightroom Classic CC, but I'm still not completely sure how to sync to Lightroom CC. I have Google Drive on my Mac and have set it to sync the contents of my Google Photos account (~150 GB) down to my Mac. In Lightroom Classic CC I imported the Google Photos folder, leaving the photos in their current location. I'm not sure where to go from here.

It appears that my photos I have in Lightroom Classic CC have to be added to a "Collection" before they can be sync'd to Lightroom CC. I tried using a smart collection to do it-- all photos dated 2015, for example--but the sync option is not available for smart collections. It is only available for regular collections (and slide shows?). Adding all of my photos to one collection seems clunky and organizing 30K+ photos into regular collections seems too time-consuming. Am I missing something?

Ultimately, my goal is to migrate all of my photos from Google Photos to Adobe Lightroom CC and eliminate the Google storage charge I am paying each month. I realize I'm scope-creeping this thread a little, but I think anyone who asks the initial question will want to know these details too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2019 Apr 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please ignore my post

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2019 Apr 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cost for an extra TB of space is $9.99 a month. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2018 Jun 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I did. It works quickly and easily. If you don't want to sync all your files and folders you can just choose Google Photos during setup.

Good call mc901

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, GPS data is lost if you try to export from Google Photos to LR as far as I have noticed. Even with take out.

Per

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you export from Google Photos onto you PC, import the file into Light Room, and then export the image (perhaps with a watermark) GPS data is preserved. For example, here is my San Francisco Man.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2022 Jan 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do it this way - I sync my gogle drive to my computer then use those files to upload

https://support.google.com/photos/answer/6193313#zippy=%2Cwhat-you-need-to-back-up-photos-videos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So yeah I'm an idiot.  I forgot I used Google takeaway and put the folder on my Google drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your respons. Will try your suggestion. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines