• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Basic overview of .epub vs .pdf, various devices?

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently have a project for a musician who wants to provide an e-book along with his music files for digital download.

This package will be available via a Bandcamp download link to some kind of archive or zip folder.

My question is, how should I anticipate the appropriate file formats for various devices that are downloading the e-book?

If someone pursues the download via smartphone versus desktop, does it matter whether they get a .pdf or .epub?

Should I provide both .pdf and .epub options or is that unnecessary?

I guess I'm looking for info on how each file type is stored, accessed and viewed across different devices, and which

file type would be best for people who are receiving an e-book as a secondary add-on item (to the music, which is the main product).

The book is short (40 8.5x11 pages in its curent Word form) and will have images. Not sure if that matters.

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you have the skills to create a document in InDesign, consisting of words and images, you can easily export it as a PDF. This PDF can be read on any device that has a PDF reader (most do). The disadvantage is that the text doesn't reflow and therefore it may be difficult to read on small screen, such as smartphones. A Reflowable Text ePub can be produced in InDesign (CS6 upwards) and the text will reflow and therefore be readable on any device, but the reader has to install a ePub reading app and you have to have to skills to produce such an ePub. Many publishers offer eBooks in a choice of formats, including mobi, the format for the Kindle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines