• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 2018 crashes with lasso tool more often?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I just want to know if anyone else is experiencing this since the update? It never use to happen and I thought perhaps it is crashing when I happen to use to the lasso tool, but it has been happening to much for me to consider it a coincidence.

It doesn't happen all the time, I can still use the tool. But once in a while it would just completely make the program not respond anymore and I would have to force it shut.

Is it just me?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

This issue was fixed in the 19.1.1 update released late last night.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

windows OS or MAC ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows

and pressing the alt and making it into Polygonal Lasso is when it seems to happen, but that may just be me using that a lot...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you see a crash report when you go to administrative tools/event viewer/windows logs/application/  for PS.

If there is one can you copy as text and paste it here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I don't think I spot a report from Photoshop per say. I can keep an eye out the next time this same thing happens.

But seeing that I am the one forcing the program to close everytime it gets stuck like so..it might not ever have a proper crash report?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

screen freezes usually occur because of bad video drivers, and memory errors that windows cannot handle properly.

was hoping there would see a crash report in the event viewer.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been happening for years now. Adobe just can't spot years old bugs in their years old code. It happens ALL the time when using Wacom Tablets, which is a damn shame !

Out of all the pro painting apps around, photoshop is the only one unstable with Wacom products. And again : for years. It's just amazing that every time I have to read those : "Reinstall your video drivers", "check your RAM" "Reinstall Windows" and what else ? Seriously... Stop trying to shamelessly put the blame on something else when it's obviously a bug in the code that's there for: years. I've seen the same discussions again and again on forums on this subject.

In the last 4 years I changed my computer 3 times, I had 3 different graphic cards/mother Boards/CPUs, etc, even 2 different Wacom Cintiq. And those freeze happen, always, in Potoshop.

Wacom works like a charm with Corel Painter, ZBRush, etc. One can work for hours, days, months without having to fear a crash because of the stylus touching the surface of the screen. With Photoshop, one has to keep the damn mouse handy all the time to avoid crashes with those tools (lasso + Alt mainly) that just DON'T work. For way too long.

https://hansolocambo.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's funny. It didn't happen to me before this update,must be the combination of everything, star aligning for me what not 😕

good to know anyhow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC 2018 crashes with lasso tool more often?

It doesn't happen more often though to answer the main question. At least not on my side. CC 2018 is way more stable. I thought at first the bug was fixed. But sadly it still happens when using the polygonal lasso tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I just tried with my PC. I do not have any problem with the lasso.
Is it always with this tool that your computer crashes?
cordially

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I'm a 3D modeler, and techniques evolved a lot in this domain in the last 20 years, I moved on to "new" ways of painting using 3D-Coat, Substance Painter, or ZBRush's Polypaint. So I use less Photoshop than I used to. But in my humble experience and as far as I can remember, this happened and happens mainly using the lasso tools (maybe more the polygonal one), combined with Shift / Alt to add to or remove from a selection.

If I do that with the mouse it is always fine (I take the liberty to say "always" as I can't remember ever having a crash in Photoshop using the mouse, or it's extremely rare). But often I'm lazy to go and grab the mouse, so I go on with the Wacom to make a selection and bam ! Photoshop freeze. I just never feel safe using the lasso with a stylus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having excessive crashing issues with Photoshop 2018. Right now, with a combination of using even the normal lasso tool and then painting in the selection with a fairly textured brush. I get that this is a demanding action (with certain density of document sizes), but should, at most, lag, rather than crash the whole program.

And no document back up either? Such a mess! Fix this update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happens to me consistently when adding or subtracting selection with polygon lasso tool specifically. Photoshop will freeze and become nonresponsive, yet I can still see the lines in the ruler move around with the mouse oddly enough. Have to force quit which doesn't present a non-responding program prompt, it just immediately quits. It was happening with my old computer so i figured it was just too out of date, but just got a brand new one with a GTX 1070 card and the problem continues. It only happened on Photoshop 2018 on both computers. Also using a Cintiq so that may have a connection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yes! adding and subtracting was a factor for my crashes as well!

I havn't had a crash since the 2018 update on my CC tho. I am not sure if it is because I have been so conscious and scared of using the lasso tool now....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a real pain in the neck. What happened to the simple Lasso tool? Only the polygonal lasso shows up and it doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating to 19.1.0 my Photoshop CC 2018 crashes instantly when selecting magnetic lasso tool. Can't use tool any more

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem!!! Ver 19.1.0

Windows 10 i7 ssd 16 GBram Nvidia 1050ti

I partially solved the problem by setting "other cursors" in the preferences in standard instead of in precise

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem.  I click with the mouse on the magnetic lasso and it crashes instantly.  Up until a week or so ago it worked. 

FIX IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  We're paying big money to rent this damn program and enrich Adobe by and obscene amount.  FIX IT!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is odd that now more people seem to be running into the issue? Because for me it actually stopped happening some updates ago. (There may be an update overdue for me and now I scared of updating)

it lags with the lasso tool... so it scared me but it no longer crashes. It just looks like it's about to then no..:/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's an update for PS, so I'll update it and maybe it will fix the problem.  Hope so.  Otherwise I guess I can just use other selection tools.  The magnetic lasso isn't even the best selection tool, I guess I like it cause I'm lazy, but I use it constantly.  I'll update this after I try it.  Thanks for replying. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue was fixed in the 19.1.1 update released late last night.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good the hear Jeff

It is just so weird that it never reared it ugly head here

Obviously it was a code issue

Just hate to see stuff like that get into the wild

Jim

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2018 Feb 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My photoshop still freezes when i use the polygonal lasso tool, i,ve arealdy update it to the last version but it crashes anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yep, the problem wasn't fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines