• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Yet another Photoshop CC 2018 Update Problem

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I dutifully downloaded and installed the Photoshop CC 2018 update (home-brew PC with up-to-date Windows 10 and 32GB of RAM), but there are issues. More to the point, I haven't seen these particular issues reported yet (to the best of my knowledge). Photoshop 2018 loads OK when I start it, but when I try to open a NEF file, the file opens in Camera Raw (as expected) but then when I click OK Raw closes and Photoshop freezes, and nothing I do will resurrect it. This has actually been going on for several days, but I haven't had time to deal with it until now. The only way to close 2018 is to use the Windows 10 task manager. As a hedge, re-installed CC 2017 and of course it runs just fine (and was running fine until I downloaded the 2018 update). The Creative Cloud manager tells me my ACR is up to date.

Ideas? Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Go into Camera Raw Preferences and uncheck "use graphics processor". You can do this from Bridge or Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you see a crash report when you go to administrative tools/event viewer/windows logs/application/  for PS.

If there is one can you copy as text and paste it here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened NEF format with Photoshop CC 2018 on windows 10 and everything worked perfectly fine. All the three functions in ACR worked fine (cancel, done, open Image) and it dint freeze the photoshop.

Did you try resetting the preferences of Photoshop CC 2018 & Camera Raw.

To reset Photoshop preferences - 

• Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Photoshop. You are prompted to delete the current settings. The new preferences files are created the next time you start Photoshop.

To reset Camera Raw -

Go to >  Users/[user name]/AppData/Roaming/CameraRaw/Settings. Delete the folder.

If this does not resolve your issue than you can share the log file as suggested by jbm007.

Vishu Aggarwal
Adobe Certified Instructor, Professional and Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go into Camera Raw Preferences and uncheck "use graphics processor". You can do this from Bridge or Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked perfectly, thanks. In answer to other replies, yes, I did try resetting Photoshop preferences, and no, there was no crash report. The program simply froze. Anyway, all is now well (I hope). Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This checkbox should have been "off" by default, that would have saved us all a lot of grief.

The thing is, you don't need it unless you have a 4K or 5K monitor. Then it supposedly speeds up redraw. With a standard monitor, it just adds unnecessary overhead - and crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Agreed. But then I've never been on the other side, so to speak, of an upgrade like this one. I hope we can assume someone made a reasoned decision about it. Maybe posts like these will inform the next upgrade. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines