• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving from Mac to PC....

Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mostly 4k ( Panasonic GH4-GH5), Adobe Premiere 2017- 2018, Some Resolve 14 color correction... I have 4k monitors, 3 external 500 gb ssd drives, 20 tb of 7200 RPM SATA  Drives..... Could I start with this computer?...OMEN by HP Gaming Desktop Computer, AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080, 16GB RAM, 2TB hard drive, 512GB SSD, Windows 10     Processor: AMD Ryzen(TM) 7 1800X Processor, 8-Core, Liquid cooling, 3.60GHz;  Video graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (8 GB GDDR5X dedicated);  Memory: 32GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM; Hard drive and solid-state drive: 2 TB 7200RPM SATA and 512 GB SSD; Windows 10 . Ports: Headphone/Microphone Combo, Microphone jack, 2 USB 3.0 (top), 2 USB 3.0 Type-C(TM) (top), 4 USB 3.0 (rear), 2 USB 2.0 (rear), DVI, HDMI, 3 DisplayPort, 10/100/1000 Base-T Network, and an HP 3-in-1 Media Card Reader, Keyboard and mouse: Comes with the HP USB wired keyboard with volume control and wired optical mouse.... Thanks for advice and comments.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks great to me except for one thing, it only has a 500 watt Bronze power supply  since the GTX 1080 specification requires a minimum 500 watt supply there is probably no or very limited expansion capability.

Also I guess that the OS/applications are loaded on the 500 GB M.2 PCIe SSD but since it is 500 GB I would use it also for your current Premiere Pro project and media files.  Then when done you can archive to the hard disk drive or other external drives .  I do not know the exact model M.2 SSD that they include but I have run the OS/applications and media and projects all off the same single Samsung 960 Pro drive and it worked great

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill, Sincere thanks for taking your time to counsel a newbie. I also noticed the anemic 500 watt power supply... guess I'll have to upgrade to 850 watts or more after purchase.   This is uncharted territory since I've been a Mac guy since 1992. I was going to build a Windows machine but after pricing parts, could not build it for less. I know the Mac-Windows transition will be a big ole can of whoop ass... onward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good luck on your transition.  I once built a Hackintosh so I can feel for you.  By the way when you get your PC you really have to tune it and get riid of all the unecessary junk they automatically load for you if you want a high vperformance system,  You might want to use my Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM)  to check it out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again Bill!..... Man, you really put in a lot of work on your BenchMark test....kudos! Question: When you said, "I am a little disappointed in the GTX 1080 which has that great, new, better GDDR5X memory, well I do not think much of it FOR OUR CUDA processing" were you referring the GTX 1080 having a problem with CUDA optimization?, If so any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it has no problems that I have ever heard about.  I just have been disappoined in that two GTX 1060's at $520 out performs one GTX 1080 at $500 and three months ago the prices were at all time highs the comparison was worse..  But since your HP cannot support a second GPU it is evident that the GTX 1080 that they provide is a great solution.  After you get your unit I will be interested to see what you get for that MPEG2-DVD GPU accelerated score.  CUDA acceleration with high priced cards as you can see is only saving a few seconds where on my 8-core OC system without GPU acceleration is 250 seconds so whether it takes 24 seconds or 15 seconds to perform the same function, n my opinion just is not a big deal.  I think we are reaching a point of diminishing returns.  Rarely will you ever have a timeline packed with as many accelerated effects and feature as my test one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill,

Again thanks for your expertise ( now following you) .... Once I get the machine online ( waiting to get paid from last project which should be next week) then I will test all the components with a rigorous burn-in to see if anything fails.... As you pointed out the power supply seems underpowered at 500 watts....  think I will swap out with 850 watt unit.  While doing this testing I will definitely be using your Premiere Pro Bench Mark app and will report back with some of the results.

Cheers,

Barry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made the transition from Mac to PC about a year ago and yes, it was quite painful at first. I'm now a very happy PC user but I would second Bill's notion of fine tuning your PC once you get it up and running. The bloat of Windows can be staggering. In addition I found the system settings on the PC much more intimidating due to there being considerably more customization so do some web research and watch youtube videos to get up to speed. It's well worth it to switch but if you've been a long time mac user the learning curve when you switch is a bit brutal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Exile192,

Thanks for your sage advice.... always good to hear from someone who has been thru the process. Never thought I would move over to the Darkside ( Ha Ha)  But my last project was a nightmare of rendering.... thus Hello PC!

Cheers,

Barry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines