• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Printing/proofing CMYK

Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so I'm in the home stretch. Calibrated monitor, edited in RGB and then duplicated and converted to CMYK profile (Japan Color 2001 Coated)... destination: unspecified offset printer in Japan. I don't know the paper color, and I'm not going to see the proofs. So obviously I'm not going for perfection here. What I'm wondering is, would it be misleading to get the files printed out at a local laser printer place (they can do CMYK and keep my embedded profile, but their printer is not calibrated to that profile)? I mean, aside from just proofing them for scratches and sharpening... would the increased saturation of the laser printer just lead me astray? Should I just go with my monitor at this point for color, contrast, brightness...?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

A laser print is probably just misleading.

The big variables are white point and black point, and these should be set as calibration targets. Then you can soft proof and get a very reliable preview of what the finished result will look like.

Ideally you should make a direct comparison and try to match screen to an existing print, but if that's not possible a "generic" match shoud get you a long way.

Does your calibrator (or monitor OSD) let you set a black point? This is very important. If it does,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A laser print is probably just misleading.

The big variables are white point and black point, and these should be set as calibration targets. Then you can soft proof and get a very reliable preview of what the finished result will look like.

Ideally you should make a direct comparison and try to match screen to an existing print, but if that's not possible a "generic" match shoud get you a long way.

Does your calibrator (or monitor OSD) let you set a black point? This is very important. If it does, you will probably end up around 1.0 - 1.8 cd/m², depending on the paper. This is nowhere near the native black point of any monitor, and the main reason for the common disappointment at the  finished result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is how you can do it in a calibrator that lets you store multiple calibration targets. Each of these corresponds to a certain output - note the different white and black points.

targets-1.png

The only thing to remember is to relaunch Photoshop when switching targets, it has to load the corresponding profile at startup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an X-Rite i1 Display Pro... will check out the black point settings. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In i1Profiler, the black point is given as a contrast ratio (IIRC). But it's the same thing - just do the math.

If your white point is 120 cd/m², and the contrast range is 300:1, then the black point is 0.4 cd/m².

And if your white point is 100 cd/m², and the black point is 0.25 cd/m², then the contrast ratio is 400:1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D Fosse, I don't see any settings for contrast ratio (IIRC) here... and the white point is measured differently than the luminance. (These are the settings the guy at i1Pro suggested):Screen Shot 2017-10-28 at 2.33.48 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-10-28 at 2.39.32 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The white point has a luminance component, and a color component. I'm referring to the luminance component.

I haven't used i1Profiler for a long time, so maybe I don't remember correctly...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Argh. I was in "Beginner Settings."

For Contrast Ratio, I can choose "Native," "287:1", "Custom" or "From Printer Profile." I can also simply choose "Custom Black Point" with the value of 1.4 cd/m2... I'm guessing that's it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, a question: Do I still select "Black Point Compensation" in the printer profile conversion at Photoshop after setting black point for my monitor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Black point compensation should always be on. I can't think of any situation where you'd want to turn that off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I can't tell you what to pick because it's a purely visual match, heavily influenced by your whole working environment and what light you're viewing the print in. Just get them to match by adjusting the calibration parameters for white point (luminance and color!) and black point.

The aim of this exercise is to arrive at the holy grail: what you see is what you get. Meaning what you see on screen is a reliable representation of what the printed result will look like. The only way to do that is to adjust the screen. You can't adjust the paper itself or max ink coverage. Those are your given references.

The ideal way to do this is to have a printed sample of a file you already have on your computer. Compare directly, and try to match them. Try to "see" paper white on screen, and a black that is about the same depth. If you can't do that, get a print and a reasonably comparable image on screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, thanks... I got everything but this: "Just get them to match by adjusting the calibration parameters for white point (luminance and color!) and black point."

I don't know how to "match" except that by following the default calibration parameters for white point (thank you, Google) plus the black point luminance setting you suggested: 1.0 - 1.8 cd/m². It seems to me that since I can't get a printed sample from the offset printer (I just have access to laser), I should calibrate my black point to the contrast ratio of the printer ("From Printer Profile")? And work in a dimly lit room, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines