• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Storage upgrade to speed up premier pro

Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone, I am wanting to upgrade my current setup to increase my speeds in Premier Pro. My current setup is listed below but I am unaware what route I should take for this task. Whether an NVME, M.2, or just a regular SSD. Budget isnt crazy tight but there is one.

Gigabyte Gaming 3 B350M

Ryzen 1700 OC'ed to 3.9

32 Gb Trident Z Ram at 2933

EVGA 1080ti

250 Gb SSD

1 TB 7200rpm HDD

[Moderator note: moved to best forum]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your media?

How big are your projects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use drones and a GH5.  Most files are 4k. As for project size, it can vary but on average id say between 20-40 Gb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest that you do add a M.2 PCIe x4  250 GB like a Samsung 960 EVO (about $130) to use for your current project media and project files and then when the project is finished archive them to the hard disk drive or other external media to make room for the next project.

Did you tune your computer to eliminate all unecessary processes that steal CPU cycles?  If you would like to test your computer look at my Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not tuned my PC so I will try that tomorrow. I have asked something similar to this in the past and I was told the best way is multiple SSD's that are setup to do something I think called cache and something else, scratch maybe? I cant remember the specifics but the basics were setting drives for specific roles.

Is that something you are familiar with/ recommend?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ran the benchmarks and got below:

Untitled.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Your Disk I/O time of 219 seconds shows me that you exported to your hard disk drive​.
  2. The encode time to H.264 shows me that your GTX 1080 Ti is doing its job but this export time will be better when your CPU is tuned properly,
  3. the first number here of 271 seconds is not bad but could be better when you see what another user got at the same clock speed where he got 253 seconds, with tuning you should be able to reduce your score.  The second number is the pure GPU intensive score and 14 seconds is great.

Thanks for using PPBM there is some dated but generally usable Tuning information on our old web site

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,

Bill, Im saying all these email…. I’ll put them to good use when my computer arrives..

Thanks,

Barry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually exported to my SSD and not my hard drive. So im guessing thats an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download and run that Speccy file and "Save a Snapshot" (not a screen grab) and email (Contact button) to me so I can go over it in detail and see if I can see any reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sent you a message

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went over your Speccy file and your SSD that you export to is 95% full and that is why Premiere had trouble finding space on the SSD to write to.  Another SSD of course would be ideal.  If you do not want to install an internal drive get yourself a Samsung T5 portable USB 3.1 SSD.for you media and project files.  I use one regularly 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that not going to be slowed down due to USB performance? Also, is a external drive gonna be at risk like other external drives of damage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Cross+Aerial+Photography  wrote

Is that not going to be slowed down due to USB performance?

Also, is a external drive gonna be at risk like other external drives of damage.

While different USB 3.1 ports may have different speeds because there are two version Gen 1 is 5 Gbits/second and Gen 2 is 10 Gbits/s if you have the latter here is what you should expect from the Samsung T5 500 GB.

samsung-portable-ssd-t5-500gb-2tb-review_13

Thanks to TweakTown

As far as risk with external hard disk drives with the rotating platter and mechanical read arm's, external hard disk drives are risky, but the all solid state storage devices (SSD's) are extremely rugged

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have an inexpensive USB 3.1 10 Gbits/second plugin board for my desktop and I took the technical challenge you issued to me and went out and bought a new T5 500GB SSD. as you can see I could not quite get the performance that TweakTown got but it still was better than my T3 SSD.

See that 524 MB/sec Sequential write performance from the CDM well when I ran my Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) Disk I/O test with this T5 I got 71 seconds which is 522 MB/seconds write rate directly from Premiere!  Beautiful device

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines