• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Drop-down text not working

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2008 Dec 01, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a user who claims that, "I have updated my system with Microsoft security patches that no longer accept the javascript:kadovTextPopup(this) address as valid, therefore the auto expand does not work."

Is this possible? The auto expand, or drop-down text, in this .chm works for me. And it works for other users. Does anyone have any ideas about what might be going on with this user's computer? And is there any temporary workaround?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not seen any other reports of this. If it were correct, I am sure there would be lots of posts.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could there be another reason why his drop-downs are not working?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That user probably needs to download and register the hhactivex.dll file. Just Google the file name to find many available sites.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Leon

Sorry, but that wouldn't affect drop-downs. HHActiveX is only for Browse Sequences, Glossary tab and if you have an older version of RoboHelp, the funky WebSearch icon support.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are we talking about webhelp or a CHM? Is it installed on a server or locally?

Webhelp should be on a server and CHMs should be local. If they are in the wrong location, you could try a move but I really don't think it will make a difference. Just worth a try.

What happens when the user clicks the link?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a locally installed .chm.

The user who is having this problem is not particularly helpful and does not provide very detailed information (although he does complain quite loudly); however, as far as I can tell, when he clicks the drop-down link, the link is simply "inactive." By which I am assuming this user means it does nothing and does not generate an error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: Gayres
I have a user who claims that, "I have updated my system with Microsoft security patches that no longer accept the javascript:kadovTextPopup(this) address as valid, therefore the auto expand does not work."

Is this possible? The auto expand, or drop-down text, in this .chm works for me. And it works for other users. Does anyone have any ideas about what might be going on with this user's computer? And is there any temporary workaround?

Hello Gayres -

Claim is valid - Microsoft updates (from some time ago) indeed will throw that error. The update changed their security setting. They need to change properties to include your source in the Trusted Zone.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello GEWB -

I thought trusted zones were only for web sites (and this is a .chm). How do I instruct this user to change the properties to include my source in their trusted zone?

I have already asked the user to open up the properties for this .chm and unblock the file (which they assure me they did).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there Gayres

What you probably don't realize at the moment is that the Microsoft HTML Help viewer (CHM viewer) actually relies on bits of Internet Explorer for its display. So the advice for changing security settings is probably spot on.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2008 Dec 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel like I'm getting close to having an answer for my poor, disgruntled user. Thanks to everyone who has helped!

Just one last question, Exactly which security settings need to be changed, what do those settings need to be changed to, and where can I find them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2008 Dec 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot see where you would add a locally installed CHM to the trusted zone so hopefully Linux Rules will come back on that.

Meantime I would make absolutely sure the user does have the CHM on the C drive, they might have an odd interpretation of local. Second make sure they are single clicking, not double clicking. Finally create a new project with a single dropdown and create a CHM. Put that in a zip file and send it to them. Make sure they put it on the C drive and then test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Gayres, I'm wondering if you have tried the following. On the suspect computer, close the .CHM. Open Microsoft Internet Explorer and click Tools > Internet Options. Then click the Security tab. There, you should see a big button labeled "Reset all zones to default level". Click that button and close Microsoft Internet Explorer. Then try the .CHM again and see if the drop-down is now working.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please correct me if I''m wrong, but it's my understanding that more than just the drop-down text doesn't work if the .chm file is not running from the local drive. If he was trying to run the .chm off a drive that was not local, wouldn't this user just get an error message and not see the topic at all? So if he's seeing the topic (and the drop-down text links) can't we safely assume that he is running the .chm locally?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Gayres and Peter -

I had started my reply before Gayres posted that the file was a CHM, thus "Trusted Zone" is technically not applicable.

However, the solution is related to my reply. That is, the user needs to launch Internet Options and check the settings under the Security tab > Local Options > Custom Level... > Security Settings. Set appropriate options under Miscellaneous and Scripting subsections.

I can not tell you what settings to use as this directly affects the security of your Windows computer - ask your sys admin for corporate policies regarding these settings. I take no responsibility for the consequences of changing security settings!

That disclaimer said, here are my Miscellaneous and Scripting settings in Windows XP (note: I'm too lazy to type out the full setting description - you'll figure it out). These are settings on my company workstation (I do not use these settings on my personal Windows computer).

Regards,
GEWB

Miscellaneous
> Access data sources...
>> Prompt

> Allow META REFRESH
>> Enable

> Allow scripting of...
>> Enable

> Allow script-initiated windows...
>> Enable

> Allow Web pages to use...
>> Prompt

> Display mixed content
>> Prompt

> Don't prompt for client cert...
>> Enable

> Drag and drop...
>> Enable

> Installtion of desktop items
>> Prompt

> Launching programs...
>> Prompt

> Navigate sub-frames...
>> Enable

> Open files based on...
>> Enable

> Software channel permissions
>> Medium safety

> Submit nonencrypted
>> Enable

> Use Pop-up Blocker
>> Disable

> Userdata persistence
>> Enable

> Web sites in less privileged...
>> Enable

Scripting
> Active scripting
>> Enable

> Allow paste...
>> Enable

> Scripting of Java applets
>> Enable

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you ask the user to put the CHM on another PC at their location and see if it works on that. If it does, then you know the issue is the users PC. If it does not, can they put it on a PC outside their office. Maybe it is their corporate environment although I cannot think what would cause that.

You can use http://www.acrobat.com to view their PC. Maybe you can see them doing something wrong or something they are not reporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
quote:

Originally posted by: Peter Grainge
Could you ask the user to put the CHM on another PC at their location and see if it works on that. If it does, then you know the issue is the users PC. If it does not, can they put it on a PC outside their office.

Great ideas. Thanks!

If the .chm runs on a different computer, we can start checking the original computer's security settings using Linux User's excellent suggestions.

Again, thanks to both of you for your help -- it's much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp