• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copying-and-Pasting vector art from Illustrator -- which paste option?

Engaged ,
Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am copying-and-pasting vector artwork from Illustrator into a .PSD and want to have the ability to scale up and down the artwork when I paste it, and maintain the highest quality possible. What is the best option for doing this? Smart Object, pixels, Path or Shape Layer in the Paste window?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would use shape layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried shape layer and my design was changed and thrown off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case, you might want to try the other options and see what works best for what you're doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depends. Smart object keeps the vector info and allows edit this info in Illustrator anytime. Path allows using the vector info as native Photoshop Path. Shape Layer is another Ps native function, you can edit some features using Properties panel. Normally I prefer Smart Object because it keeps unchanged all original AI information (vectors, filters, etc).

Marlon Ceballos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

To have your vector copied to Photoshop from Illustrator without size destruction, simply drag your vector from your illustrator screen to your Photoshop screen.

What it will do is - it'll make a smart object of that vector. Click on the thumbnail of the smart object in the layer panel, and you'll be redirected to illustrator to make any changes. Save the file on illustrator and the changes will be directly made on photoshop.

Have a nice day,

Eashan Misra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is really depending what you work flow is.

1. if you want to copy and paste type, shape and maintain it as vector your best bet is to paste s a Smart object.

you can update it at any time  and it will maintain the original look.

2. if you need to create q shape layer and later save it a custom shape your best bet is to place it as a shape layer.

3. If you need to work with a path in PS you can paste anything from AI as a path and manipulate it independently in PS as a vector Path.

4. the last option is the one I use the least pate as a pixel, I only use it if I need an immediate copy but remember it will be destructive since it is going to be a pixel layer.

The good news a bout Vector Smart Object is that you can go back and force to illustrator to update it .

Hope this helps!

Chana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pasting it as a smart object seemed to preserve the appearance of the design best; however, after using Command + T to scale it up, a progress window displays and it reads "waiting for libraries" and it took over 20 minutes before I canceled it. I tried again with the same result. The artwork in Illustrator was not very complex, some outlined text, and shapes....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is strange, Try importing the Illustrator file using File > Place embedded.

Marlon Ceballos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines