Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update .PSD Thumbnails Not Showing

Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I have lost the thumbnail icons in Windows. At one point in the past, .PSD file icons displayed as a Thumbnail Preview of the file. This stopped working a long time ago and I have the latest version of Photoshop installed.

Windows is Pro x64 and Photoshop is also the x64 bit version.

Please DO NOT suggest third party plugins, extensions, DLLs, CoDec packs, etc. I am not interested in third party solutions. This should be a function Adobe enables. If it MUST be from Microsoft, I will pursue that option.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Unfortunately, you can't have thumbnail previews on Windows 10 without installing a third party software.

This thread might help you;

Viewing PSD thumbnails...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi EashanMisra... are you giving the official Adobe or Microsoft response or just your observations? Also I have read every single "alternative" way of doing it which is why I said don't bother posting them... I am ONLY interested in a proper solution to this natively by the OS or by Adobe.

Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you can convince adobe to provide the psd previews, which microsoft told them not to do anymore for windows explorer or you can convince Microsoft to display psd previews, which people have been trying to get them to do for more than twenty years, then 's

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Jeff+Arola  wrote

Unless you can convince adobe to provide the psd previews, which microsoft told them not to do anymore for windows explorer

I did not know that. I wonder why they do not have a problem with third parties doing the same?

Anyway, if there is something free or paid to get psd thumbs in Windows...get it, and get on with your business as I learned to do.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2018 Aug 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft told them not to do this? Is there a link to the policy so we can yell at MS about it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best (free) answer is SageThumbs. It's an open-source system that will help generate thumbnails for over 160 formats. So much quicker doing a Windows search and seeing those thumbnails. Go grab and install, you'll be a happy camper after that.

SageThumbs | SourceForge.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same demand. Not unreasonable I think for software that costs $600 a year.

I can't even place .psd files in Indesign because they're all mystery icons, I'd have to have the memory of a savant to recall which one of my 1000s of images is the one I need.

Microsoft won't fix it, it's up to you Adobe to supply them with the necessary codecs to support your file formats. Or release a Windows explorer plugin to do the job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When it comes to Windows, buy or download a free codec so you can see your PSD thumbnails and get your work done.

If you do not want to, move to a Mac where PSD thumbs are natively supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did try it on some Macs recently, but I noticed a deal-breaker problem with them that appears to be a hold-over from when I was working for Apple and Motorola years ago:

They're all still Macs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft and Adobe has decided PSD thumbnail support is a closed matter.

Just get the proper codecs in, use Bridge, or convert all your PSD files to Tiff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

$600 a year? For Photoshop? I don't think so. $120.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it costs money each MONTH to have an active Photoshop program with current updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem, but found a solution by installing a picture viewer software (Pictus) which when installed will extend into Windows Explorer and show PSD thumbnails. During installation you can check or uncheck which files are associated with Pictus. It is free and works brilliantly without ever actually running Pictus as a viewer.

Here is the link: https://poppeman.se/pictus/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use SageThumbs.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Nancy,

Thanks so much for the recommendation. Really helps me work quicker on a Windows computer when sorting through Photoshop files. For some reason, my Illustrator icons are no longer the orange Ai icon, but the generic blank page icon. Is there some way to get the Illustrator icons back? The same thing for jpeg images...

Weirdly enough, when I deselect Adobe Illustrator from the SageThumbs list, nothing appears to change. Even more strange, when I switch to any of the icon views, the orange Ai icon is there, but not in List of Details views. Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2018 Aug 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct! Thanks! This solved my problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have installed Pictus for this very reason. It does not display CR2 thumbs and displays only some of the PSDs. I don't know why only some of the PSDs but I know file size is not the issue; I have a 23MB PSD with thumbnail displayed right next to a 30MB PSD that doesn't display, also a 144MB that displays, right next to a 169MB that does not.

SageThumbs does appear to have fixed all the thumbs, after adjusting file size preference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2020 Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somehow I solved this problem with SageThumbs by first checking the boxes in the SageThumbs options (see image below, boxes pointed by red arrows), giving admin permissions (also for writing in the registry), which resulted in having NO preview icon for any of the psd files, and then by uncheking them again, giving admin permission: now I have all psd preview 🙂

In synthesis, try this:

• check the boxes below and update
  • uncheck the boxes below and update

Annotazione 2020-08-29 125423.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have started using Sage Thumbs since it was mentioned here - it works almost perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean "almost"??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - didn't see his

I haven't been able to work out which variables are responsible, but there are some images it doesn't work on.  It doesn't seem to be related to (or, rather, causally correlative with) file size or version - perhaps it's a question of some for of object or procedure that may or may not be in the file that makes it happen?

I'm not a programmer, so I'm kind of guessing.  I am, however, a professional level beta tester (which sounds ridiculous - I just mean in-house paid testing, with direct access to programmers) so I feel confident I could probably work it out...  I could take two or three of the files it doesn't work on, and deconstruct them to find the common elements and see if I could re-produce it, but that would take a significant amount of time - Something I'd try to schedule on request but not just at random, for my own amusement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just installed Sagethumbs after reading this thread, so thanks for the heads up.  In my case, it resolved most PSD files with thumbnails, and the limiting factor seems to file size.  Note, I only installed it ten minutes ago, and have not used it before.  So I am wondering if there are any downsides for upping the maximum file size to cover more files?

There is also an option Prefer image file embedded thumbnails and we know that Photoshop saves PSD files with an embedded JPG, so does it make sense to turn that option on?  The default file size was 100Mb when I first installed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2019 Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set the max file size to 1999 Mb as that's the largest a PSD can be before it has to be a PSB and I turned that option on also

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to Trevor Dennis (and others) I now have images for my PSD files I did have to tick the 'prefer image file embedded thumbnails' option and change the max file size to 1999mb as some of my PSDs are over 1gig.

I also ticked the 'show type overlay on thumbnails which identify  the file as Ps or windows photo viewer assigned files much easier than looking for the file extention. It's a shame that Adobe won't do this, seems a case of the customer can have what we want them to have and not what they actually need. 

When I contacted Adobe chat, apart from having to be transferred to a 2nd & 3rd agent they were SLOOOOOOW, about 3 minutes between each reply. Not only that they put the blame on the windows USER ACCOUNT and told me to contact microsoft. Don't hold your breath waiting for a codec from them, use sagethumbs instaed.

Now the next issue. Will Sage Thumbs be adding Canon CR3 support because it seems both microsoft and Canon are not going to bother?

So it's thumbs up to the community and thumbs down to adobe support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines