• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Estimated File Size Issue

New Here ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, with the new 2018 upgrade, I came upon to the issue of EFS not estimating the file size properly.

Speaking of a simple 30 second long H.264 mp4 format, rendered at 3mbit/s (1080p) - it normally wouldn't be bigger than 10MB. Via Media Encoder estimated file size shows up accurate but output after rendering is usually 5-10 times bigger than that with the same bitrate. So that 30 second video now renders at 30-40MB. Currently I have to use a 3rd party compression tool like handbrake after each render. This is a new issue and was not happening in CC 2017. Anyone had this issue with their renders? This is making processes longer and ineffective at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any reply!

E

TOPICS
Export or render

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

I had the same issue just now.

I fixed it by changing the metadata settings to "none".

Hope this helps!

Sylvain

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue just now.

I fixed it by changing the metadata settings to "none".

Hope this helps!

Sylvain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue in 2017. Your solution with Metadata is working! Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue, the solution with Metadata works. Thanksa lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The metadata/sidecar trick seems to work for now, but I have to wonder what the heck is in this metadata sidecar that makes it so big? For example, I have an 8 second 1300x1400 video, the estimated file size is 9 MB. When rendering with the metadata its almost 60 MB! Same exact file with no metadata will be 9 MB as it predicts.  What in the world is in the metadata causing it to bloat and extra 50 MB? Is this metadata / sidecar info important? What are the advantages of including it?  Also the bigger the file more this compounds. I have an 18 MB file and it renders out to 118 MB. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2024 Mar 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks a lot,it works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how can i do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sylvain,
I am also facing the same issue and I did tried  to follow the "metadata" step. However, it is not working for me. I am using Media Encoder 2020. I did the following settings but result is heavy file size.

Actual video is 25MB - with the following settings I have got the file size of 95MB.

1. Adaptive Bit Low Rate

2. Video screen size: 1280 x 720

3. Bitrate Settings : VBR 1 Pass (0.5)

4. Metadata Export Options: None

Kindly advise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2020 Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The metadata fix solved this for me.  Thanks for finding that.  It was driving me crazy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2023 this solution is still working! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2018 May 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem with 2018 12.1.1 Build 12

Trying to create a low res preview of about an hours footage. it estimates the file size to be around 300 mb then creates a file 1.5gb

I've done this both directly from a PP Sequence and re encoding a mp4

I've tried setting metadata to none but no result

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar to Egemen's issue - cannot seem to figure out why the estimated file size is very inaccurate.

I'm trying to reduce the size of the video and instead, it's being uploaded to an even larger size. I use to be able to perform this with zero issues in PP2017, but since the update to 2018, I can't seem to figure this out.

The original video is 90 mb - I uploaded, reduce bitrate, set metadata to none and reduce FPS as well. The estimated file size is 14 mb and once exported, it's now 124 mb. I have no idea what I'm selecting to cause this big jump from EFS to the actual video.

Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same issue. 3 min HD video with lowest H.264 settings (VBR 0.19) and estimated 5 mB encoded to actual 85 mB 16 times larger.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I managed to do it by lowering also the level inside "encoding settings"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 2023 and here we go again. Have the same issue. Trying the metadata hack. What's more curious is that the problem comes and goes and is probably version specific. I'm terrified to update at this point. This is ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2023 Oct 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. This is Pro level software that gets updated far too regularly IMO. You have to wonder whether those who sign off on updayes actually do any real world testing. Sometimes AE won't even export via AME, and now this one again. I have been stuck using versions 23.4 for weeks because anything above that was causing problems. Now suddenly file sizes that should be less than 3Mo exporting at over 60Mo ?! So I update to 24.0 (keeping the old versions just in case) and it's the still same…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is worth, the "metadata hack" works when experiencing the issue, although Adobe's frivolousness in this and many other matters is mind boggling. They're already putting new tech. It's been bugs on bugs for years now. I guess it's a creator's life we have to cope with untill an alternative presents itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just as an update on this. The estimated file size is only available for some (MPEG) formats. Depending on the settings it is really an estimation (!), because some export preset are using VBR (variable bitrate) and depending on the content complexity the final result can be different. You only will get exact results for CBR (constant bitrate).
This belongs to video. If you add audio as uncompressed, the size can be different too. 
A word to the metadata: Even the none option can write minimum metadata blobbs, depending on the format. We already introduced the off options to write noting in addition.
The last point is the system itself: In some case the thumbnail file of the system will be generated and added to the file. This can make a real differents and be visible if the file itself is quit small, in the kB area.
To give you a better control we already introduce a new feature in AME Beta, Maximum File Size, where you can add the upper limit.
image.png
If we would exceed this, we reduce the internal bitrate to let the filesize win over the choosen bitrate. Even there we have to fight with the VBR, with bigger files, it should always be under the maximum value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply but in my case this is not a problem related to 'estimated file size'. I create DOOH and export short files (10-15sec) with very low bitrates (>5Mbps) and no audio which rarely exceed 10Mo for validation purposes. All of a sudden the file sizes from AME are exceeding 60Mo. The same goes for the HD files I create once the work has been approved, files that are usually >50Mo suddenly are over 100Mo. If I export directly in AE the files  revert to normal sizes, but all my saved presets are organised in AME .Something in AME causes this problem, and in a weeks time, or after a couple of restarts, it goes back to normal. And all this all happens on multiple computers.

I will look at the 'Maximum File Size' option, but I often have to respect a specific bitrate (CBR) for the final export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Estimated filesize is just a thread name. H264 files actually render much bigger files. 18 mb instead of 3 for instance. There's a clear metadata issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 25, 2023 Oct 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to chime in and also confirm that I've encountered this issue sporadically in the last couple of years and found the solution to it today by accident. Found this post after finding the solution wanting to post on the topic 🙂

I've also written a Bug report here explaining something closely related to this that happens to me.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-media-encoder-bugs/media-encoder-estimated-file-size-and-metada...

More people should be aware of this as it was driving a friend of mine crazy today. He needed to achieve a really small filesize with a video and he lost a big chunk of time trying to find the solution because it is such a strange problem.

Also disabling Metadata writing make export a little bit faster as Encoder always takes about 5 seconds at the end of each file to write all the data to the file. Makes it feel a little bit more responsive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines