Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Customize Individual HTML Tag colors?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Morning Adobe Forum,

I am working to create "Dreamweaver 2015" style light and dark themes for Dreamweaver 2017-18's code view.

However, I have hit a roadblock. Dreamweaver 2017-18 use brackets as the code editor, and one can create a custom theme by overriding the CSS in the main.less file. However, I can't find any way to target individual HTML tags. For instance, in DW15 the form and input tags take a dark yellow color, where the div tags take a purple color and the table tags takes a teal color.

I am working to recreate these colors but I cannot find a way to target anything more specific than the .cm-tag elements in the main.less file.

Further research shows that brackets doesn't support this by default, but a plugin has been built on github to add this functionality to Brackets. I tried to install the code from this plugin into the Theme folder but to no avail. I tried copying the main.js file and the folders from this plugin into the copy of the light theme I was using to edit the main.less file, but I don't think the main.js file gets fired even if you point to that instead of the main.less file in the package.json file.

GitHub - jzmstrjp/brackets---color-the-tag-name: brackets extension - color the tag name

So, on to my questions:

1. Is there a way to target the colors of individual HTML tag types in DW2017-18 main.less files? Any class more specific than .cm-tag like maybe .cm-tag-form or .cm-tag-input?

or

2. Can anybody figure out a way to install the above plugin into the brackets version that DW 2017-18 leverages for code editing? Or any Brackets plugins at all?

Thanks All!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Hi,

The implementation of Code Coloring in CC 2017 differs from Dw CC 2015, so we can't change colors of specific tags in CC 2017. The most you can go is set a color value to .cm-tag

Regards,

Niharika Gupta

Adobe Dreamweaver

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understood your request correctly, I don't think this workflow is supported in DW. But I am checking with team members for confirmation.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Preran,

Just to clarify, so I create a new duplicate theme of the Light theme. Then edit it.

In the main.less file I can target .cm-tag class to set the color/style/font etc for ALL html tags.

I could even set it on a per-language basis with for instance to target just HTML tags in PHP files: .php { .cm-tag { color: red; }}

However, in trying to duplicate the look of code in DW15 I would need to color input/form, and div, and anchor, and several other tags different colors.

But I can't find a way to target the CSS with more specificity than the .cm-tag level. I'm looking for some class or ID that would let me set the styles based on what kind of HTML tag it is.

Or barring that, I'm looking for a way to install third party Brackets extensions into the Brackets version that DW 2018 uses for a code editor.

I realize I'm on the fringe of what can even be accomplished here, and thank you for your time and consideration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The implementation of Code Coloring in CC 2017 differs from Dw CC 2015, so we can't change colors of specific tags in CC 2017. The most you can go is set a color value to .cm-tag

Regards,

Niharika Gupta

Adobe Dreamweaver

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought so. How about the ability to instal 3rd party Brackets extensions to the Brackets that Dreamweaver uses?

For instance, this brackets plug-in gives each tag it's own class name, so they could then be targeted with CSS from the main.less file.

GitHub - jzmstrjp/brackets---color-the-tag-name: brackets extension - color the tag name

I actually tried to shoehorn this extension into the Brackets extension that DW creates when you copy and edit a theme, but even when I pointed the package.json to the main.js file, instead of the main.less file, I couldn't get any javascript to run in this way.

Thoughts?

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use that plugin (Color The Tag Name) with Dreamweaver.

Please try to copy the plugin directory into here.

C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Dreamweaver CC 2018\Configuration\Brackets\extensions\user

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It works for 2020 too. The only thing is that you need to restart DW every time you make a change. The plugin is very easy to customise, you can select which tags you want to override.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines