• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Script to Image Trace Photoshop file

LEGEND ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know where to start with this. I'm not a scripting expert and there seem to be so many options. I'd like to Image Trace a JPG file and save a vector PDF in the same folder.

Our current workflow is to:

1. Enhance file in Photoshop
  2. Save as JPG
  3. Open JPG in AI
  4. Image Trace using AI preset
  5. Save as PDF in same folder as JPG

This is not a "batch" process since our workflow requires us to complete each conversion before moving to the next.

I would LOVE to see this accomplished without leaving Photoshop, but I don't know how to accomplish this. I even tried using the "convert to paths" option within PS, but don't have enough control over conversion.

Using:

Mac OS X 10.11.6

AI CC 2015.3

PS CC 2015.5

Any suggestions appreciated.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Valorous Hero ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be possible with a cross-application script, but it's a little complex. Maybe I can make a test in a course of a couple of weeks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding, Silly-V.

Another thought is to create a "drag-n-drop" script for Illustrator that would save a vector PDF of a JPG that is dropped onto the script.

I don't know if this is any simpler.

FYI… I have been testing a Mac-only Macro builder called "Keyboard Maestro". It allows me to "stack" actions (scripts, keyboard commands, etc.) together using a UI. I might be able to use it to combine several scripts more easily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I also use it! It would actually work, for doing cross-app scripting because I believe it can use applescript to run and get results from javascripts (or just use applescript for the whole thing) synchronously.

One thing I'm not experienced with yet is live tracing with Illustrator scripting, I think there were some preset issues a while back.

That's what I'd make first - and if you can actually record an action doing the live trace with preset, this would be a good solution right out of the gate, but I'm not sure that's recordable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know about Illustrator scripting and live trace presets, other than some threads on this forum.

My experience with Actions has been they did not recognize the custom Image Trace preset and ran the "default" preset instead. If the "default preset" can be changed that might be a good solution since this is our only use of image trace in our workflow.

I appreciate your time, Silly-V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'll try to test the tracing first, but it will take a few days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines