Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy & paste vs new layer via copy

Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone

I've got a slow period at work so thought I'd swat up on some Photoshop tutorials. Probably a silly question but I came acorss one guy's tutorial who did command J to create a new layer from a selection he'd made, I've always done copy and paste which also creates a new layer of my selection. I admit there are less keys to press with command J but is there any difference between doing that and copy and paste? Have I been doing something wrong all these years or just doing it the long way? haha

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No difference when copying a selection but it is different when copying a smart object layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great thanks both, from googling there didn't seem to be any difference.

As for copying smart layers, should I use command J then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That depends on what you want.

Command J makes a duplicate that is linked to the original which means if you edit one the other is also changed.

By copying and pasting you create a duplicate that is independent of the original. Editing one does not change the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great thanks Ronald, that's very helpful indeed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines