Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to *Really* delete books and topics

Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2008 Dec 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I need to completely delete large parts of a RH project since the material is now obsolete. It is much more convenient to perform the deletions by navigating the TOC, since I know where everything else. The problem is that when I delete a book or topic from the TOC, it is only the TOC entry that I am deleting, not the actual reference in the Proj Mngr HTML Files tree (and certainly not the HTML file itself). So I would then have to go back and delete those.

So it would be more "efficient" to perform the deletions in the Proj Mngr HTML Files tree. But they are not ordered in any logical order; only in ABC order.

So ... is there any way that I can delete a topic from the TOC pod and *really* delete it?

Tia,

- avi

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi avi.

I'm afraid there isn't. It is good practice, particularly in larger projects, to organise topics into folders inside your project. If you have these, and these mirror your TOC structure, you can identify your topics a little easier. If you don't, you'll have to delete the topics from the topic list. Note that this also deletes the relevant TOC entry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> It is good practice, particularly in larger projects, to organise topics into folders inside your project.

I agree. In this case, however, I had little say in the matter: I had reverse engineered a CHM file, with the help of this forum, and succeeded in recreating the RH HTML project file, incl the TOC, However the HTML file list is flat - no folders. Unless there is a solution for that also.

Tnx,

- avi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry avi but I don't see any easy solution. Perhaps you'd like to submit a feature request for an option to delete a topic as well as a toc page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please don't. I can see someone intending to just change their TOC and trashing their project in the process.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

avi, it would be just a smidge on the tedious side, but what about this as a workaround?

Edit the TOC as you are. Right-click each of the topics in the TOC that you wish to delete. Choose "Show Topic Links" from the context menu. This should present the topic in the Link View tab over in your Document Editing Pad. You could then Right-click the topic in the Link View tab and delete it from there.

It might be easier than locating the topic in the folder and squashing it that way.

We do see the request a bit to remove topics from the TOC and the project. I might suggest asking for the following change. Configure RoboHelp to offer an option that provides a prompt when deleting a topic from the TOC view. The prompt would ask us if we would also like to remove the topic (or topics) from the project too. I would also wish to see an option where I could turn off the prompt if I choose. In that case, deleting would only remove references from the TOC structure.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I don't know if this will work but it does in RH 2000. Delete all of the items from the TOC and then open the topics view. This view is color coded for items in the TOC. You can quickly select all of the items not in the TOC and then delete them from the project in one fell swoop. CAVEAT: If you have any topics not in the TOC, but that you want in the project, you might end up deleting those as well. This technique works for me because all of my popups that are not in the TOC have lowercase file names and are put in separate folders. Every other topic is in the TOC.

Good luck,

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John

Unfortunately with RoboHelp 7 we no longer have that way cool shading. But we do have a column in the Topic list view that indicates TOC. So perhaps that would work.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2008 Dec 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> Delete all of the items from the TOC and then open the topics view.

Very nice idea, if only it would work in Robohelp HTML 2007.

Thanks for the idea,

- avi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2008 Dec 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> on the tedious side

>> Edit the TOC as you are. Right-click each of the topics in the TOC that you wish to delete. Choose "Show Topic Links" from the context menu.

Yes, it is a bit on the tedious side, but it least it is a straightforward, methodical method.

Until something better appears ...

Thanks!

- avi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2008 Dec 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Well I recall seeing other applications that require a Shift button together with the Delete button to perform a real deletion of whatever it was that is desired to be deleted.

2. In addition, there could be a prompt to the user: "This will really delete your HTML topic file <name>. Are you sure?"

(And then another one: " Are you really really sure?")

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2008 Dec 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shift Delete is OK. I am just concerned about users who have been hitting Delete for years just to remove something from the TOC, not the project, suddenly finding their project trashed just so to meet this requirement because someone didn't properly structure the project in the first place.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 12, 2008 Dec 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Instead of changing the existing function, which is likely to cause people grief, what about adding a separate, new function that would be available from the Edit menu: Delete selection from project.

Just a thought.

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp