• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

3D file Importing?

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What 3d file formats are supported for importing?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Hi

Thank you posting your query on forums.

We can only import .OBJ format in Dimension CC.

Please provide any crash or error message you get while importing the .obj file.

Regards

Parth Vyas

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.obj is the only one I know that works.

.blend and .3ds can't be imported

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but I can't open my .obj files!

why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Idk, but you'll probably need to provide more detail to get an answer. Any error messages? Show us some screenshots of trying to import it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thank you posting your query on forums.

We can only import .OBJ format in Dimension CC.

Please provide any crash or error message you get while importing the .obj file.

Regards

Parth Vyas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to import .obj files exported from Rhino. It's not working and I'm not getting any error messages.

It would be nice with some more information about recommended settings etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. I save a file to .obj from Rhino and when I try to import it doesn't work and no error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I request you to please these settings while exporting .obj from Rhino

dimensioncc

Source :Obj export settings for Adobe Dimensions / Felix - Rhino for Windows - McNeel Forum

Regards

Parth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. That worked. However, only from Rhion5. I wasn't able to get output from Rhino4 to import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those settings do not work for me. I'm using Rhino 5 on a Mac. When I drag the file in, Dimension highlights where it can be placed, so it looks like it should work. But when I try placing it, nothing happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I would request you to try importing the file from File>Import>3D model.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a known issue with Rhino 5 files not importing, but we do not have a fix yet.  It does seem to be a Rhino specific issue and we have it on the list to investigate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it again and it worked. I must have missed a setting or something last time. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to import a .obj file and it is giving me an "Unable to Import Model" error. 

This was an .IGS file created from SolidWorks and converted to .obj with CAD Exchanger program.  The file size id fairly large and has many different parts and assemblies. I tried a similar file previously that had fewer parts and assemblies, and it worked fine. It makes me think there is a limit to the number of assemblies and parts.

The initial IGS output setup for the file converter was "Exporter Version V2" with "Manifold Solid B-Rep Object" selected.  I also tried the "Bounded Surfaces" option, and the "Exporter Version V1" option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please send the .obj file to tickets@adobedimension.com with the same description you added above and we can take a look.  There are no hard coded limitations on import size or parts, but it might be something we just haven't tested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had previously been able to import .obj files from Strata 3D but it no longer works.

The mesage that shows on screen is attached.

This really isn't acceptable. It gives me no reason for the problem.

I may be looking for different graphics software very soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the problem is that Strata 3D does not make a standard file type... same issue as Rhino since you jumped into an old thread with 'me too'

Dimension gives no reason for the problem because it doesn't know, i.e, AI is dum as dog food test system that still has a long way to go but I agree its past time for you to move on to other software because Dimension is finished now and Adobe has moved on to Stager

some have moved on to Blender, a few [myself] pay for Iclone and there must even some that like Stager... good luck picking what's best for you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks for looking into this and replying.

Am I to believe Dimensions will be discontinued and we will have to pay
extra for Stager over and above Creative Cloud ALL Programs subscription?

Regards

Cheers
John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines