• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"File not found. Check the file name and try again" Error when saving

New Here ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I attempt to save a Photoshop file, I get the error "C:\directoryoffile File not found. Check the file name and try again."

This happens even when I have never saved the file before (new Photoshop document with a single change). I cannot save in any file type to anywhere on the computer BUT the Creative Cloud folder, which is really odd.

I've reinstalled Photoshop and still get this error.

I am running CC 2018 and the latest version of Windows 10.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as not being able to save is very very inconvenient.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Capture.PNG

If you are using Windows, disable this...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just taking a shot but are you logged in as an admin account? I'm wondering if your HD is locked to changes as a user. It seems like a permissions issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It only seems to be Photoshop that comes up with this error, not others such as Word are affected. I'll check if Windows Defender is stopping it as part of ransom-ware prevention.

Edit: Adding Photoshop.exe to the Controlled Folders bypass within Windows Defender Security Centre seems to have solved my problem. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue and this method worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I was banging my head over this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how can i check for that or do that? its pretty urgent im with illustrator cc 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2019 Aug 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

go to settings, then search for folder control access, it will pop up

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! this was a great help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HAS HELPED ME TOO THANKS,ADDED ALL OF THEM AND IT WORKED.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Michaels,

I have this problem the same you. I had solve it by turn off Windown defend controlled.

I can do like it : Windows 10 Forums

Good luck for you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2018 Apr 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I have been searching for a solution for this problem for a couple of weeks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really turn off Windows Defender but you can turn off just one feature, the Controlled Folder Access

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you ! This works !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2018 May 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So we have to turn off Defenders to be able to save? What kind of a program is that? Photoshop shame on you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture.PNG

If you are using Windows, disable this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

resolved, Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2018 Sep 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks buddy this really worked for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. It works! love u!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

resolved to me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2019 Feb 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually you can Allow the app to pass thru 'Controlled Folder Access'.... leave the Controlled Access - ON >>click " Allow an app through Controlled Folder Access" Navigate to the Program Folder & select the Application you wish to pass through.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2024 Jan 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In 2024 Adobe STILL has this problem. Disgusting!  I recall having to turn protections in Windows off and on all the time to use the thing, or figure out how to make PS an exception (I'm not a techie so very hard). Here we are again....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2018 Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

turning off CFA worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also received the "File Not Found - Try Again" window in Photoshop when attempting to save to the desktop.

Adding Photoshop to the Apps list in Windows Defender (see above) worked for me as well. I can now save to the desktop.

BTW - I had to resort to using Windows Defender temporarily because Avira was conflicting with Chrome, cause it to micro-stutter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked like magic! Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2019 Nov 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help! This worked for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines