Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance

Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Just build my Threadripper system (1950x, 32GB, 1080 Ti) and what I notice is that the scrubbing performance is pretty slow compared to my Intel laptop (i7 4790K, 32GB, 970M). I'm using GH5 ALL-I 4K files. Files are on SSD raid on Threadripper system and single SSD on laptop. Playback is ok, but scrubbing timeline is really bad.  Both systems are just installed with Windows Fall Creators update. Is premiere just badly optimized?

[Moderator note: moved to most appropriate forum.]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 04, 2019 Jan 04, 2019

Team Threadripper:

Please upvote this bug: Better Threadripper Support – Adobe video & audio apps

Hope we can get this solved for you all.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when i press to play back the video on timeline , Premiere's reaction is like 1 sec delay, both timeline and preview screen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Playback is not the problem for me. Although that could also be better. My main problem is that scrubbing the timeline is really jerky/slow. I think Premiere needs to be better optimized for Threadripper. Could someone from Adobe comment this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don't you test your system with my Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) and see how well you have your system tuined.  I have received some great results from another Threadripper owner who is extremely satisfied with his system. Please Submit the required two files and maybe also post the results here also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are my results:

"84","58","16","214", Premiere Version:, 12.0.0.224

Don't know if it is good or bad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the results of a well tuned Threadripper

"34","52","13","158", Premiere Version:, 11.1.2.22

1. Lets start with the CPU intensive where you have 214 seconds and Max has 158 seconds.You evidently have lots of garbage processes running that are stealing CPU cycles
  2. Both of you have GTX 1080 Ti GPU's, and the third number, your 16 seconds and his 13 seconds are not much difference both are working great.  There could be slight GPU memory clock differences.
  3. The other GPU accelerated test the second number is highly GPU intensive but also is CPU dependent which is probably the reason for the difference between your 58 seconds and his 52 seconds
  4. The first number is not critical it is the disk intensive score and depends on where you send the exports.  His was apparently a 960 EVO and you stated you have some sort of a SSD RAID system.

Turn off most all programs in Task Manager/Startup.  What AV are you using?  Any special plugin;s or other video programs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Windows 10 default AV and don't have any plugins installed. Ran the test again. Now moved it to C: drive which is m.2 PCI-E drive. Strangely scores got better except drive benchmark:

"113","55","16","147", Premiere Version:, 12.0.0.224

But the lousy scrubbing performance is still the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off disk drive indexing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problems of poor scrubbing but also terrible playback, with my 1950x 64GB 1080ti m.2. I can't even play the blank space before the clip on the timeline without losing frames!! 2 Days wasted with no end in sight. Help!! Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has to be a Premiere/Ryzen/Cuda problem. Outside of Premiere I find all videos play fine, even 4K phantom vision but in Premiere 2017 or 2018 it is unusable.

Premiere 6 plays fine. What to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dutchy_on_a_bike  wrote

It has to be a Premiere/Ryzen/Cuda problem. Outside of Premiere I find all videos play fine, even 4K phantom vision but in Premiere 2017 or 2018 it is unusable.

Premiere 6 plays fine. What to do?

Why is it that that I have had nothing but praise from several users.

What motherboard are you using?

Test your system with my PPBM.

How many processes are running after bootup, see my desktop computer below.

Your statement "Outside of Premiere I find all videos play fine" has absolutely no bearing on playing in an editor

Report on your processes and what numeric version of windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 26, 2017 Nov 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI, im having the same issue.

I want you to test something to see if it mimics my results.

Drop a marker on the time line then grab the marker and scrub.

Im finding im getting terrible scrubbing performance even with proxied media, but when i drop a marker and scrub the marker it scrubs as i would expect it to (nice and smooth). This suggest to me some sort of optimization issue.

Let me know if this works for anyone else.

My system specs

1950x threadripper (creator mode)

Asus zenith extreme

gtx 1080 ti

64gigs ram gskill class 16 pc3200 2133mhz

Samsung 960 evo m.2 (OS and Apps)

x2 Samsung 850 evo SSD (in raid 0) adobe cache

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI i did the PPBM test

i got "1027" "36" "14" "44"

I realize my hardrive speed is slow, but because im using proxies in my workflow this shouldn't matter.

Also the fact that i can get smooth scrubbing by placing a marker and scrubbing the marker confirms this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Te+Rurehe  wrote

FYI i did the PPBM test

i got "1027" "36" "14" "44"

I realize my hardrive speed is slow, but because im using proxies in my workflow this shouldn't matter.

Also the fact that i can get smooth scrubbing by placing a marker and scrubbing the marker confirms this.

1. That 1027 second score for your disk system is a transfer rate of 36 MB/sec which is like trying to use USB2 for editing and is no way near enough for any kind of editing, even proxies.
  2. Your 44 second number is an impossible score for the CPU intensive timline export.  I have found that Premiere 12 does not remember export settings so may that was the problem.
  3. Your 14 second score for the strictly GPU score is right on the button for your GTX1080 Ti
  4. The 36 second score for the very complex H.264 timeline export is very good if it is correct but here is the score that a very satisfied Threadripper owner has:

"34","52","13","158", Premiere Version:, 11.1.2.22

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, im not sure whats going on with the disk speed, i can assure you im not having any editing problems proxies or no proxies. I must have messed up the test some how, I tested the stardom drive where i exported the media to, and the drive speed is fine. Not fantastic but fine.Untitled-1.jpg

The score for the cpu "44", i sat there and watched it go, unless i made a mistake somewhere. It did indeed take 44's. I might try that one again cause its so far off what every one else got. I must have accidentally done something somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After redoing the test i did indeed mess up.

I moved the project to my cache drive so i did end up with a better drive speed test as expected.

"73" "41" "14" "135"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2017 Dec 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same configuration as you with the EXACT same problems. I have tried game mode to disable the second CPU but performance only increases slightly. 2017 version is better the the new version. I have NO IDEA how to fix this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have another update.

My main media was being accessed through the network, so i tried moving things to a local drive (stardom raid 5 drive, it is still a slow drive but its local). I found a very slight improvement but still not ideal, and again using a marker to scrub yielded very smooth scrubbing. So it got me to thinking to turn off "play audio while scrubbing" (edit>preferences>audio> then untick "play audio while scrubbing").

Then boom, buttery smooth scrubbing.

This is quite weird as my cache drive is raided ssd's reading and writing at 500MB/s plus.

I do prefer to have audio scrubbing on, but in this situation i'll forgo that for buttery smooth scrubbing.

Well, hopefully this helps as somewhat of a work around. Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the scrubbing with the marker and without and it didn't help. What I have worked out is that .MXFs are awful on the Threadripper, Long GOP or Intra frame. My ancient MacPro 5,1 with a GTX 980 flies though that stuff even with Lumetri. My solution was this; and it is not pretty. On my desk I have the MacPro 5,1 and the 1950x PC, from the Mac I access the .MXFs and use Edit Ready to transcode the files to ProRes, saving them back to the PC. The files never leave the PC. I then set my timeline to ARRI 1080P/25 and ALL IS GOOD!! NO DROPPED FRAMES. I'm lucky I don't need to export back to ProRes, all my work is exported h.264 for Online or TV Commercial broadcast. But there is definitely something wrong with the 1950x/Premiere combination. Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, im also dealing with MXF's from the Sony FS7, 1080p and 4k 25fps.

Did you try my latest workaround re-turn of audio scrubbing.

I'm thinking it wont work cause it is essentially the same thing as scrubbing with the marker, but still worth a try to be sure.

My issue seem to be more around the cached audio rather than the MXF video. For my setup i've cached the audio away from the MXF location. Im curious where do you cache your audio files?

Im now finding that even with proxies turned off and accessing the files through the network (1gbps) with both the 1080p and 4k synced into a multi camera sequence in the preview window, im still getting smooth scrubbing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried scubbing the timeline using HD and 4k Long GOP from the FS5, with audio scrubbing on/off using the playhead and also using a marker, for me, it didn't make any difference. It was still choppy. Just playing the vision, drops hundreds of frames. My boot drive is an Samsung 960 Pro EVO M.2, my scratch is another Samsung 960 Pro EVO M.2, and the vision sits on a WD Black HDD. Even with the vision sitting on an SSD, it still has choppy playback. So for me, the ProRes transcode has fixed everything. Ironic that ProRes works smooth on the PC. Working natively in .MXF is just not possible. The reason I bought a new computer was to avoid transcoding. The Mac Pro 5,1 could work with any format smoothly but 4k was where things started to have problems, hence the reason to buy a new computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is definitely a local hardware issue i think. If it were a threadripper MXF cuda issue i would be having issues as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might be right. It's possibly an issue with the drivers for the MSI GTX 1080Ti and 1950x. What I can't work out is why the .MXFs play fine outside of Premiere in VLC, even 4k Long GOP from the FS5 are smooth as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Playing a file versus editing there is absolutely no comparison.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2018 Jan 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a threadripper 1950x a 1080ti gaming SC Black Edition and a 960 Pro boot 512gb. Scratch files going onto a 1-terabyte wd blue. I noticed that every time I add an audio file Premiere starts to freeze up and I cannot do anything. The play head freezes up and I cannot move the mouse sometimes. It is very strange if I delete the file from both the timeline and the folder it will go back to normal. I've noticed if I make folders for the music it goes away. Can anyone explain why this is happening? Note I'm very new to premiere! Only 2 months under my belt I bought this computer just to get over not being able to use the program on my laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines